Next season, super excited for Alvin Bailey.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
bigcc":2kenqryp said:
The fact that they moved bowie to LG leaves me with question marks. In my mind ideally we keep Breno and let Bailey/Carpenter/Sweezy/Bowie fight it out elsewhere, but of all position groups OL is probably the least I know about so I'm just going off the dome.

I'm not a Bailey fan boy fwiw, I like Bowies potential much more, I was pretty shocked when he was moved to LG, and then left inactive, so shows what I know regarding OL... lol

I think they gave Bowie a shot at LG because they liked him as a run-blocker and wanted to get him on the field. My guess is that they still like him as a RT prospect as well. I think he got moved to inactive because they preferred their experienced OGs for the big games and Bailey was better suited for the jumbo-package TE spot. My assumption is that they're still quite high on Bowie.

But I'm just guessing like everyone else.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I'm just tired of all the draft capital spent on the Oline when some of our best players have come late in the draft. This is a common theme across the NFL, late pick/UDFA OL turning out to be really good players. Jason Peters was an UDFA (out of Arkansas), former TE converted to be a Pro Bowl LT. Kris Dielman, UDFA Pro Bowl LG.

Of the playoff teams, I leave out Seattle and SF because of the running of Russell and Kaep. Alex can run, but not like those two. I think that gives one a good idea of who has good run blocking. Of the remainign 3, it looks like only the Saints have invested a lot of draft capital in the Oline.

New England 149 ypg

http://www.nfl.com/teams/newenglandpatr ... rt?team=NE

Kansas City 150 ypg

http://www.nfl.com/teams/kansascitychie ... rt?team=KC

New Orleans 146.5 ypg

http://www.nfl.com/teams/newenglandpatr ... rt?team=NE

So my point is, I don't believe it's necessary, or wise, to invest anymore high draft capital in the offensive line than we already have. This is the NFL, there can be no excuses for misses on the oline players, and if you waste too many of those picks, you shouldn't be given any more. As much as I like some of these guys, the risk/reward of picking one early vs picking one late just isn't there.

Stanford Olinemen worry me too. A lot of people are high on Decastro, admittedly I haven't seen that much of him, but his back was ailing late in the year and the steelers only averaged 86 ypg on the ground. He's still young, and there are some that see him as "emerging," but we've seen early awards and accolades for players on certain teams which weren't truly earned.

Then there's this: "Pouncey was blocking on a run play when teammate and right guard David DeCastro dove directly into his lower leg. What exactly DeCastro was doing is unclear. Pouncey had his man blocked up high, and had DeCastro made contact with the defender it would have resulted in a 15-yard chop-block penalty. That outcome would have been preferable for the Steelers to what actually occurred, with DeCastro going helmet first into Pittsburgh’s best offensive lineman."

I think Bailey has the mental and physical make up to be a very good left guard, and imaho, that only leaves right tackle open which Bowie could fill. We have some backups that have been learning the system, Lemeul is a great backup at C, and there are some good young players that will be available late in the 2014 draft. If JeanPierre moves on, I like Gabe Ikard from Oklahoma as a backup center.

So imaho, the only real need for this offensive line is some serviceable back-ups and more reps for the guys we have. One thing that I see from Bowie, Bailey, Lemeul, and for the most part Sweezy that I don't see from the other players, the ability to stay healthy. And continuity can be a huge factor when it comes to the offensive line.

Latest posts