NFC West Drafting for Wilson

Popeyejones

Reaction score
I don't think anyone was shocked when they made the super bowl in 2012. They would have made it in 2011 if not for Kyle Williams.

As for this year they've got Joe Staley and 21 question marks, with a question mark at all the coaching positions too. Of course it's possible they end up being good, but good enough to make it into the playoffs over the cards or Seahawks? Wildly unlikely.

More likely is best case scenario we're still at minimum two more off seasons away from the 9ers to be ready to compete again. Palmer, Fitz, and Calais will al be done then too.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Popeyejones":8pgrurvs said:
I don't think anyone was shocked when they made the super bowl in 2012. They would have made it in 2011 if not for Kyle Williams.

As for this year they've got Joe Staley and 21 question marks, with a question mark at all the coaching positions too. Of course it's possible they end up being good, but good enough to make it into the playoffs over the cards or Seahawks? Wildly unlikely.

More likely is best case scenario we're still at minimum two more off seasons away from the 9ers to be ready to compete again. Palmer, Fitz, and Calais will al be done then too.
I love 49er fans, such a perfect counterbalance to our typical negativity.

kearly

Reaction score
Only the Rams have had much success stopping Wilson,but always in weird games.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":7sfxdb04 said:
Popeyejones":7sfxdb04 said:

I love 49er fans, such a perfect counterbalance to our typical negativity.

206 derek zoolander vh1 films paramount pictures 4

Laloosh

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1uhs5qzt said:
*Edit: "3 steps drops" meaning route combos, not actually "3 steps" as Wilson is rarely playing under center.

Only about 20% of the his dropbacks in 2015. Interestingly, his passer rating is higher from under center but his completion percentage is only 54% (deep balls out of the PA perhaps).

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2zow6e11 said:
NINEster":2zow6e11 said:
2015:

San Francisco: Armstead
Arizona: Goldsen

2016:

San Francisco: Buckner
Arizona: Nkemdiche

2017:

San Francisco: ??
Arizona: ??

My guess is 3-4 OLBs in the first round, for both teams.

Free Agency:

Arizona:

Red Bryant
Chandler Jones

Bryant was picked up to stop Rawls (and prevent any delayed scrambling up the middle), Jones picked up to pressure Wilson.

San Francisco didn't pursue front 7 in free agency this year, but will most likely do it next year.

Both teams have enough secondary to control Wilson, but the pass rush and zone read have to be neutralized to conquer him. They're taking a page from the Rams who have invested the last few drafts to stop Wilson, and succeeded. That's why I didn't include them.....mission accomplished.

Curious how Pete & John will counter this strategy?

After reading the denial zone I don't buy this. Afterall RW is an overhyped "game manager" whom the posters over there a little over a year ago thought the Kraepper was better than.
I got the same impression reading their posts. It seems they think "Willow" tosses up ducks and our receivers bails him out while the seahawks defense is so great anyone could win titles with them.
Why not draft offensive talent to control the ball and score more points then? Last I read their WR corp was last in the league.

OP
OP
N

NINEster

Reaction score
Still holding out hope on this year's draft to make some progress to get to Wilson....

Will be bumping this thread accordingly. :mrgreen:

chris98251

Reaction score
NINEster":30044qan said:
Still holding out hope on this year's draft to make some progress to get to Wilson....

Will be bumping this thread accordingly. :mrgreen:

I am sure you are, we won't be seeing this thread again for a while I guess.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
kearly":u9f66hty said:
Only the Rams have had much success stopping Wilson,but always in weird games.

Actually the weird ones that they lose he typically does well. All in all he's had about 4 good games and 4 bad games against us, 2 good games in wins and 2 in losses.

i.e. the 300 yard passing and 100 yard rushing game. He also played pretty well in the opening game last year.