New mock draft: 14th Jan

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
pehawk":3f89i313 said:
Urban Meyer skill players are usually very raw. Goes with the territory. Percy Harvin didn't even really have a position at Florida, Urban just throws out athletes. Offensively things are very simple.

Not sure if that supports or negates your stance.

Percy Harvin doesn't really have a position period.

I guess I wasn't really making much of a point anyway, just saying that there's not enough out there for me to be comfortable in his ability to provide good value in the first round. As you say though, Meyer's players can be raw, each one has a role in that system and Smith might well be able to do more than he's shown. There's certainly glimpses of his ability to do more than run deep, but not a whole lot.

He's got a pretty wicked drop the shoulder/double move though, makes quick cuts and can stop on a dime. Even though I thought he showed a little more, Richardson was predominantly a deep threat in college too and he started to look like a well rounded receiver before going down.

I know we've got a Super Bowl to win first but I can't wait to see how we go about the draft. WR was a need before Richardson went down, it will be interesting to see how we deal with that. We don't know what's going on with Lynch, might Gurley fall to us? Will we even like him? With Maxwell possibly/probably gone and Simon's health unreliable up to now corner becomes a priority. That D-line could do with an end and a tackle. We might have a spot at LG to fill too, and though Bailey's been a reliable backup, our depth across the whole line is relatively thin, and it's a position we've consistently picked up a lot of injuries.

It'd be a great year to end up with seven picks in the first four rounds (which looks possible at this stage).

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Looks like Kiper has been reading your stuff Rob. He has the hawks picking Smith too.

kearly

Reaction score
I think Gurley is good, but maybe not as good as the hype. He seems like a Turbin-esque linear runner with insane athleticism by college standards. I think the closest comparison is Knile Davis. Of course, Knile Davis has looked pretty damn good in the NFL when he's played, despite having some flaws.

What I do love about Gurley is his ability to maintain his speed when running over or around downed bodies. He is a good match for a power ZBS exactly like the kind Tom Cable runs. He is a plus improvisor too. I don't think he's all that much like Lynch, but I think he could still put up great numbers for Seattle.

Devin Smith feels insanely Seahawky, but PC/JS seem to find players like him very late in the draft, which makes the 1st round asking price feel steep. I like the guy, but I think he's redundant with Kearse and Baldwin. He's not the red zone mismatch we need. Maybe Seattle drafts him anyway. The redundancy issue didn't keep them away from Richardson and Norwood.

Kevin White is a tough one. He is impressive in just about every area but doesn't have the 'wow' factor that a 1st round WR should. I think he'd be a nice fit in Seattle, and wouldn't complain about the pick.