NFL now looking into situation W/ Sherman’s MCL

Foghawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1joq9jue said:
I own this, but I'm not backing down.

I saw a very frustrated and more importantly unhappy Sherman this year..............like the joy is gone from the game for him. I didn't see any physical issues like they're claiming. I saw a fire in the belly issue.

When our most outspoken player goes from screaming at Skip Bayless and picking Twitter fights with Darrelle Revis to taking his anger internal at his own players and coaches? Something's wrong above the shoulders.

I agree with this 100%.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":h6gf2b26 said:
Sgt. Largent":h6gf2b26 said:
Does anyone else think this might be Richard trying to make excuses for getting schooled by Jones and not having a very good year?

I've listened to enough Pete pressers to tell when he's not being completely honest, and I sniffed that out right away when he said "I guess I screwed up" when talking about Sherman's supposed sprained MCL.

Yes there is a gamesmanship angle here to not divulging Richard's injury because it helps the other team scheme against you, but I don't get that vibe here.

Pete knows what the janitor had for lunch, to say something silly like I screwed up hesitantly with a major injury just sounds to me like he's covering for Richard sucking.

What I don't get is Pete called it serious. How can someone play with a serious MCL injury and never be limited to practice time? Does anyone think Sherman looked hobbled while playing in games? I wont speculate but this is odd and something is missing from the story.

Because it's all BS like I said. CB's don't practice in full every single week after "seriously" spraining their MCL.

Pete's protecting Sherman's fragile ego for being an emotional mess and having a down year.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
We've lost practice days the past several seasons due to Pete and now this. If we lose a draft pick, there need to be consequences for him. A short leash would be appteciated.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":2xcxfew4 said:
What I don't get is Pete called it serious. How can someone play with a serious MCL injury and never be limited to practice time? Does anyone think Sherman looked hobbled while playing in games? I wont speculate but this is odd and something is missing from the story.

I'm not disputing that this may be coach covering for a player who had an off year, but

Somewhere after the Panthers game, I started noticing Sherman playing a little deeper on his coverage, like he was afraid to get burned over the top. He also seemed to have lost a step. It seemed odd, because I don't remember him playing or looking like that against the Saints or the Falcons earlier in the season (two games where it might be understandable to be more worried about the deep ball).

I didn't pay much attention to it, and chalked it up to the loss of Thomas. This still may be the true explanation for the adjustment. It is also possible that Pete is speaking the truth here and Sherman. He certainly looked off in the second half of the season, more so than he did early.

Seymour

Reaction score
Not only is the entire excuse now backfiring, it is full of holes and contradiction. Sherms first mind melt was game 6 and before the supposed injury excuse even occurred. Also, Pete calls it a serious injury, then doubles back after realizing the size 12 leather sandwich doesn't taste good and says "but he is alright".

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
The policy can be read here:

http://operations.nfl.com/media/2235/06 ... policy.pdf

The pertinent information highlighted below:

Policy injury

So if they are investigating, then they are getting the medical evidence for this injury. If indeed we were fully aware of the injury, it was indeed 'significant' as Pete alluded and we didn't report it, I'd say we're probably going to get the book thrown our way.

It would obviously be different from the Wilson situation in that the injury was never disclosed or known until Pete mentioned it. So the level of violation in terms of intentionally misleading all necessary parties is much greater.

This could actually be the most significant offense that Pete has committed in his seven years in Seattle. Here's to hoping that he was embellishing a minor injury to help deflect blame of poor performance.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Seymour":1nnsb81h said:
We are already down 1 draft pick this year because of Pete and his "always compete unless you are a coach" theme from last years practice contact infractions. We could draw a worse fine / sanction for repeat violation IIRC.

That was a horseshit penalty as well though. Two players banged heads while going for a fumble, and we get punished for excessive contact ? Please.

Seafan

Reaction score
The MCL injury must have been a 1st degree variety or he had significantly recovered by end of the season. I seriously doubt Pete would have Sherm fielding punts if the knee was in bad shape.

Seymour

Reaction score
Hawks46":gswufb67 said:
Seymour":gswufb67 said:
We are already down 1 draft pick this year because of Pete and his "always compete unless you are a coach" theme from last years practice contact infractions. We could draw a worse fine / sanction for repeat violation IIRC.

That was a horseshit penalty as well though. Two players banged heads while going for a fumble, and we get punished for excessive contact ? Please.

Maybe so, but there has been a pattern of this here. We should expect scrutiny and be a bit smarter. Playing dumb all the time eventually makes people believe that your aren't just playing.

mikeak

Reaction score
Schefter tweets - 2nd round pick may be lost!!!!!!!! That is way worse than I would have imagined

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mikeak":gy9ndbyu said:
Schefter tweets - 2nd round pick may be lost!!!!!!!! That is way worse than I would have imagined

Pete handled this terribly.

Why didn't he just put this on Richard and say Sherman never disclosed it to them, or wasn't being truthful when they asked him if he was hurt? Instead he says something stupid like "oh man, guess I didn't handle that very well."

Ridiculous.

mikeak

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":qalv5ikg said:
mikeak":qalv5ikg said:

Pete handled this terribly.

Why didn't he just put this on Richard and say Sherman never disclosed it to them, or wasn't being truthful when they asked him if he was hurt? Instead he says something stupid like "oh man, guess I didn't handle that very well."

Ridiculous.

I agree and then the way they announced it. At least wait until the spring for spring practice or something

I mean ignoring the fact that they should have put him on the injury list!!!!!!

Hawks46

Reaction score
If Pete was covering for Sherm, then nothing will come from this. If there was no medical treatment for it, than there is nothing to be punished for

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Hawks46":35ydfgjw said:
If Pete was covering for Sherm, then nothing will come from this. If there was no medical treatment for it, than there is nothing to be punished for

I cannot find anything on whether Sherman is getting surgery now for his "significant" MCL injury. Here is an interesting statement. [urltargetblank]http://sportsnaut.com/2017/01/richard-sherman-regrets-playing-mcl-injury-much-season/[/urltargetblank]

"On the one hand, it’s commendable that Sherman tried to gut out the season to pursue a championship with his teammates. On the other hand, perhaps he would have been better off getting his knee repaired when he was first injured. Then perhaps he might have been able to recover in time for the Seahawks’ playoff run."

So was RS's "regret" that he didn't get surgery in the middle of the season? If the answer is yes, then where is the discussion about him getting surgery now? I would think that would be pertinent to whatever investigation that is going on. If Sherman doesn't need surgery, what did he regret then? If he doesn't need surgery now, then why did Pete even say anything about it. All Carroll did was put a huge spotlight on a situation that the NFL cannot ignore even it wanted to.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":35faoxy1 said:
Hawks46":35faoxy1 said:

I cannot find anything on whether Sherman is getting surgery now for his "significant" MCL injury. Here is an interesting statement. [urltargetblank]http://sportsnaut.com/2017/01/richard-sherman-regrets-playing-mcl-injury-much-season/[/urltargetblank]

"On the one hand, it’s commendable that Sherman tried to gut out the season to pursue a championship with his teammates. On the other hand, perhaps he would have been better off getting his knee repaired when he was first injured. Then perhaps he might have been able to recover in time for the Seahawks’ playoff run."

So was RS's "regret" that he didn't get surgery in the middle of the season? If the answer is yes, then where is the discussion about him getting surgery now? I would think that would be pertinent to whatever investigation that is going on. If Sherman doesn't need surgery, what did he regret then? If he doesn't need surgery now, then why did Pete even say anything about it. All Carroll did was put a huge spotlight on a situation that the NFL cannot ignore even it wanted to.
"Regret" in that link was made up by the article writer, RS himself has said no such thing.

edit: even the only source so far, Mortensen, says nobody has reached any conclusions; which makes you also doubt his speculation about '2nd round pick'; even if he heard that from 'league sources' it would at this point be pure speculation.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":sriad7w1 said:
"Regret" in that link was made up by the article writer, RS himself has said no such thing.

I thought Pete said it as well but seems things are a bit convoluted right now.
[tweet]https://twitter.com/SheilKapadia/status/821054925153177600[/tweet]

Largent80

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":18svy5x9 said:
Largent80":18svy5x9 said:
I blame Bevell.
You heathen!
:lol: ...True but you KNOW that someone on this board thinks that way. That's the sad but rather comedic relief I now get here.

It's like a bunch of bad comics at a stand up.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":gz74gk76 said:
LeftHandSmoke":gz74gk76 said:

I thought Pete said it as well but seems things are a bit convoluted right now.
[tweet]https://twitter.com/SheilKapadia/status/821054925153177600[/tweet]
Ok, but Pete didn't suggest the 'regret' was anything about not having had surgery. To read that into it would be, again, speculative..