NFL Turning Point - XLVIII edition

HansGruber

Reaction score
volsunghawk":n9wpg0uc said:
HansGruber":n9wpg0uc said:
Aikman wasn't dominant in his time? Are you serious??

I'm just going to assume you weren't old enough to watch the games and really follow the NFL in the 90's. I can't think of any quarterbacks who were nearly as dominant in that era. Please name one. Give me a single example of QB greatness that exceeded Aikman in the 1990s

Tell you what. I'll just respond to the part that wasn't trying to put words in my mouth about Manning.

Steve Young was far and away a better and more accomplished QB than Aikman. I know that because I watched both of them play.

More accomplished? That's hilarious.

Yeah, I'm sure Troy Aikman looks at those 3 rings on his hand and just wishes he had Young's regular season stats instead.

Let's stop talking trash and talk actual history for a minute, so we can delve into the facts instead of just throwing out random statements with no basis in reality.

In 1992, the Whiners played Dallas in the NFCCG. Steve Young threw 2 fourth quarter INTs (which were critical in Dallas' win), while Aikman was perfect and chewed up most of the second half on long efficient drives. Aikman went on to win the Superbowl and named MVP, completing 22 of 30 passes for 273 yards and four touchdowns for a passer rating of 140.6. I'd have to count that a win for Aikman no matter how you look at it.

The 93 matchup was close, both QBs played well, and I remember them having nearly identical stats. But guess who won that one? Aikman and the Cowgirls, 38-21, and they then went on to win a second consecutive Superbowl. I'm gonna have to chalk up the "accomplishment" win for Aikman yet again there.

If you recall, the 1994 Niners cheated the cap and loaded up on defense in order to beat the Cowgirls. And even with 5 turnovers in that game, Aikman brought the Cowgirls back late in the game. But hey, give credit where it's due - Young finally got his one and only Superbowl win. Score 1 for Young.

The following season, 1995, the Whiners had to unload under NFL scrutiny and guess what - Steve Young choked it up again in one of the most boring playoff games I've ever seen, against the Packers. Tthe 49ers gave up a handful of turnovers in that game, including 2 INTs by Steve Young. Those same Packers advanced and were destroyed by the Cowboys, with Aikman putting up insane yards and points on the same defense that Young managed nothing the previous game. Aikman would go on to win his 3rd Superbowl, the only QB to ever win 3 rings in 4 years while Young watched at home. Gonna have to give Aikman another check there.

So exactly how do you consider Young "more accomplished"? Oh, wait... I get it. You mean in fantasy football. Not real football. OK.

I'm glad that, by your logic, we have a likewise unaccomplished QB in Wilson. I was wondering if we'd ever win a Superbowl. I mean, yeah, it's kind of a bummer that we don't get to watch a QB throw for 500 yards a game and put up a bajillion fantasy points, but at least we're winning Superbowls like that hack Aikman and his Cowgirls who absolutely DOMINATED the NFL in the 90's. And they didn't even have to cheat the salary cap to do it.