NFL reviewing Russell Wilson's concussion test

mikeak

Reaction score
The only thing that may help us is that the doctor didn't clear him. The violation was more by RE than the team. Point being if the Doctor goes in there and "fakes it" then it is worse. The team can argue that the player ran out there and there was confusion as the coaches didn't realize what happened. By the time they realized it we were punting and they were just going to take him off the field regardless.....

Also did anyone else find it amusing that RW usually holds the ball two to three times as long as he sat in that tent :)

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
To me it seemed like Russ and the team didnt know he was in concussion protocol. I think they thought he was pulled off for a play because he caused an injury timeout, he hurt his jaw and didnt have a concussion.

This incident was most likely caused by poor communication from the referees not being clear as to why he was being pulled off.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Is our team doc that fellow in the brown suit? He was busy Thursday. Wasn't he talking to Russ on their way off the field? Couldn't he clear him just by asking him simple recognition questions?

Rocket

Reaction score
Seymour":1fze60bz said:
The jaw is on a hinge connected to the head. That hinge is going to absorb more of the impact that the brain. :roll:
What about when you're wearing a mouth guard, as football players often do? Does this change your thoughts on jaw dynamics?
Boxers occasionally aim for the chin. When successful there's a knockout. What are your thoughts on that?

Redsand187

Reaction score
ZorntoLargent":xxh5btgs said:
Did these test happen in SB 49?????
Oh, just tested US in that game, not New England?
Maybe they should have tested Bevell :lol:

Hawksfan78

Reaction score
Can the ref make a person go for concussion tests? I thought it had to come from the doc working for the NFL. The ref can make a player take a play off in the interest of safety.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Hawksfan78":1pqt0r02 said:
Can the ref make a person go for concussion tests? I thought it had to come from the doc working for the NFL. The ref can make a player take a play off in the interest of safety.

This is a good question. There is an independent person in the booth that is supposed to review plays and determine whether a player should go through the protocol. According to the announcers there is a team doctor and an independent doctor that performs the protocol on the sideline. The league itself is investigating whether or not RW went through the protocol on the sideline properly.

Maybe someone else can but I cannot find anything on whether the referee can make the decision for a player go to the sideline for the protocol. After thinking about it, maybe they shouldn't be able to. They are not doctors and the NFL hires specific people that are more qualified and it is their sole purpose to make that decision. Referees have issues doing their own jobs much less someone elses. I wouldn't think the NFL would want to put a decision like that on the refs anyways.

So all that said, if the referees do not have the authority to send a player to the sideline for the protocol then the investigation should be dropped. Who knows though, maybe someone in the booth wired down to the ref to take RW out.

mikeak

Reaction score
It was stated during he broadcast that not only can de ref asked for it but also that henleague has been pushing for more of that awareness

I think it should be an injury timeout charged to neither team when the ref asks for it

Hawkpower

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":ajb9j8cw said:
Hawksfan78":ajb9j8cw said:

This is a good question. There is an independent person in the booth that is supposed to review plays and determine whether a player should go through the protocol. According to the announcers there is a team doctor and an independent doctor that performs the protocol on the sideline. The league itself is investigating whether or not RW went through the protocol on the sideline properly.

Maybe someone else can but I cannot find anything on whether the referee can make the decision for a player go to the sideline for the protocol. After thinking about it, maybe they shouldn't be able to. They are not doctors and the NFL hires specific people that are more qualified and it is their sole purpose to make that decision. Referees have issues doing their own jobs much less someone elses. I wouldn't think the NFL would want to put a decision like that on the refs anyways.

So all that said, if the referees do not have the authority to send a player to the sideline for the protocol than the investigation should be dropped. Who knows though, maybe someone in the booth wired down to the ref to take RW out.

I would have no problem with a dr upstairs who's specific job it is to watch player reactions buzzing down for a guy to be checked out

I have a problem if this is Walt Anderson getting to make that decision all by himself. He's a ref, not a dr. And considering the way he was calling the game, its suspicious.

In no way shape or form should the Hawks have to be "investigated" because they didnt agree with REFEREE (not dr) Walt Anderson and made the decision that RW was fine. Sitting out the one play was damaging (and uncecessary) enough as it was.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
253hawk":32n6rfzh said:
twisted_steel2":32n6rfzh said:
So the same ref that was calling a completely lopsided game, decides to pull RW for one play. Huh.

Interesting. ;)

Now imagine this happening to a QB during a game-winning drive in the playoffs, because the ref thought he saw the QB get hit in the head. By the time he clears protocol, the backup has already come in and lost the game.

The blind idiot didn’t bother throwing his flag, but he’ll send Russell off the field for a headshot anyway.

irocdave

Reaction score
renofox":vjusr9bt said:
I've watched a lot of games this year and last year, and this is the first time I've seen a QB forced out of the game merely for concussion protocol, including dozens and dozens of harder hits with the QB getting up much slower than RW did. Amazing how so many extremely rare occurrences happen to the Seahawks. Just coincidence, I'm sure.

agreed. RW took a nasty shot to the the chin and looked a little woozey, but I have never seen a NFL ref order a player to the sideline like this before. If the ref thought he was concussed by the play why not throw the flag and boot the offender.?

I have had several concussions while playing HS football and in my later career. If it isnt to bad you snap out of if quickly and are pissed off for being set aside. RW did get his bell wrung, but it wasnt that bad. He knew it thats why he played along then bolted. Why wasn't the guy that put his forehead in to RW chin booted out of the game?

TwilightError

Reaction score
This will turn bad on us. Whatever the maximum possible consequences are, expect that.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
TwilightError":sbxws0nw said:
This will turn bad on us. Whatever the maximum possible consequences are, expect that.

Max penalty is a fine

Reaction score
Uncle Si":339lql9p said:
TwilightError":339lql9p said:

Max penalty is a fine

Not sure where you read that. Penalties for ignoring concussion protocol for competitive reasons includes loss of draft picks.

Schefter is also reporting now that the league has confirmed the Seahawks violated protocol so punishment incoming!

Uncle Si

Reaction score
QuickLightning":1estlxqp said:
Uncle Si":1estlxqp said:
TwilightError":1estlxqp said:

Max penalty is a fine

Not sure where you read that. Penalties for ignoring concussion protocol for competitive reasons includes loss of draft picks.

Schefter is also reporting now that the league has confirmed the Seahawks violated protocol so punishment incoming!

Read it twice that “Seahawks could be fined up to 150k”

Also, NFL has not confirmed anything except an investigation. Certainly a punishment is coming. I’ve not read anything about “draft picks”

Reaction score
Uncle Si":sp7abodb said:
QuickLightning":sp7abodb said:
Uncle Si":sp7abodb said:
TwilightError":sp7abodb said:

Max penalty is a fine

Read it twice that “Seahawks could be fined up to 150k”

Also, NFL has not confirmed anything except an investigation. Certainly a punishment is coming. I’ve not read anything about “draft picks”

Quite a few places have reported it.

If the NFL finds that there were “aggravating circumstances” or that the protocol was ignored for the sake of competitive advantage, teams face even stiffer penalties, including the loss of draft picks.

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/11/10/166 ... n-protocol

And here's an article that mentions draft picks as part of the CBA back in 2016, when the rule was put in place.
https://www.sbnation.com/2016/7/25/1227 ... violations

ducks41468

Reaction score
irocdave":x8s8eyir said:
renofox":x8s8eyir said:
I've watched a lot of games this year and last year, and this is the first time I've seen a QB forced out of the game merely for concussion protocol, including dozens and dozens of harder hits with the QB getting up much slower than RW did. Amazing how so many extremely rare occurrences happen to the Seahawks. Just coincidence, I'm sure.

agreed. RW took a nasty shot to the the chin and looked a little woozey, but I have never seen a NFL ref order a player to the sideline like this before. If the ref thought he was concussed by the play why not throw the flag and boot the offender.?

I have had several concussions while playing HS football and in my later career. If it isnt to bad you snap out of if quickly and are pissed off for being set aside. RW did get his bell wrung, but it wasnt that bad. He knew it thats why he played along then bolted. Why wasn't the guy that put his forehead in to RW chin booted out of the game?

Exactly, it seems like this type of decision would incentivize targeting. Defender who goes helmet-to-helmet gets a mere penalty, if that, and stays in the game, while the QB, even if he's fine, gets forced out of the game by the refs and the team gets fined if he comes back in. Quite an asymmetric payoff.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
So, tons of injuries with several players done for the season, NFL focuses on procedure violation of a healthy player. OK.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":jghzz3xv said:
So, tons of injuries with several players done for the season, NFL focuses on procedure violation of a healthy player. OK.
The NFL should be HEAVILY FINED for subjecting players to unnecessary risks, forcing them to play a game with only 3 days between all out physical exertion.
Sherman pointed this out last Year....JJ Watt MIGHT have escaped injury had he been given ENOUGH TIME to recuperate between games.
I get the rea$on that the NFL doe$ the Thur$day night Game$, eh?
They are PRETENDING that they have the players best interest at heart, but doing RIGHT by them would cost them too much money.
Their FAKE CONCERNS piss me off.