next man up...George Farmer(RB)?

Seafan

Reaction score
From some of the posts here it seems people have forgotten that Farmer played RB for the Hawks in preseason. He also was a RB at USC for a while. This isn't like Fant. He's a good enough athlete that the Hawks felt he could convert to CB. He sounds a little like Prosise as far as a college WR and now playing RB and they have similar size.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I'm hopeful Farmer can show enough to earn a regular roster spot. He's quite SPARQed up, was a solid albeit somewhat fragile player at USC, but that could have been unfortunate bad luck. He's solid at receiving, and demonstrated that at college, but Pete now sees his highest and best position being a RB having experimented with him at WR, CB and now as RB, all to find a spot where his exceptional athletic ability can show.

Pete is pretty smart at getting a feel for what position a player can play best, and positioning that player to succeed. It's one of the things that makes him a great coach. Farmer is not thick between the ears like a recent 2nd round uber athletic RB, and he has that undrafted player's chip on the shoulder. I suspect Farmer's late position change in TC to RB was as a result of.some demonstrated ability to play the position and him being kept around on the 'ghost roster' was to condition him to play this position while teaching some skills the position.

I'm hopeful he could possibly surprise as he was a top tier recruit tho USC because of his exceptional athleticism. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
pacific101":312kb8nk said:
There is no miracle cure for this ailment floating around out there waiting to swoop in and save the day. We made some pretty solid choices here recently and no one could have predicted that the two injuries were going to happen in the Eagles game and leave us in the predicament we are currently in.

I thought we would be smart to keep all 4 of the RB's that we have on the current roster, I was a little bit disappointed, when I saw that they had moved Collins back to the PS, when they brought Pope up. I think that at RB, you are going to have to expect that they are going to rotate in and out some with injuries throughout the season.

Running backs probably take more direct physical punishment than any other player on either side of the ball, and there will almost always be one or two of them out on the mend at any given time.

I don't know why everyone is freaking out about Collins, the kid was just starting to take shape about the time they finally game Michaels his walking papers.

All the coaching staff felt that Collins was a step up from Christin, and I think rightfully so. I think if we are going to known as a run Offense, we would do well to keep, all four RBs active and in the proceeding order, rotating them in and out regularly as well, Darrell needs to design and call in custom plays to capitalize on each of their individual strengths.

Thomas Rawls, C.J. Prosise, Troymaine Pope, and Alex Collins. need to all be active in my opinion. Rawls has already taken it to the next level and the other three need to follow his example if they want to be an effective part of it.

I have said my piece about needing to improve on the conditioning of our players, in an effort to reduce the number of injuries and the types of injuries that are showing up in every game this year, not just within the RB core, but across the board. To many of our players are simply falling short of where they need to be in order to stay healthy and play their positions at a higher level of execution, as I hear them repeatedly saying they need to, in order to succeed.

Some of our players are in tune with what it takes to achieve and maintain that level of fitness, i.e. Russell Wilson, Jimmy Graham, Doug Baldwin, Tyler Lockett, Chris Avril, Michael Bennett, Luke Wilson, and the list does go on. Those players that are coming out injured due to issues that are purely conditioning related are not living up to their potential and are leaving themselves venerable to these sort of injuries.

I can hear the rebuttals already, but the proof is in the pudding, as they say. If it weren't so, they wouldn't be having these issues they are having. it's not rocket science, I promise, it's simple ABC, 123 stuff to figure out and fix.

Everyone of these RBs are NFL pro quality in their own right, and because they are young rookies for the most part, Rawls be the exception and he's only just a short way out from being a rookie himself. Each one comes to the table with a uniquely different set of assets we can capitalize on, and if we handle them right, they are only going to become more and more effective at their positions.

If they want to drag up some has been or mediocre RB to fill In some, until Pope and CJ get their wheels back under them, and can return to the lineup, ok go ahead I guess. I don't think we are going to need them, I think that Thomas Rawls, has learned his lesson, and that is being evidenced by his new work ethic and attitude we've seen in his recover process since the first of this season. He is out there working his ass off daily, long after everyone else has hit the showers.

He knows that in order for him to be able to shoulder the load as running back for the Seahawks this year, that his being in absolute peak condition, is his only chance of being able to survive, all the abuses our opponents will bring his way, and believe me, they are going to do their damndest to see him off the field injured.

The old adage "knuckle up guard your grill" will never be more true than it will be for Thomas Rawls, these next few games. The thing I love about him is his attitude about it all, i.e., If you want a piece of his action, come on and get some :). He will put the hurt on you before you get a chance to put the hurt on him. You won't have to look for him, cause he is going to be foot deep in your ass once they hand him the ball.

Alex Collins is young, but he is smart, hungry, and is working much harder the past few weeks, striving to bring himself to a higher level of competitiveness and conditioning.

He is showing a lot of promise, I think, many are tossing the towel in on him, while he still has a lot of fight left him. It takes some of these players coming into the NFL, and playing in a few games to realize that the crap they were doing conditioning wise in college, isn't going to cut it, playing with the big boys in the NFL. These are the best of the best. Comparatively speaking only a small handful of the athletes in this country that have played football, with higher aspirations ever managed to make it to the college ranks, much less the pros. I think that Alex has that figured out now and is ready to do what he has to do to compete.

CJ and Troymaine, neither one did anything to bring about the injuries that have them off the field right now. They were both caught with unfortunate and unavoidable blows, that inflicted significant injuries on each of them. CJ took a helmet torpedo to his shoulder blade, and Troymaine had an overly zealous 300 and some pound lineman jump up and come down on his ankle.

I know I'm gonna take some flack from a few folks for saying so, but I truly believe that had both of these guys been at or near the same level of conditioning that Thomas Rawls is right now, that both of them might have been able to get up and walk off the field following those plays, they would have been sore and dinged up a little after the game, and reasonably so, but not out on the injured list. Thomas Rawls took similar if not more abuse during his time on the field, and while admittedly sore and bruised up the next day, he was able to absorb the abuse and play through it, i.e. walk it off and is ready to play come this Sunday. He couldn't do that at the first of the year.

If all these running backs will make the same physical, mental, emotional and spiritual commitment to their conditioning that Thomas Rawls has in his comeback, since the second injury to his leg at the beginning of this season, we will have the most effective and unstoppable running game in the NFL.

I'll go a step further and say if the entire Seahawk team would use Thomas Rawls current level of conditioning as a landmark for themselves, and that's not to say that some aren't already at that level or beyond, we would not be seeing nearly as many injuries and or the types of injuries as we are seeing this year, over and over again.

Someone will challenge and question my insistence the overall conditioning of the team is subpar, based on the thought that the Seahawks played thru 6 quarters of football in Arizona without collapsing, as evidence that they are all in superb condition. I say that is great, they managed to stay on their feet and fight through 6 quarters of play without being totally and completely spent.

My thoughts on the matter, was that they had all better be in good enough shape to play a full 6 quarters in any and every game they play this year, and against a lot more physical team than Arizona, because that is what can happen in each and every game we play between now and even in to the Super Bowl if we are lucky enough to find ourselves there again, and there is little reason to think we can't with some changes.

Our players should be able to do that in every game without any trouble at all. I'll say it till I'm blue in the face, if you are satisfied with mediocre results, ok so be it, be satisfied with mediocre conditioning, if you want to achieve greatness there is a price, if you are not willing to pay that price, then don't cry about not finding yourself in a position to achieve it.

You will hear great fighters tell people all the time, the real work was done in the gym, by the time they stepped into the ring the fight had already been won or lost by their hunger and willingness to do what was necessary to capture greatness when the opportunity presented itself. The work they did in the gym, made the job they did in the ring, all that much easier, and possible at all.

The dividing line between good and great is in your commitment to your own wholistic (physical, emotional, mental and spiritual) level of conditioning. You reap what you sew. It's a pay as you go sport, it takes a lot to get a lot. I speak from experience and will be glad to share that here one day as well.
You lost me after paragragh 100, LOL!

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Farmer may surprise with his ability to contribute. Obviously Rawls needs to stay healthy for Farmer to be in a desirable role.

Serious question: Why do people keep bringing up Ray Rice and Marshawn as possibilities?

chet380

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":omk4ws54 said:
Serious question: Why do people keep bringing up Ray Rice and Marshawn as possibilities?
B/c Rice is an elite RB, is only 29 yrs old and is available.

Tical21

Reaction score
Elite RB'S don't go through entire seasons and average 3.1 ypc. Elite? Come on man. He was done way before the punch.

hawk45

Reaction score
Lol at Collins just starting to take shape. You can argue that he hasn't touched the football enough, although generally there is some sign when a good player touches the football even with poor blocking. But there is no argument that Collins has done anything at all on the field yet.

Jville

Reaction score
Returning to the subject of George Farmer ....................

* Pete Carroll identified George Farmer as a special project.

* Carroll sited George Farmer as a player that is similar in many ways to C.J. Prosise.

............... looking forward to the debut of George Farmer. :2thumbs:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/802281211510960128[/tweet]

SeaChat

Reaction score
I don't know why folks keep mentioning Marshawn as a prospective RB, he is finished. I mean no disrespect at all, but even when Marshawn was healed up and participating in all practices, in his last season of play, it was painfully clear to everyone, that he was spent.

My youngest son picked up on it a season before anyone else, in our clan did. I'm pretty sure that even Marshawn, knew it too, because he kept trying to retire, and the Seahawks kept throwing ungodly amounts of money at him to sign and stay with them another season.

I know Marshawn loves the kids of Oakland, and gives his everything to help them better their lives. It was those kids, I think, that motivated Marshawn to agree to that last year, but he's set now and I don't think you could toss enough money in his path to come back, and even if you did, he can't play anymore, save your money and save his dignity and self respect.

Most everyone knows I'm a Pope fan, and I didn't throw in the towel because some big ass lineman stomped on his leg while he was laying on the ground, anymore than I did C.J. Prosise, who took a hellacious helmet shot from behind and screwed his shoulder blade up, I hope that the Seahawk Management didn't throw the towel in on either one of them either. They are both very promising RB's.

This week I heard Pete Carroll say in a press conference, that he had just left visiting with Troymaine Pope, and that he was looking amazingly well. In fact showing little to no signs at all of a high sprain. While Troymaine Apparently isn't participating in practices this week, is does appear that he is working out.

Pete went on to say, that Troymaine had experienced this injury before, and that a lot of players who have, seems to recover a lot faster than what anyone might have anticipated. I wouldn't be surprised to see him back out running practices next week.

C.J. Prosise, may not be out as long as initially thought either. The injury was not serious enough to warrant surgery, and he may be healed up in 3 or 4 weeks. A lot will depend on his conditioning regiment. Players who take it to the max generally heal up much faster than other players and their injuries are generally not as extensive as what you would expect either, their bodies withstand more punishment as a benefit of conditioning as well.

Given Popes aggressive conditioning program, that supersedes the normal everyday workout that all the players go through, it would be no surprise to me to see him back up and ready to run with another game, maybe two. I don't think they are planning on ditching him after a freak accident on the field, and I don't think putting him on injured reserve, when were are in need of someone with this style of play, especially now that C.J. is out for a considerable period of time.

I remember George Farmer, he was a highly motivated player, and a natural athlete. He is the proverbial Jack of all Trades and Master of None. At least that was the impression I was left with when the Seahawks let him go. He played well at a lot of positions, but didn't really set the field on fire at any one in particular. Pete really likes his play and kept trying to figure a place for him. I don't think that RB is that place, but what the hay, give him a go and see.

I think that he and Christine were of about the same caliber as RB's go. I think that bringing George in at this point was just in case Alex or Thomas get busted up, and Popes not ready to return to play. If Thomas and Alex stay healthy, and Pope gets back in there and shows that they made a good decision bringing him back, I think Pete will try and find another place that George can fill in. That may be his niche with the Seahawks, filling in for players out injured.

I said a while back that we should have kept 4 running backs active,and in this order, Thomas Rawls, C.J. Prosise, Troymaine Pope, and Alex Collins, unless it's not within the rules to do so, they can move someone else at some other position back to the PS to make permanent the 4 man RB Core.

RB's are going to get injured from time to time, there is no way around it. RB is one of the shortest careers there are in the NFL, most only last a few years, no matter how talented they are, or how hard they train.

They take a butt load of abuse everyday they play. The really good ones usually only last 3 or 4 seasons and then get put out to pasture. The NFL will tell you that the average career expectancy is 6 years but ask them to show you a list of players who have lasted that long to support that crazy claim.

Marshawn Lynch was a freak of nature and a true exception to the rule. He was on the Buffalo Bills Roster for 3 years, why Buffalo let him slip through their fingers is beyond me, he produced good numbers for them. Then he played 5 seasons with the Seahawks, but in all fairness really only 3 where he was playing up to speed, the last two, he spent an increasing amount of time on the sidelines injured. Still to have drawn a paycheck as a running back for 8 years in the NFL is crazy good.

The standing joke that is no joke, in the NFL, is that when it comes to Running Backs, NFL means "NOT FOR LONG". It looks like if the Seahawks want to stay in the running years in to the future, when they have a couple of good running backs playing for them, they need to be looking for their replacements before they finish their first season.

Anyone that was looking for a short post from me, should have known better before they started reading, LMAO. No hope in sight, the older I get, the more I ramble he he he. Another two cents worth from pacific101.

Go Seahawks !

CANHawk

Reaction score
Pacific101, that was not 2 cents. That was about $50 worth, and nobodys buying.

For F's sake, leave some words for the rest of the planet... smh get a hobby, buy a rock tumbler or something.

sent from the charred remains of a note 7 using tapatalk

Bobblehead

Reaction score
So I thought it was interesting that when a sub came in for Rawls it was Farmer, though I see neither Farmer or AC got any carries.