New Pass Interference "reviewable" rule

jeremiah

Reaction score
The solution is the dump the instant replay entirely. It is a joke and has always been a joke. Add a rule where the result of the game can be overturned, or the ref gets fined then fired for grievous errors. ANYTHING but Instant replay.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":zjd6gltx said:
This will ruin the game. They will take 4+ Hours to finish.

How? Are they increasing the amount of challenges each team has per game?

nIdahoSeahawk

Reaction score
mrt144":24oyb22v said:
nIdahoSeahawk":24oyb22v said:
The only thing that makes me nervous is that it hurts teams when there were multiple issues with a play that the refs held their flags on. For example, the Sherman INT a few years back that could have had PI called on his contact with Fitz. There was an illegal hands to the face by Fitz at the start of the play. The refs let both calls go. If that happened this season, it gets reviewed and they call PI, ignoring the call they should have made on Fitz, which would offset.

In scenarios like that, this new rule has the potential to negatively impact the game.

Julio Jones?

Well that’s embarrassing. This is what happens when I try to remember a play first thing in the morning. Edited my original post, and thanks for the catch.

mikeak

Reaction score
nIdahoSeahawk":1ekztikx said:
The only thing that makes me nervous is that it hurts teams when there were multiple issues with a play that the refs held their flags on. For example, a Sherman play a few years back that could have had PI called on his contact with JJ. There was an illegal hands to the face by Julio at the start of the play. The refs let both calls go. If that happened this season, it gets reviewed and they call PI, ignoring the call they should have made on Jones, which would offset.

In scenarios like that, this new rule has the potential to negatively impact the game.

NBA has this issue. Ref thinks defender hits the ball last before out of bounds, so he says team on offense keeps ball.

Last 2 mins so review

Clear as day on review defender hit offensive player hands but not ball. This should be a foul. However they can't rule a foul only who touched the ball last which was offense.

Defense incorrectly get possession

Only true solution is a new call being allowed. One where ref says he hit ball and if that is wrong hand.... That way offense gets ball no matter what

mrt144

Reaction score
nIdahoSeahawk":85vfyfnx said:
mrt144":85vfyfnx said:
nIdahoSeahawk":85vfyfnx said:
The only thing that makes me nervous is that it hurts teams when there were multiple issues with a play that the refs held their flags on. For example, the Sherman INT a few years back that could have had PI called on his contact with Fitz. There was an illegal hands to the face by Fitz at the start of the play. The refs let both calls go. If that happened this season, it gets reviewed and they call PI, ignoring the call they should have made on Fitz, which would offset.

Julio Jones?

Well that’s embarrassing. This is what happens when I try to remember a play first thing in the morning. Edited my original post, and thanks for the catch.

Man, the coffee was just kickin in for me and thats the only reason i caught it. :irishdrinkers:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'll never forget that play. Jones basically punches Sherm in the head before Sherm interferes with him. And yes, he did grab him early. Should have been offsetting, one more play. Yet, when they showed all the replays on Inside The NFL etc. they magically edited that head punch out of the video. :roll:

themunn

Reaction score
Tical21":1i6nnso1 said:
It's mere existence negatively impacts the game.

Final 2 minutes are now going to take 30. Crap receivers are going to get 40 yard plays because slow motion shows they got touched by a DB. The solution is far worse than the problem ever was.

Except that the number of challenges remains the same as always at 2, with an extra if you win both, and that coaches cannot challenge in the last 2 minutes of each half, just as it is now.

All you're going to have now is a lot more post-game referee controversy when these incidents happen at the end of a game and the booth review doesn't pick them up.

Chapow

Reaction score
Seymour":3s0wlne7 said:
austinslater25":3s0wlne7 said:
They made this more complicated than it needed to be. Have an eye in the sky for each crew that can communicate with the guys on the field. If that's in place last year during the Saints game they huddle up, talk about it and make the right call and it takes all of 1 minute.

This^^^

They just made a bad situation worse. I don't like the 15 yd penalty call either. That just promotes tacking the WR when he is beating you to save the TD.

One, that doesn't seem to be a problem in college football (where DPI is a 15 yard penalty, not a spot foul).

Two, any player would already rather give up a DPI penalty than get beat for a TD. Whether it's a 15 yard penalty or a spot foul doesn't change that.

Three, I seriously doubt that players are going to just start giving the other team a free 15 yards every time they think they might be beat. A 15 yard penalty in a football game is no joke.

bloodkingg

Reaction score
Lost to SF last year because of a lame PI call in OT on Griffin, still ticked about that one.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":b7zxmyjj said:
More ability for referees to steer the outcome of games by making subjective decisions.

I've seen multiple people say this and I truly don't get it.

If you believe that steering exists, the ability for coaches to challenge calls and have them changed makes steering HARDER, not easier.

If you want to steer a game, by far the best way to do that is to have every call that a ref makes just stand. Anything not that gets in the way of it.

The problem with conspiratorial thinking is that once you believe in a conspiracy, everything becomes a sign of it, even when it doesn't make any sense.

AVL

Reaction score
Too many confusing rules, but let me make it worse. Have 2 levels of PI, with the most flagrant being severe.

Upgrade officiating, somehow make it a respected pastime. With gambling influencing the game, sometimes it looks like both sides are trying to buy the officials off. Color me "It's rigged, just like real life."

mrt144

Reaction score
Popeyejones":14u9pcam said:
TwistedHusky":14u9pcam said:
More ability for referees to steer the outcome of games by making subjective decisions.

If you believe that steering exists, the ability for coaches to challenge calls and have them changed makes steering HARDER, not easier.

If you want to steer a game, by far the best way to do that is to have every call that a ref makes just stand. Anything not that gets in the way of it.

The problem with conspiratorial thinking is that once you believe in a conspiracy, everything becomes a sign of it, even when it doesn't make any sense.

I think more than anything else, when it comes to sports related conspiracies, if you fully believe them then why in the world devote interest into a sport like there isn't steering or conspiracy involved? Why get fired up about draft picks if you know in the back of your mind, the NFL will always screw over Seattle? Why care about the guts of a rigged game to the extent you do if it's all rigged?

Okay, so the claim gets walked back some - Seattle suffers more ref malarkey than other teams. Why are you still following a league that you believe has it out for your specific franchise? The NFL doesn't care if you're some anti steering insurgent who will pull the curtain back. They care about your eyeballs watching the game.

This isn't like some conspiracy about Free Masons or some stuff where it's like, even if you knew about some world encompassing conspiracy to control everything you'd still be powerless. Nah man, this is an entertainment enterprise, you can just ya know, not watch a rigged game...if you actually believe it.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3rdj18at said:
TwistedHusky":3rdj18at said:

If the Steelers didn't exist I wouldn't have the steering issue in my head.
That franchise since the mid 70's has had so much given through calls it's
hard to deny something was off..Start with the immaculate reception game
to the win against Arizona in the SB..Unreal

Popeyejones

Reaction score
mrt144":2c3xt956 said:
I think more than anything else, when it comes to sports related conspiracies, if you fully believe them then why in the world devote interest into a sport like there isn't steering or conspiracy involved? Why get fired up about draft picks if you know in the back of your mind, the NFL will always screw over Seattle? Why care about the guts of a rigged game to the extent you do if it's all rigged?

Okay, so the claim gets walked back some - Seattle suffers more ref malarkey than other teams. Why are you still following a league that you believe has it out for your specific franchise? The NFL doesn't care if you're some anti steering insurgent who will pull the curtain back. They care about your eyeballs watching the game.

This isn't like some conspiracy about Free Masons or some stuff where it's like, even if you knew about some world encompassing conspiracy to control everything you'd still be powerless. Nah man, this is an entertainment enterprise, you can just ya know, not watch a rigged game...if you actually believe it.

Very well said. !00% agreed

IndyHawk":2c3xt956 said:
If the Steelers didn't exist I wouldn't have the steering issue in my head.
That franchise since the mid 70's has had so much given through calls it's
hard to deny something was off..Start with the immaculate reception game
to the win against Arizona in the SB..Unreal

In a hypothetical world in which steering exists, the Steelers don't stand out to me.

I think they probably are the "biggest beneficiary" of steering to you not becaues they're the Steelers, but because you're a Seahawks fan and the blown call in XL stands out to you. But because my team didn't lose to them in XL they don't stand out to me. Instead, I've got an entirely different list of teams that have benefited from "steering" because I care about teams that have beaten my team on bad calls, not teams that have beaten your team on bad calls.

Think about it this way:

A whole ton of 9ers fans could pass a lie detector test with flying clolors when claiming that they think the Seahawks have benefited from steering more than any other team in the past 15 years.

At the same time, a whole of ton of Seahawks fans could also pass a lie detector test with flying colors when claiming they think the Seahawks have had more games steered AWAY from them than any other team in the past 15 years.

But Titans fans think both Seahawks and 9ers fans are idiotic, because everyone already knows that the NFL steers games to the Colts. "That's so dumb!" says Bills fans, who still point to what they know deep in their bones was the forward lateral in the Music City Miracle that went uncalled and helped the league steer the playoffs away from the Bills and toward the Titans.

The other problem here is that fans have a remarkable ability to explain away or justify why their team has benefited from bad calls. For instance, 49ers fans have come up with INSANE reasons why the horribly blown PI call that gifted them a playoff win against the Giants in 2003 doesn't "really count." Seahawks fans have done this with a number of calls too (which I won't get into, because there's no point in re-litigating), as have fans of EVERY team. I'm sure Rams fans have some insane laundry list of reasons why the horribly blown call against the Saints in the NFCCG this year "cancels out" or "doesn't really count" or "it's a judgement call penalty so those by definition just come down to judgement" or "by the letter of the rule blah, blah, blah" etc., etc. There's no point in making fun of them about that because it just means they're as full of crap as the rest of us.

The way you can explain all this is pretty simple: Fan is short for fanatic. Fanatics (i.e. people with "uncritical zeal") aren't ever the types of people we listen to when wanting to know how the world actually works.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1oz69ffn said:
I think they probably are the "biggest beneficiary" of steering to you not becaues they're the Steelers, but because you're a Seahawks fan and the blown call in XL stands out to you.

Do you think there was only one, singular, bad call in that game that benefited the Steelers? There's where the problem really lies in this discussion.

Pass Interference is too big a play to get wrong, and in the Saints playoff appearance, it was game-changing at that point. In fact, it was so blatant that the ref should have been fired and never allowed to ref again.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":3574gkiq said:
Popeyejones":3574gkiq said:
I think they probably are the "biggest beneficiary" of steering to you not becaues they're the Steelers, but because you're a Seahawks fan and the blown call in XL stands out to you.

Do you think there was only one, singular, bad call in that game that benefited the Steelers? There's where the problem really lies in this discussion.

My point was that I'm not really interested in re-litigating who got screwed and by how much when by the very nature of us being fans, when it comes to our own teams, those conversations can regularly end up being fanatical.

By way of example, you could have asked me the same question about my summary of the Giants/49ers playoff game in 2003 or the Music City Miracle game, but it doesn't really seem like you really care about either of those, which is non-incidental.

Ad Hawk":3574gkiq said:
Pass Interference is too big a play to get wrong, and in the Saints playoff appearance, it was game-changing at that point. In fact, it was so blatant that the ref should have been fired and never allowed to ref again.

Agreed, although I'd also bet all the money in my bank account that if we asked Saints fans it wasn't JUST that play that they got screwed on, and if we asked Rams fans they'd have a laundry list of plays that THEY got screwed on that "cancel out" that big screw up.

Regardless of all that, that PI call is, IMO, a great example for why PI should be reviewable (TBF, it was such a big screw up on such a large stage it's why PI is now reviewable).

What's going to happen is people are going to complain more because it's a subjective call and it's not going to go their way 50% of the time, but the game is going to be better officiated (e.g. truly egregious calls like that one are much, much, much, much less likely to stand).

chris98251

Reaction score
The problem is that reviewing plays were suppose to make the game less objective, yet when we go back and look at them even with review many of the most blown calls were still held up only to be reversed after the game was over and a letter sent out, sorry you lost your playoff or Super Bowl, but we blew the call and the replay review.

They should just trash the whole thing and go back to eating a blown call here and there and let the officials call the game and feel comfortable doing so without big brother and their eye in the sky and their grade sheet dictating whether they even throw a flag not wanting to be that guy on the news that night.

It would also make the games more fluid and fun to watch, no more 20 minutes of commercials while they review it and talk about it call New York and then relay the message back to the field.

Some of us remember those days, yes some TV'S had their TV's kicked in, the remotes were clickers that were like a brick back then and not everyone had one.

Ruminator

Reaction score
No doubt the considerable coaches/fans backlash after many games pressured the NFL to implement reviews. The shear amount of physical, mental, time, and financial investment devoted by dozens of players and team personnel in the effort to put the best possible product (your team) on the field understandably gets a coach or fan highly upset when a blown call helps give the other team the win. And now MLB reviews plays, which I support even more than NFL reviews. The reason is simple: real time often occurs much too quickly, and exact physical location of elements (ball, hand, foot, field, etc.) are often impossible to see without slowing it down, for a referee or umpire to be able to make a split-second call conclusively.

Disclaimer -- not a huge fan of reviews, but I think the pros outweigh the cons.

Now that PI calls are reviewable, I foresee coaches occasionally getting frustrated with the two-challenge limit. While it sucks, it would not surprise me to see the limit increased to three in a couple years.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Ruminator":s4hvhfm7 said:
Now that PI calls are reviewable, I foresee coaches occasionally getting frustrated with the two-challenge limit. While it sucks, it would not surprise me to see the limit increased to three in a couple years.

Wonder how many PIs will go uncalled with the officials operating on the theory that the coaches can challenge it.

chris98251

Reaction score
I have a feeling were going to call next year the year of the ticky tacky penalties, you thnk you have seen WR's and DB's throw fits before about penalties just wait. Edelmans and Shermans are going to be all over this, Coaches like Belichek and a QB like Brady are going to scheme for this heavily much like the pick play.