NFC West Predictions

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
I won't quote but nice insight, I'll be the first to admit I have very little interest in the 49'ers so it's good to get a breakdown of them as a team over the last few years.

If the 49'ers best the Seahawks overall in the NFC West I'll wear a 49'ers Jersey every Seahawks game day for 8 games. Maybe.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
Hawks- 11-5
Cards- 10-6
Rams- 9-7
Niners- 7-9

Mentioned earlier if AP the alien cheetah manages to end up a cardinal I may have cards and hawks tie at 10-6

chris98251

Reaction score
Well someone needs to archive the NINEsters post, I know a home team fan has optimism, but I think it looks like he is trying to convince himself more then believe it will happen.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
chris98251":16jzpf9f said:
Well someone needs to archive the NINEsters post, I know a home team fan has optimism, but I think it looks like he is trying to convince himself more then believe it will happen.
I would but it would take up an entire folder and then I'd have to work or something worse (like create ANOTHER folder! ). :mrgreen:

Maybe I could just move it to the archives? That might be interesting to try out. :stirthepot:

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
BAJAHAWK":dt8iuvz1 said:
HAWKS 15-1
RAMS 10-6
CARDS 10-6
WHINNERS 5-11

SO IT WAS WRITTEN SO IT SHALL BE DONE!
Of the predictions so far, yours is the one that feels the most real. Except the niners feel more like a raiders-type deal, losing players, bitch qb now without someone who gets in his face, trust-fund-baby owners whose priority is that the hc looks like silicon valley yuppie and sucks their ass. I wouldn't want to be a niners fan right now. I can't see them getting more than 3 wins in this div where every other team is going the other direction.
GO HAWKS!

rideaducati

Reaction score
NINEster":2ltm2lvw said:
The 49ers I think are the biggest question mark in the division. I know it's fashionable to hate on them based on an 8-8 season last year, the loss of Harbaugh, the loss of some core key guys, and the fact that they are the SF 49ers (which in Seahawk land means at least 1 or 2 games less than a neutral party would pick). If you just look at the trends superficially, it looks like a worse team than last year, which means worse than 8-8.

But at the same time, there's always hopes for optimism in the Bay Area. Obsessive self study in Ninerland has wondered just how the hell the Niners managed to do so well the first three years of Harbaugh.

There is a small part of Niner fans that feels that Harbaugh was a very good coach, but benefitted from a few things that kept the 49ers relevant at a dominant level up until the breaking point:

IMO, this is what transpired (there will be a TLDR cliffs at the end!!!):

Harbaugh brought a different type of offense to the league, not only in it being run based but also tons of shifts and what not. He made Alex Smith more of a game manager than he already was. He had the lockout work to his advantage (thanks to Andrew Luck teaching it to Smith who then taught it to his teammates).

Just as important (maybe more important) he brought Vic Fangio who was a tight D coordinator who immediately elevated Bowman to starting status and finessed the already good defense to be better. He actually made that unit better each season schematically, but that first year of historic dominance (which would be a top 5 all time defense had the 49ers won the SB) he benefitted from Justin Smith and Ray McDonald playing at very high levels. The run defense was historic allowing 3 TDs all year, all coming in the final two weeks of the season.

Lastly, Harbaugh brought fresh energy, relatability ("players coach"), which when you put it all together with the 49ers catching everyone by surprise (and a third place schedule) brought 13-3, and THIS CLOSE to an SB.

Over time, teams adjusted to the 49er offense. The Niners would counterbalance a bit in 2012 with Smith becoming a bit more efficient, additions of Moss/Manningham, etc. Then of course they released Kaepernick who had all of the advantages a young QB could ever want (plus the read option/pistol fad courtesy of the Washington Redskins and RG3).

Close but no cigar in the SB.

2013 offseason, teams study the read option and pistol to death. 49ers make decision to not use Kap to that extent in regular season. Great debut game against Green Bay, then a struggle all season. Loss of Crabtree and other WRs hurt Kap's progress big time just as teams adjusted to him. However, once soldiers return, Kap does play better and 49ers offense does well enough to close out what looked like a lost season at 12-4. Of course, the Seahawks expose the 49ers offense the best of all teams and that home field advantage (plus shutting down the running game) made it very hard for SF to beat Seattle -- and still it could have happened.

2014 offseason - the turmoil with the distractions, Harbaugh leaks, etc. In hindsight it was a doomed season from the start due to chemistry problems, and the fact that year 4 of HaRoman offense finally was past the "sell by" date. 49ers start strong against Dallas and then experience all sorts of problems closing games out.

TLDR Cliffs:

2011 - Harbaugh had a lot of things going for him
2012 - Kap arrives at just the right time
2013 - Kap loses some key personnel just as teams adjust for him
2014 - Team chemistry and staleness of offense offsets the additions of some good offensive players

Oh yeah, PFF run blocking ranks for all 4 seasons:

2011 - #2
2012 - #1
2013 - #3
2014 - #8

What I see in 2015 in my unbiased opinion is this:

Tomsula = PUSH or maybe + for players' coach aspect. PUSH or maybe slight - for in game coaching/game planning
Offensive staff = Major PLUS at skill coaches, OC slight upgrade
Defensive staff = Slight decline at DC, position coaches push or maybe slight -
Offensive personnel = Post Gore era can work out really well if used right. Kap has a deep threat again (T. Smith)
Defensive personnel = DL will lose a bit without Justin, LBs are down a bit, DBs are about the same
Special Teams = Not sure

There WILL BE great positive energy on offense, no question about it.

It's funny.....Niner fans overrated Harbaugh when the team was dominant, and now naturally the opposition is overrating him. No reason why Tomsula can't replace that player's coach aspect which a lot of us Niner fans feel he was at his core and little by little got exposed. TOMSULA can easily be top 5 in the NFL in this category..........EASILY. Better than Adam Gase, Mike/Kyle Shannahan, Gary Kubiak, John Fox, etc.

Before I wrap up and give my NFC West predictions, I ask one question:

Who here (or NinerLand, or any NFL fan for that matter) predicted 13-3 for the 2011 49ers?

That's right....just like the question Harbaugh always asked...........NOBODYYYYYYYYYY!

So WTF can't a team that has already tasted high levels of success not bounce back to greatness?

NFC West:

49ers 11-5
Seahawks 10-6
Cardinals 10-6 (loses in tiebreaker)
Rams 9-7

Comedy gold!

Unbiased opinion? Looks a lot more like biased hope. Tomsula vs Harbaugh is a "push"? I don't even think YOU believe that one. "Slight" decline going from Fangio to Mangini? Sure, whatever you say. Linebackers down "a bit"? In reality, it's like going from Steve Young to Drunkenmiller at the linebacker position.

As for the 2011 niners, they had been predicted to be at least a ten win team for several years PRIOR to that season and never lived up to the predictions. Everyone was predicting the niners to break out that year and they FINALLY did.

This isn't 2011. The niners DON'T have all the pieces in place that were in place in 2011. Trying to talk yourself into believing that what happened in 2011 is going to repeat itself is laughable. There aren't three division opponents that are expected to finish with six or fewer wins like in 2011 either.

You'll have a better chance at getting me to believe in the boogie man than you have getting me to believe that post.

Weadoption

Reaction score
I'm giving ranges in my predictions cuz this is the NFL and stuff.
Hawks, 13-3 to 10-6
Rams, 11-5 to 6-10
49ers, 10-6 to 6-10
Cards, 11-5 to 6-10
I could see my Niners getting a bit better or a bit worse, with injuries and Kap's play in a new offense being the factors that matter most. I think Foles is the biggest X factor in the division, with Palmer's health and mobility being the runner up X factor.
Hawks still the class of the division though by far, but their FO needs to score some O line in this draft.
who knows though?
That's what makes the NFL so appealing.

Chawker

Reaction score
I know that everybody wants the Seahawks to win including me, but have you guys forgot about injuries to the LOB Shem Tommy John surgery, Cam surgery, Earl surgery. I just hope these guys will be ready to roll by week 4, Shem might miss half of the season. It hurts me to think about it, but facts are facts.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Chawker":1z43yqg3 said:
I know that everybody wants the Seahawks to win including me, but have you guys forgot about injuries to the LOB Shem Tommy John surgery, Cam surgery, Earl surgery. I just hope these guys will be ready to roll by week 4, Shem might miss half of the season. It hurts me to think about it, but facts are facts.
I thought Sherm opted out of having the TJ surgery and is expected to be ready to go by the opener?
I think Earl is the one to be concerned the most about recovering in time.
I do worry about Kam breaking down considering his style of play.

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
I personally have no fear that the 3 guys won't be ready for game 1.

I beleive Petes words on talking about Earl being ready for week 1 was something along the lines of "try and stop him".

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
Chawker":2gafsjbj said:

Not sure how much you follow whats going on with the Seahawks but Kam and Sherman are not having surgery. This info was released around mid or late Feb if I recall correctly. Earl had surgery around the time the info on Kam and Sherm was released.

HOLLYWOOD

Reaction score
We are the best team in our division by far. We should have won a SB against a great team with half our secondary with one arm and one with one leg.

Hawks, Cards, Niners, Rams

Latest posts