NFC West Predictions

drewjov11

Reaction score
If the Hawks can stay healthy they will win the division. Unless Arizona secures AP, or somehow finds a running game to protect Palmer's mediocrity, they won't come with 3 games of us. The Niners can either make a splash trade or suffer a 6-7 win season. They can't throw the ball against a good defense, and they lost some serious talent on defense. The Rams may pass them up.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Haven't seen the draft yet.. but early prediction would be..

1) Seattle
2) Los Angeles
3) Arizona
4) Santa Clara

NorCalSeahawk

Reaction score
Pre draft and before FA is TRULY over, I would say....

Seattle- 12-4 maybe 13-3 I don't see the Hawks losing at home (maybe Pit, Det or AZ gives them a bit of a run, but Seattle wins in the end) so 4-4 or 5-3 on the road seems pretty realistic (tough games against GB, Balt, AZ, Cin, Rams and Dallas), one thing to watch will be having some changes in the defensive coaching staff, but I think Carroll is more of the mastermind since the last two DC have flourished under him. It will be interesting to see what the Hawks do in the draft to add to the O and D lines, they have some issues on both lines right now.

AZ- 9-7 I'm not sold on the Cards running game, O-line, new DC and QB situation yet, but with some good draft picks I could see the Cards at or over 10 wins again. I just don't see it yet.

Rams- 9-7 I see the Rams and Cards pushing the Hawks this season. The Rams defense is lights out and I think if Foles can be even a above average QB and they can get some issues fixed in the running game and O-line they will be neck and neck with the Cards and a few other teams for a wildcard spot and maybe even in the hunt for the division if the Hawks get off to a slow start with some of their injury issues.

SF- 6-10 Oh how this mighty have fallen. This seems like the Seahawks team from 2007-2010, an aging team with vets retiring, key pieces moving on (like Gore, Crabtree, Iupati, etc) or hurt. They have some pieces (a QB, good D-line and some decent WR's and TE's), but really I don't see this team competing this season. even with a good draft this season and next year they are 2-3 years off from being relevant again. Plus who knows what they have in their new coach, he could be the next Jim Harbaugh or the next Mike Singletary.

canfan

Reaction score
Seahawks : 11 - 5
Rams: 10 - 6
Cards: 9 - 7
S.C.: 7 - 9

All conjecture of course, but I think the Seahawks will have a slow start similar to 2014 as they wait for starters in the secondary to get healthy. Rams have the team speed and killer D-Line to improve their record a lot with a healthy, league average QB. Cards will take a step back as they had several lucky bounces last year, Carson Palmer will again struggle to stay healthy and they will miss Todd Bowles more than people think. 49er's will be competitive but have lost too much talent to keep up over 60 minutes most weeks. I'd give them a worse record, but I keep thinking about how we all buy into the media hype...remember Dallas was going to have a historically bad defense last year? And the year before the Jets (who went 8-8) were a lock for the 1st overall draft pick in 2014?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
14-2 Hawks
9-7 Rams
8-8 Cards
8-8 Santa Clara

JaiSeaSea

Reaction score
OA Div
Seahawks 12-4 4-2
St. Louis 10-6 3-3
Arizona 9-7 3-3
S.C. 6-10 2-4

Seahawks #2 Seed, 3PETE NFC Champs, SB 50 WINNER!! (vs. SteAlers)
St. Louis WC, 1st round loser

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Seahawks - 11-5

I just keep waiting for Seattle to have one of those disappointing seasons....where expectations are just not met for whatever random reason....but can't see it with that defense and home field advantage.

Rams - 10-6

This is operating under the assumption that we fix this damned offensive line....might be two rookies starting though, which would alter my prediction down to 9-7 at best.

Niners - 6-10

No explanation necessary here.

Cardinals - 5-11

Okay so here's the deal. Arians is one heck of a coach, can't dispute that. But aside from injuries, this team got so lucky last year, and I think they are closer to the team that got destroyed by Seattle in Arizona 35-6 or whatever it was, than their 11-5 overall record. Their defense has been the least talented unit of the 4 NFCW teams for a few years now, but played extremely well. Their pass rush won't be good, they lost Cromartie so their 2nd CB is a big question mark, everyone assumes Carson Palmer will come back and play well, but how often do QBs that age come back from serious injuries and play well (aside from Peyton)? Their oline was still shaky last year, and their running game wasn't good.

It could very well be the Rams at 5-11 and Cards at 10-6....wouldn't be surprised. But this has to be Fisher's last chance to field a winning football team for the Rams, so right now I'm having faith.

I think the NFCW finishes .500 regardless. We will be going up against the NFLs 2nd best division in the AFC North. They put forth 3 playoff teams several times over the years, and are now looking downright formidable as the Ravens D seems to be on the upswing. The Steelers have the best young RB and best WR in the NFL. I know the Rams play at Cincy and at Baltimore, so I can't see better than 2-2 against the AFC this year for the Rams. The NFCW teams that get to play the Browns in Cleveland have an advantage, but even then the Browns have randomly played well and taken down good teams the last few years, and like my Rams have some serious talent on D.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Ramfan128":1rni30ay said:
Seahawks - 11-5

I just keep waiting for Seattle to have one of those disappointing seasons....where expectations are just not met for whatever random reason....but can't see it with that defense and home field advantage.

Rams - 10-6

This is operating under the assumption that we fix this damned offensive line....might be two rookies starting though, which would alter my prediction down to 9-7 at best.

Niners - 6-10

No explanation necessary here.

Cardinals - 5-11

Okay so here's the deal. Arians is one heck of a coach, can't dispute that. But aside from injuries, this team got so lucky last year, and I think they are closer to the team that got destroyed by Seattle in Arizona 35-6 or whatever it was, than their 11-5 overall record. Their defense has been the least talented unit of the 4 NFCW teams for a few years now, but played extremely well. Their pass rush won't be good, they lost Cromartie so their 2nd CB is a big question mark, everyone assumes Carson Palmer will come back and play well, but how often do QBs that age come back from serious injuries and play well (aside from Peyton)? Their oline was still shaky last year, and their running game wasn't good.

It could very well be the Rams at 5-11 and Cards at 10-6....wouldn't be surprised. But this has to be Fisher's last chance to field a winning football team for the Rams, so right now I'm having faith.

I think the NFCW finishes .500 regardless. We will be going up against the NFLs 2nd best division in the AFC North. They put forth 3 playoff teams several times over the years, and are now looking downright formidable as the Ravens D seems to be on the upswing. The Steelers have the best young RB and best WR in the NFL. I know the Rams play at Cincy and at Baltimore, so I can't see better than 2-2 against the AFC this year for the Rams. The NFCW teams that get to play the Browns in Cleveland have an advantage, but even then the Browns have randomly played well and taken down good teams the last few years, and like my Rams have some serious talent on D.

Jeff Fisher is now the only thing that will hold the Rams back.

This guy is the biggest walking contradiction in sports. He is on the competition committee and wants stiffer fines and punishments for personal fouls, yet his team leads the league in such penalties every year. His teams always have a cheap shot artist that Fisher seems to condone by not doling out any sort of punishment for the actions of that player.

He is called a great coach, yet in his twenty years of being a head coach, has only had six winning seasons.

With the Rams, his teams have not improved on either side of the ball, finishing 21st, 21st, and 25th in the league in scoring offensively and 14th, 13th, and 16th in the league defensively.

His teams seem to always have one elite unit and seem to ignore the other units. Sure, they'll have a dominating pass rush, but the run defense and secondary will play so poorly that the team will still finish somewhere in the middle of the pack.

Offensively, they'll have either a good pass game or a good run game, but never will they have both. They'll finish near where they have the past few years offensively too.

Overall, Fisher's lack of discipline and control will end up ruining yet another optimistic Rams season.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
rideaducati":3g1zgqio said:

This guy is the biggest walking contradiction in sports. He is on the competition committee and wants stiffer fines and punishments for personal fouls, yet his team leads the league in such penalties every year. His teams always have a cheap shot artist that Fisher seems to condone by not doling out any sort of punishment for the actions of that player.

He is called a great coach, yet in his twenty years of being a head coach, has only had six winning seasons.

With the Rams, his teams have not improved on either side of the ball, finishing 21st, 21st, and 25th in the league in scoring offensively and 14th, 13th, and 16th in the league defensively.

His teams seem to always have one elite unit and seem to ignore the other units. Sure, they'll have a dominating pass rush, but the run defense and secondary will play so poorly that the team will still finish somewhere in the middle of the pack.

Offensively, they'll have either a good pass game or a good run game, but never will they have both. They'll finish near where they have the past few years offensively too.

Overall, Fisher's lack of discipline and control will end up ruining yet another optimistic Rams season.
My guess is that you're spot on about Fisher and the Lambs yet he'll outcoach Pete Carroll once again in St. Louis and the Hawks will once again lose the game there.
Do you have any idea how badly I want to be wrong about that prediction?

rideaducati

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":17hheh13 said:
rideaducati":17hheh13 said:

My guess is that you're spot on about Fisher and the Lambs yet he'll outcoach Pete Carroll once again in St. Louis and the Hawks will once again lose the game there.

Jeff Fisher's teams, no matter how good they are, will never line up and beat a better team by playing straight up. They will always win with fluke plays or have the other team play down to them.

Last season the loss was fluke fakes because Fisher KNEW his Rams weren't nearly as good as the Seahawks. The 2012 game had the Seahawks offense shooting themselves in the foot. Falling down making a cut...int. Ball hitting the ground and bouncing up being called an int. It was nothing the Rams did.

I don't think Pete will let that happen again because the Rams won't even be close to the Seahawks in either game this season. I don't think Pete has been out coached in either loss either. The Rams were AHEAD and called a fake punt inside their own twenty yard line. NO TEAM IN HISTORY had ever done that. The Rams were desperate and knew they wouldn't be able to line up and beat the Seahawks straight up, so they pulled a single play out of their arses. Good for them.

LolaRox

Reaction score
My too early prediction:

Hawks 12-4 Should be in a good position to lead this division.

Cards 8-8 Not as high on them as some of you. How will be the defense be impacted by losing Todd Bowles?

Niners 8-8 Not as low on them as some of you. Only time will tell how they deal with this roller coaster offseason but I'm not ready to count them out completely.

Rams 7-9 Not sold on Nick Foles, but he's better than what they had last year and Jeff Fisher is still their coach

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
jblaze":10ugomvs said:
Sea: 12-4
Ariz: 10-6
St. L.: 9-7
San Fran: 6-10

I agree with this presumption before the draft....and free or cheap agency. LOL

Ramfan128

Reaction score
rideaducati":m5g9ohz6 said:
hawksfansinceday1":m5g9ohz6 said:
rideaducati":m5g9ohz6 said:

Jeff Fisher's teams, no matter how good they are, will never line up and beat a better team by playing straight up. They will always win with fluke plays or have the other team play down to them.

Last season the loss was fluke fakes because Fisher KNEW his Rams weren't nearly as good as the Seahawks. The 2012 game had the Seahawks offense shooting themselves in the foot. Falling down making a cut...int. Ball hitting the ground and bouncing up being called an int. It was nothing the Rams did.

I don't think Pete will let that happen again because the Rams won't even be close to the Seahawks in either game this season. I don't think Pete has been out coached in either loss either. The Rams were AHEAD and called a fake punt inside their own twenty yard line. NO TEAM IN HISTORY had ever done that. The Rams were desperate and knew they wouldn't be able to line up and beat the Seahawks straight up, so they pulled a single play out of their arses. Good for them.

Well, you're right about the Rams not being nearly as good as the Seahawks last year. And while I might feel the same as you had my team lost to a bunch a fakes, at the end of the day, Austin Davis had a passer rating of well over 100. That would be the reason the Seahawks lost that game IMO....no way he should have been able to do that.

The year between the two games you're talking about, the Rams dominated the Seahawks on Monday night football. Had over 200 yards rushing and held the Seahawks to under 200 total yards. But we lost. It happens. I don't talk about Golden Tate's flukey TD catch (in which our DB fell down), because it was a great call and a great play - just like the fake punt in last year's game.

NINEster

Reaction score
The 49ers I think are the biggest question mark in the division. I know it's fashionable to hate on them based on an 8-8 season last year, the loss of Harbaugh, the loss of some core key guys, and the fact that they are the SF 49ers (which in Seahawk land means at least 1 or 2 games less than a neutral party would pick). If you just look at the trends superficially, it looks like a worse team than last year, which means worse than 8-8.

But at the same time, there's always hopes for optimism in the Bay Area. Obsessive self study in Ninerland has wondered just how the hell the Niners managed to do so well the first three years of Harbaugh.

There is a small part of Niner fans that feels that Harbaugh was a very good coach, but benefitted from a few things that kept the 49ers relevant at a dominant level up until the breaking point:

IMO, this is what transpired (there will be a TLDR cliffs at the end!!!):

Harbaugh brought a different type of offense to the league, not only in it being run based but also tons of shifts and what not. He made Alex Smith more of a game manager than he already was. He had the lockout work to his advantage (thanks to Andrew Luck teaching it to Smith who then taught it to his teammates).

Just as important (maybe more important) he brought Vic Fangio who was a tight D coordinator who immediately elevated Bowman to starting status and finessed the already good defense to be better. He actually made that unit better each season schematically, but that first year of historic dominance (which would be a top 5 all time defense had the 49ers won the SB) he benefitted from Justin Smith and Ray McDonald playing at very high levels. The run defense was historic allowing 3 TDs all year, all coming in the final two weeks of the season.

Lastly, Harbaugh brought fresh energy, relatability ("players coach"), which when you put it all together with the 49ers catching everyone by surprise (and a third place schedule) brought 13-3, and THIS CLOSE to an SB.

Over time, teams adjusted to the 49er offense. The Niners would counterbalance a bit in 2012 with Smith becoming a bit more efficient, additions of Moss/Manningham, etc. Then of course they released Kaepernick who had all of the advantages a young QB could ever want (plus the read option/pistol fad courtesy of the Washington Redskins and RG3).

Close but no cigar in the SB.

2013 offseason, teams study the read option and pistol to death. 49ers make decision to not use Kap to that extent in regular season. Great debut game against Green Bay, then a struggle all season. Loss of Crabtree and other WRs hurt Kap's progress big time just as teams adjusted to him. However, once soldiers return, Kap does play better and 49ers offense does well enough to close out what looked like a lost season at 12-4. Of course, the Seahawks expose the 49ers offense the best of all teams and that home field advantage (plus shutting down the running game) made it very hard for SF to beat Seattle -- and still it could have happened.

2014 offseason - the turmoil with the distractions, Harbaugh leaks, etc. In hindsight it was a doomed season from the start due to chemistry problems, and the fact that year 4 of HaRoman offense finally was past the "sell by" date. 49ers start strong against Dallas and then experience all sorts of problems closing games out.

TLDR Cliffs:

2011 - Harbaugh had a lot of things going for him
2012 - Kap arrives at just the right time
2013 - Kap loses some key personnel just as teams adjust for him
2014 - Team chemistry and staleness of offense offsets the additions of some good offensive players

Oh yeah, PFF run blocking ranks for all 4 seasons:

2011 - #2
2012 - #1
2013 - #3
2014 - #8

What I see in 2015 in my unbiased opinion is this:

Tomsula = PUSH or maybe + for players' coach aspect. PUSH or maybe slight - for in game coaching/game planning
Offensive staff = Major PLUS at skill coaches, OC slight upgrade
Defensive staff = Slight decline at DC, position coaches push or maybe slight -
Offensive personnel = Post Gore era can work out really well if used right. Kap has a deep threat again (T. Smith)
Defensive personnel = DL will lose a bit without Justin, LBs are down a bit, DBs are about the same
Special Teams = Not sure

There WILL BE great positive energy on offense, no question about it.

It's funny.....Niner fans overrated Harbaugh when the team was dominant, and now naturally the opposition is overrating him. No reason why Tomsula can't replace that player's coach aspect which a lot of us Niner fans feel he was at his core and little by little got exposed. TOMSULA can easily be top 5 in the NFL in this category..........EASILY. Better than Adam Gase, Mike/Kyle Shannahan, Gary Kubiak, John Fox, etc.

Before I wrap up and give my NFC West predictions, I ask one question:

Who here (or NinerLand, or any NFL fan for that matter) predicted 13-3 for the 2011 49ers?

That's right....just like the question Harbaugh always asked...........NOBODYYYYYYYYYY!

So WTF can't a team that has already tasted high levels of success not bounce back to greatness?

NFC West:

49ers 11-5
Seahawks 10-6
Cardinals 10-6 (loses in tiebreaker)
Rams 9-7

Latest posts