New kickoff/fair catch rule.

renofox

Reaction score
XFL to the rescue? Maybe?

XFL rule: The kicker lines up at his 30-yard line, with the other 10 members of the kickoff team lining up at the opponent's 35 -- 5 yards away from the returning team. Only the kicker and one returner can move until the ball is fielded. Touchbacks are spotted at the 35-yard line.

I've never seen it, but it does sound interesting.

Anybody here seen it? What do you think about it?

CouchLogic

Reaction score
Just start at the 20, do away with kickoffs. They're a waste of time at this point, I guess more commercials can play while everyone has to walk off the field. Kickoffs haven't been relevant since Hester.

Last edited:

flv2

Reaction score
I still believe the best solution is to replace every kickoff with an artificial 4th & 10, 15, 20, or whatever yardage you prefer. Punts are less dangerous than kickoffs but provide similar excitement. I wouldn't miss onside kicks.

Hawk4life

Reaction score
I'm not sure how this one is going to play out. At first this seems like a nothing burger but when you think about it, kick returners are probably just going to call for a fair catch on everything because they are going to be even more worried about making the 25 yard line. This pretty much makes kick offs totally irrelevant unless you have an extremely badass returner that you are willing to risk every time.

Since the 25 yard line I think most teams only run when it is close to not making the end zone.

Last edited: