NFL cancels London, Mexico City games for 2020

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/FieldGulls/status/1257384525040160769[/tweet]

The Arizona Cardinals (Mexico City), Atlanta Falcons (London), Jacksonville Jaguars (London), and Miami Dolphins (London) were slated to be the designated home teams for these international games. While none of the matchups were ever announced, the Seattle Seahawks did have road games scheduled at Arizona, Atlanta, and Miami, so there was a possibility that they would’ve traveled outside the country for a road game (just like when they made their London debut in 2018 against the Oakland Raiders).

sutz

Reaction score
Was never a fan of the overseas games. Fine with me.

daveyoung52

Reaction score
Seahawks owned Wembley for a Raiders home game and the Raiders are popular over here, just saying. It was amazing :irishdrinkers:

OP
OP
KitsapGuy

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
I heard the schedule was to be released on the 7th. Hope that doesn't change now.

OP
OP
KitsapGuy

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
By Bob Condotta
Seattle Times staff reporter

While the NFL says it’s ready to change course as needed based on complications that arise from the novel coronavirus, the league also continues to go forward with its plans for the 2020 season.

And that includes releasing the regular-season schedule later this week.

Brian McCarthy, the vice president of communications for the NFL, tweeted last week that the schedule “should be out by May 9th.’’

That’s led most to conclude the schedule is likely to drop by at least Thursday of this week.

That’s how it has typically occurred the last few years, that the NFL has announced the week the schedule will come out and then has released it on a Wednesday or Thursday night of that week to coincide with a live show on the NFL Network breaking down the schedule itself — last year’s schedule release came on Wednesday, the previous three years on Thursday. Most speculation for this year’s schedule release has pointed to Thursday.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... 1588628775

IndyHawk

Reaction score
sutz":uauaznkd said:
Was never a fan of the overseas games. Fine with me.
Same here..
Give them XFL instead or bring back the NFL Europe
League.

Keyhawk

Reaction score
Good. Now I am assured the Hawks will play the Fins here in Miam. I will go unless the pandemic keeps fans out.

andyh64000

Reaction score
I think we would have played Miami in London. I am kind of bummed, I was looking forward to the trip plus exchanging a road game for a neutral site game is an advantage.

flv

Reaction score
The following is a general comment. It is not targetting Seattle residents or Seahawks fans, both of whom consistently rank in the upper echelons of fan support regardless of team success or other factors.

US sports fans are a strange bunch. Stadiums are expensive to build. US citizens vehemently object to local or state taxation in order to raise funds to build private ownership stadiums. They object to additional costs being levied on game tickets. They object to extra money being earned through high prices for food, drink, shirt sales, etc. They object to extra games to increase income. They object to teams playing games internationally to generate extra revenue. Owners eventually decide they can't generate the extra money needed for replacement stadia in the current location and choose to move the franchise to a greater income location. Fans then become apoplectic and bitch incessantly about how badly they're treated and how unfair capitalism is. It's about time fans grew up and had an adult debate about stadium funding.