Next Great

chris98251

Reaction score
Gawdy number can take a QB to the HOF as well, Marino, did it with just one Super Bowl appearance and no wins, Fouts one appearance no wins, but both have really big numbers.

Maulbert

Reaction score
chris98251":3sz88che said:
Gawdy number can take a QB to the HOF as well, Marino, did it with just one Super Bowl appearance and no wins, Fouts one appearance no wins, but both have really big numbers.

Fouts never made a Super Bowl. He made two conference championships, but lost them to the Raiders and Bengals.

chris98251

Reaction score
Maulbert":z6rivl15 said:
chris98251":z6rivl15 said:

Fouts never made a Super Bowl. He made two conference championships, but lost them to the Raiders and Bengals.

Thanks, ya see nobody remembers who lost........... :)

Maulbert

Reaction score
chris98251":1n6yp5mi said:
Maulbert":1n6yp5mi said:
chris98251":1n6yp5mi said:

Thanks, ya see nobody remembers who lost........... :)

I generally agree, I just happen to have a near-eidetic memory. It pisses off a lot of people. Sometimes, it's a curse. I can turn into Correcty McCorrecterson if I'm not careful.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Deshaun Watson is going to be the next great young QB. Kid can flat out play and he's going to have another full season in college to hone his craft even further.

Obviously Rodgers (he's too old to be in this convo anyway), Wilson and Cam are already there. Luck is there too despite what the anti-Luck crowd here will tell you.. Luck also has a much weaker supporting cast than Wilson and Cam so his warts tend to show a lot more.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":29nqiqna said:
I could see Winston getting there if he continues to develop.

I actually don't think Wilson makes it. Not for lack of talent. But if you're talking Brady/Manning, then you're talking about Star Wars numbers. Seattle won't ever be a team that either wants to do that or designs to be that kind of team. Not with Carroll here.

I think you'd have to consider a couple seasons of 40+ TDs and a handful of 5,000 passing yards campaigns in order to get in that discussion. To do that you have to spend cap and draft capital on the offense. Seattle probably never will spend 50% or more on it's Offensive ledger. Same will be the case with Carolina as they retain their defense on 2nd contracts in the next year or two.

Indy could also produce that with Luck. They seem interested in investing for the SW offense.

You just need to have such an abundance of offensive talent in order to achieve those metrics. And for better or worse -- that's how the next playing legends will be judged in the 2020s.

Normally I agree with you pretty much 99 out of 100 times, but I digress here. The QB many consider to be the greatest of all-time is Joe Montana. Russell Wilson has more 4000 yard passing seasons in his career than Joe. Yeah I get its a new era of passing, but Russ isn't going to need the 5000 yard passing year to get into the HOF. He will get there with another couple of rings and steady passing numbers.. namely, hovering around 4000 yards every year.. having a 100+ QB rating and so forth. Even Tom Brady has only 1 season above 5K and 7 above 4K. I can definitely see Russ coming close to 4K another 6 times in his career. And when you roll in all purpose yards thats where he takes a whole new wrinkle in HOF stats.

Obviously this is still extremely early to talk about, but I think his potential is there. He, unlike his young peers, has a ring already. That's a huge hurdle to clear now because I think the QB/HOF thing will become much more about wins and championships than stats from here on out.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
After Rodgers, I don't see anyone getting to that level...

I don't think we'll ever see this level of QB play again. So many people complained about high passing numbers over the years...but I think when it's all said and done, Manning/Brady/Brees/Rodgers will be 4 of the top 10 to every play the game. And they played all at the same time.

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
Ramfan128":2wxl57r6 said:
After Rodgers, I don't see anyone getting to that level...

I don't think we'll ever see this level of QB play again. So many people complained about high passing numbers over the years...but I think when it's all said and done, Manning/Brady/Brees/Rodgers will be 4 of the top 10 to every play the game. And they played all at the same time.

People were saying this before Rodgers broke out and were crying about how we'd never have a QB like Brady or Manning again.

Then there was Brees, and Rodgers and now potentially Cam or Wilson.

Sorry but I find it a bit short-sighted and ridiculous to think that there will not always be talented QBs in the league. Especially as the rules are continually changed to make the game easier on them.