Next up the RAMS

LTH

Reaction score
So.. as I see it it was a good win vs the Niners but the Seahawks D has a lot to prove yet. They have to find a way to cover those short - intermediate crossing routes. I don't see them man up vs the Rams. I don't think Jones as a good enough grasp on the D yet... Could be a long day as they need to get pressure on Stafford and that's hard to do with the quick passing game which I'm sure the Rams are going to exploit. big difference between Lance and Stafford

The positive is the adjustments are being made at least with personnel this will be a good test against the Rams I think a key to this game is keeping Stafford and the Rams O off the field controlling TOP with the run game, giving the D a chance to rest and time to adjust... I don't think they will do that but I think that's what needs to happen... If it were me I would pound Carson and Collins right down there throat early and often.. pound them like a mallard duck! and then move to that quick tempo O that has been so effective...Its a home game we really need this one...but its not the end of the world if they don't win it...

I'm really liking the quick tempo O the Hawks have played against a decent Niners D...

Thoughts?

LTH

RiverDog

Reaction score
LTH":1iqtnds4 said:
So.. as I see it it was a good win vs the Niners but the Seahawks D has a lot to prove yet. They have to find a way to cover those short - intermediate crossing routes. I don't see them man up vs the Rams. I don't think Jones as a good enough grasp on the D yet... Could be a long day as they need to get pressure on Stafford and that's hard to do with the quick passing game which I'm sure the Rams are going to exploit. big difference between Lance and Stafford

The positive is the adjustments are being made at least with personnel this will be a good test against the Rams I think a key to this game is keeping Stafford and the Rams O off the field controlling TOP with the run game, giving the D a chance to rest and time to adjust... I don't think they will do that but I think that's what needs to happen... If it were me I would pound Carson and Collins right down there throat early and often.. pound them like a mallard duck! and then move to that quick tempo O that has been so effective...Its a home game we really need this one...but its not the end of the world if they don't win it...

I'm really liking the quick tempo O the Hawks have played against a decent Niners D...

Thoughts?

LTH

Saying that our defense still has a lot to prove is a vast understatement. Even after yesterday's season best performance, we're still ranked dead last in the league in total yards, 31st in rushing yards allowed, and 28th in passing yards allowed. This defense has a long, long ways to go before we can even consider them average.

The Rams got bushwhacked by the Cards yesterday, their first loss of the season, and they'll be anxious to get that bad taste out of their mouths. The key for us will be getting pressure with our front 4 without having to resort to blitzes. Stafford is a veteran quarterback who's played a lot of football and knows how to exploit a blitz.

Offensively I agree with you that one of our keys will be to run the ball effectively and keep the likes of Aaron Donald from being able to pin their ears back. Russell had a couple of good scrambles yesterday, but make no mistake: This is not the same Russell Wilson that we're used to seeing making those Houdini-like escapes. I'd like to see Chris Carson getting 15-20 touches, 5-8 from Alex Collins.

We win this game and we're back in the thick of it. Lose and making the playoffs becomes very problematic.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Should be a great battle. The O Line is my top concern against the Rams. Rams look a lot more vulnerable than the record shows. They struggled to get by the Colts, and got smoked by the Cards.
If the Hawks play a balanced offense and keep the big plays down to a minimum on defense, they will win this one.
Prime time, this team takes it next level. Russ' record in prime time is ridiculous. The Hawks HAVE TO establish the run and eat up more clock. Can't just have the defense out there all day.
Hawks win a close one imo.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
RiverDog":2kvecpb4 said:
LTH":2kvecpb4 said:

Thoughts?

LTH

Saying that our defense still has a lot to prove is a vast understatement. Even after yesterday's season best performance, we're still ranked dead last in the league in total yards, 31st in rushing yards allowed, and 28th in passing yards allowed. This defense has a long, long ways to go before we can even consider them average.

The Rams got bushwhacked by the Cards yesterday, their first loss of the season, and they'll be anxious to get that bad taste out of their mouths. The key for us will be getting pressure with our front 4 without having to resort to blitzes. Stafford is a veteran quarterback who's played a lot of football and knows how to exploit a blitz.

Offensively I agree with you that one of our keys will be to run the ball effectively and keep the likes of Aaron Donald from being able to pin their ears back. Russell had a couple of good scrambles yesterday, but make no mistake: This is not the same Russell Wilson that we're used to seeing making those Houdini-like escapes. I'd like to see Chris Carson getting 15-20 touches, 5-8 from Alex Collins.

We win this game and we're back in the thick of it. Lose and making the playoffs becomes very problematic.

Its all how you look at it... if you see the D as the stats for the whole year than yeah the D as a long way to go. but if you recognize that the Hawks have made some personal adjustments bringing in Neil to cover those TE's and Jones for Flowers and there is an improvement then it really doesn't matter what they did in week one or two...only that they use those stats as a measuring stick for the next week... that's how I look at it...

Yeah Jones was n't lights out great but it was an improvement over flowers and you take away that wheel route busted coverage and chauk that up to the fact that Jones is learning a complicated D then he didnt really have that bad of a game... Neil did a great job..

LTH

James in PA

Reaction score
I just want to see us run the damn ball (including lots of Alex Collins carries) and mix it up with quick passes. Im am so friggin sick of Aaron Donald bulldozing our O line. Meanwhile, Id like to see OUR pass rush come back to life in this game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
James in PA":1w2dy8p0 said:
I just want to see us run the damn ball (including lots of Alex Collins carries) and mix it up with quick passes. Im am so friggin sick of Aaron Donald bulldozing our O line. Meanwhile, Id like to see OUR pass rush come back to life in this game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AD is a tough one cause they move him around a bit...he is just a tough problematic irritant as I see it. It was my impression that Gabe Jackson was going to be the answer to AD but they move him so as GJ is going to help, and that remains to be seen, you know they are going to line up AD over center a few times...

LTH

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2dr7drwa said:
Should be a great battle. The O Line is my top concern against the Rams. Rams look a lot more vulnerable than the record shows. They struggled to get by the Colts, and got smoked by the Cards.
If the Hawks play a balanced offense and keep the big plays down to a minimum on defense, they will win this one.
Prime time, this team takes it next level. Russ' record in prime time is ridiculous. The Hawks HAVE TO establish the run and eat up more clock. Can't just have the defense out there all day.

As I see it this is a measuring stick all around for the Hawks... Yes the O line will be tested no doubt about that... really the Rams have the advantage there but that's why SW comes into play... Question... does SW play calling give RW the time he needs to be successful? Not sure who has the advantage there SM or SW... who knows who better? or if that's even a factor.

LTH

chris98251

Reaction score
LTH":35qppokd said:
SoulfishHawk":35qppokd said:

As I see it this is a measuring stick all around for the Hawks... Yes the O line will be tested no doubt about that... really the Rams have the advantage there but that's why SW comes into play... Question... does SW play calling give RW the time he needs to be successful? Not sure who has the advantage there SM or SW... who knows who better? or if that's even a factor.

LTH

Southwest Airlines?

Red Wing shoes ?

Southern Methodist ?

Guess names are to long to spell these days also.

iigakusei

Reaction score
If the Hawks play like they did yesterday they will lose by 21. Stafford is a competent QB and I have no faith in this defense against a good QB. The offense cant go a full quarter with -3 yards.

RiverDog

Reaction score
LTH":1t7t8jn5 said:
Its all how you look at it... if you see the D as the stats for the whole year than yeah the D as a long way to go. but if you recognize that the Hawks have made some personal adjustments bringing in Neil to cover those TE's and Jones for Flowers and there is an improvement then it really doesn't matter what they did in week one or two...only that they use those stats as a measuring stick for the next week... that's how I look at it...

Yeah Jones was n't lights out great but it was an improvement over flowers and you take away that wheel route busted coverage and chauk that up to the fact that Jones is learning a complicated D then he didnt really have that bad of a game... Neil did a great job..

LTH

I'm going to play a little bit of Devil's Advocate here as I did see an improvement, but....

Our improvements on defense has to be framed in the context of having gone up against a lame Jimmy G. and a rookie quarterback getting his first sustained action of his career. Sidney Jones was, indeed, an improvement over Flowers, but on the other hand, what does it say about our talent if we can pick up a reject off one of the worst teams in the league and declare him as an improvement?

Plus even with the improvement, we still gave up a ton of yardage, over 450 yards, more than what all but one other team averages and double that which our offense put up.

We won't have to wait long to see if what we're arguing about is actually an improvement or nothing more than Fool's Gold. The once beaten Rams and Mathew Stafford will be a good test. If our defense turns in a winning performance against them, I'll give you a little better acknowledgement.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
RiverDog":d6ejwrkh said:
LTH":d6ejwrkh said:

LTH

I'm going to play a little bit of Devil's Advocate here as I did see an improvement, but....

Our improvements on defense has to be framed in the context of having gone up against a lame Jimmy G. and a rookie quarterback getting his first sustained action of his career. Sidney Jones was, indeed, an improvement over Flowers, but on the other hand, what does it say about our talent if we can pick up a reject off one of the worst teams in the league and declare him as an improvement?

Plus even with the improvement, we still gave up a ton of yardage, over 450 yards, more than what all but one other team averages and double that which our offense put up.

We won't have to wait long to see if what we're arguing about is actually an improvement or nothing more than Fool's Gold. The once beaten Rams and Mathew Stafford will be a good test. If our defense turns in a winning performance against them, I'll give you a little better acknowledgement.

Granted Stafford is a much better QB than Lance and probably Jimmy G I would say that's a fair assessment. Lets see what other adjustments the Hawks make against the Rams. The goal is to get better every week, this is not a team that is going to put a championship D on the field at the beginning of the season, at least not in my view especially where the Hawks are picking in the draft every year. It's about developing talent and this year it's about developing talent on the fly...

Not sure what the Hawks were thinking about corner other than the guys they got in FA didn't work out... ok, maybe there is some criticism that could be explored there, but they are where they are and the goal is to get better every week. By the time they make the play offs, if they make the play offs, they have developed the younger talent to compete at top level competition at least that's what it is supposed to look like...

Your right the Rams are going to be a great measuring stick but all is not lost if they lose that game. Its a long season and lots of things can happen and lots of things that we as fans don't expect to happen...

Its still about perspective and its all about Carroll's process and coaching up these young guys... from my perspective I think this is a great coaching staff they do a lot with what they have to work with...

Just my take

LTH

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I want us to kick ass thursday.

Two reasons:

Redeem our anemic home record/advantage last couple seasons.

Shut the Fing Rams up and all the people who were CORONATING them 2 weeks ago. God - has to be the BEST case of 'why we actually play the games'. I hear one more Rams homer just handing them the Owl again and I'm gonna barf.

Hey - my other post had puke in it. I guess it's regurgitation day!

We might be starting slow. We may have disposed of the new and improved offense for some reason - but I think we got a chance. I just caught part of the Cards/Rams game in PIP yesterday. Rams did look human.

I'm optimistic that we can pull out a win - albeit a close one.

chris98251

Reaction score
Going to be a lot harder with no Dunlap and Taylor, going to need some magic on defense and a lot of offense.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
Do we know about Taylor yet? Dunlap has turf toe and is doubtful... Haven't heard anything about Taylor yet...

LTH

RiverDog

Reaction score
LTH":kj20938o said:
Your right the Rams are going to be a great measuring stick but all is not lost if they lose that game. Its a long season and lots of things can happen and lots of things that we as fans don't expect to happen...

Its still about perspective and its all about Carroll's process and coaching up these young guys... from my perspective I think this is a great coaching staff they do a lot with what they have to work with...

Just my take

LTH

All won't be lost if we lose to the Rams, but it's going to put us in a helluva hole if we do. We'd drop 3 games behind the Cards in the loss column and two+ games behind the Rams (allowing for a tiebreaker). We'll have to see just how the game goes, if we play well enough to win but don't get the breaks or if we get run out of the stadium with our tails between our legs. The Rams are a quality team, the best we've faced to this point of the season. How we win or lose could be just as much of an indication of our chances as the end result of the game.

I'm not as optimistic about the coaching staff and their abilities as you are. They're still trying to figure out how to use a player that they traded two #1's and a #4 for and made him the highest paid safety in the game. But I'm definitely more of a pessimist than I am an optimist. Lowering my expectations makes our winning more enjoyable because I didn't expect it and losing less stressful because I could see it coming.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
I don't have much faith in our defense after last week's game. Some disturbing trends all came to a head.

Seahawks shouldnt be able to stop our offense much either, but that crowd is going to be nuts.

I'll say Gay makes where GZ missed and we win 32-30 with a late FG.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
Gut feeling is we will have to score 34+ points to win this game.

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
Quick turnaround. Need 4 quarters of good play not 3.5. Hopefully Everett is cleared to roll after a negative covid test

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
RiverDog":2n4w4l05 said:
LTH":2n4w4l05 said:

Just my take

LTH

All won't be lost if we lose to the Rams, but it's going to put us in a helluva hole if we do. We'd drop 3 games behind the Cards in the loss column and two+ games behind the Rams (allowing for a tiebreaker). We'll have to see just how the game goes, if we play well enough to win but don't get the breaks or if we get run out of the stadium with our tails between our legs. The Rams are a quality team, the best we've faced to this point of the season. How we win or lose could be just as much of an indication of our chances as the end result of the game.

I'm not as optimistic about the coaching staff and their abilities as you are. They're still trying to figure out how to use a player that they traded two #1's and a #4 for and made him the highest paid safety in the game. But I'm definitely more of a pessimist than I am an optimist. Lowering my expectations makes our winning more enjoyable because I didn't expect it and losing less stressful because I could see it coming.

Look where the Seahawks Draft every year. compare that to where the rest of the division drafts, specifically the Cards. but yet the Hawks somehow find a way to be competitive in the division. This doesn't happen unless the coaching staff is doing a great job...I think the Hawks coaching staff gets the least amount of respect out of the whole team and IMO they are doing an excellent job especially guys like Solari...

LTH