NFL considering outlawing cut blocks beginning 2016

Tical21

Reaction score
They probably need to do it. Guys don't really do it right anymore, anyways. The target was never supposed to be the knee, but it clearly is now.

If you're quick enough, you can technically get your feet around a guy, using a "scoop" technique rather than cutting, although it is going to result in more holding. I don't think the biggest impact will be in the running game. Teams will have to do more trapping, blocking down and pulling a backside guard. Teams may have to run inside a little bit more, where you don't cut block anyways.

The biggest impact is going to be in the passing game. What the cut block does more than anything is slow guys down. It makes them think that if they come flying off the ball, they're going to get cut, and end up on their face. If you get a super aggressive d-tackle in front of you, the cut is your best weapon. Cut him down a handful of times, that will slow him down. Now he starts coming off the ball looking to use his hands to help him get over a cut. Now you've got him. Now you can come flying off the ball and knock him back. If there isn't anything in his head to slow him down coming off the ball, he's just going to tee-off all game long.

I do want to clarify though that backside cuts aren't unique to zone blocking. Teams have been cutting on the backside for at least 30 years.

NINEster

Reaction score
Are the Seahawks intending to continue ZBS after Lynch?

NINEster

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2smptu17 said:
Largent80":2smptu17 said:
Bronco's have been doing it longer than anyone.

The Broncos started doing it when they brought in Shanny as the HC in '95.

He brought it with him from his time in S.F. as OC, where he picked it up from McKittrick.

Agreed that it's probably most associated with the Shanny and Gibbs Broncos, but Bob McKittrick with the 9ers gets the ignominious distinction of the innovation.

Giants' fans love to remind me that they have a hatred for McKittrick.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ Yep. As they should.

He's easily up there as one of the best OL coaches in the history of the game, but the legacy he left is nothing to be proud of, in my opinion.

Basis4day

Reaction score
NINEster":2v9qr536 said:
Are the Seahawks intending to continue ZBS after Lynch?

Yup. They intended to use it before we traded for Lynch when Alex Gibbs was hired. It's the system Cable runs.
It'll be a fixture for as long as Carroll is here.