NFL Considering Adding Eighth Playoff Team...

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Interesting. Of course I like it because it helps us. It's unfair to the team that earns the 1 seed in the NFC, but I think that's a minor beef.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I could be off base, but I believe if we lose and the Packers lose, we would not get in by virtue of their better conference record. (same tie breaker that we lose if we both win).

Jegpeg

Reaction score
It would also mean TV would want us to beat the rams to make the packer lions a win and in game for both teams. So we might not get a load of calls against us. Going against that a defeat to 5he lambs would mean the packers make the play off whatever.

James in PA

Reaction score
Hey, I know! Just give every team a Lombardi this year! Participation trophies for everyone!

Ruminator

Reaction score
It would also mean TV would want us to beat the rams to make the packer lions a win and in game for both teams. So we might not get a load of calls against us. Going against that a defeat to 5he lambs would mean the packers make the play off whatever.
Oh wow, TVs with opinions! What would my TV want? Dust me!

Ozzy

Reaction score
I thought this was removed as an option?

kidhawk

Reaction score
I thought this was removed as an option?
Well, they have to have had considered it before they can remove it, right? I think there are probably many options on the table and being discussed behind the scenes. We may not have the full details of the changes until after the games on Sunday. At least the AFC games. They should be able to decide before the SNF game. I would like to see a decision before Sunday, but they may have options that are dependent on what happens this weekend.

KinesProf

Reaction score
I get that it would suck to lose a bye or home field advantage by way of an 8th team being added to each conference. But this is such an unprecedented situation, compounded with the awkwardness of it happening this late in the season; so you can only be so mad if your team is adversely affected as the league tries to find the best possible outcome.

This is all very, very secondary to the wellness of Mr. Hamlin; so anyone whining too loudly about this is likely an a-hole taking their fandom a bit too seriously.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
Clearly the health of Damar Hamlin is the most important thing that is now in the hands of different people than those that make decisions about how the season is concluded.

I would hope that a decison is made before the Chiefs / Raiders kicks off tomorrow, or at least before Sunday's games. Waiting until after the games are completed means that decisions willat least be perceived to be made based on favorite teams. If they wait until after Sundays games and knowing the Packers finish 8th decide to give them a play-off berth they will not be able to claim that they are impartial any more.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Am I missing something? I've been watching NFL Network and reading articles and I don't see any mention of 8 teams making it in per conference. It still seems that the Seahawks and Lions both have to win in order for us to make it in.

🤷‍♂️

kidhawk

Reaction score
Am I missing something? I've been watching NFL Network and reading articles and I don't see any mention of 8 teams making it in per conference. It still seems that the Seahawks and Lions both have to win in order for us to make it in.

🤷‍♂️
Nothing has been officially decided. Sources have said that adding a playoff team would alleviate some unfairness in the AFC, and that if they do that, they'd have to add a team for the NFC as well. I think the NFL has multiple options still on the table, but may not change anything else. It's still kind of a wait and see game until the NFL comes out and says "this is how the playoffs will work this year".

IMO, the only changes that are highly likely are to have some games played at a neutral field. That would only include a handful of games that could have had homefield go either way had the Bills/Bengals game been completed. They are also discussing just flipping a coin to decide home field as well.

Personally, I just want the NFL to come out and give us the final list of any changes (if any) that are going to be implemented so we can just go back to worrying about beating a Rams team without Aaron Donald.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I've just heard that the owners decided on changing the home field advantage rules for the AFC. It doesn't appear that any further playoff changes are forthcoming. Seems the NFC will not be changed at all, and the AFC has scenarios where there may be a game(s) played on a neutral field.

IMO this is the lease intrusive, but I can understand why teams in the AFC would be upset at the possibility of losing a home playoff game.