NFL wants to ban the N-Word?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":29ozcjve said:
drdiags":29ozcjve said:
SacHawk2.0":29ozcjve said:
So, a bunch of white, authority figures in stripes is going to dictate how a mostly African American workforce talks to each other.

This is going to go over well.

I think for the salary an NFL player is paid, he can resist the urge to drop a few N-bombs until he was off the job. Cannot have it all your own way. There is this thing called compromise.

We have compromised ourselves into a lawsuit happy country that can't do, say or do anything without someone crying injustice and sueing. So it starts with the N word, then what happens when someone says i'm making you my Bitch, or your wife sure was good last night, pity I'm going to score twice on you and you can't do nothing aboutr either of them etc.

Everyone is so hung up on a person that says a bad word or has a belief or point of view thats different or doesn't want to become mainstream that they are now a target. When does it stop?

Or you can go to Arizona and see what they are proposing there, right to refuse service for sexual oreintation. Yeah were a great society.

There comes a point where you have to let stuff roll off your back. These are grown men, just as most of us at work don't like everything we work around it or leave. Can't police everything.

Next thing were going to hear is a lawsuit against the NFL denieing men the right to get in touch with their feminine side.
You ever notice it's become so big to be SAFE and have SECURITY both of which I was fine without all these years..

RedAlice

Reaction score
They are going to try and regulate the N word when they can barely figure out a PI call correctly or consistently? This is a really bad idea given how every fan of every team feels like they can't call a single thing correct for their team.

I can see the Niner' fans now: we used the N word and lost 15 yards, the Hawks or the Rams used it and didn't get called! We were robbed, we heard them say it.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
IndyHawk":f81linov said:
chris98251":f81linov said:
drdiags":f81linov said:
SacHawk2.0":f81linov said:
So, a bunch of white, authority figures in stripes is going to dictate how a mostly African American workforce talks to each other.

This is going to go over well.

I think for the salary an NFL player is paid, he can resist the urge to drop a few N-bombs until he was off the job. Cannot have it all your own way. There is this thing called compromise.

We have compromised ourselves into a lawsuit happy country that can't do, say or do anything without someone crying injustice and sueing. So it starts with the N word, then what happens when someone says i'm making you my Bitch, or your wife sure was good last night, pity I'm going to score twice on you and you can't do nothing aboutr either of them etc.

Everyone is so hung up on a person that says a bad word or has a belief or point of view thats different or doesn't want to become mainstream that they are now a target. When does it stop?

Or you can go to Arizona and see what they are proposing there, right to refuse service for sexual oreintation. Yeah were a great society.

There comes a point where you have to let stuff roll off your back. These are grown men, just as most of us at work don't like everything we work around it or leave. Can't police everything.

Next thing were going to hear is a lawsuit against the NFL denieing men the right to get in touch with their feminine side.
You ever notice it's become so big to be SAFE and have SECURITY both of which I was fine without all these years..

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom."

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Popeyejones

Reaction score
FWIW the thread title isn't accurate.

The Fritz Pollard Alliance wants the NFL to enforce a ban. As of this point the NFL doesn't want to do anything. This is John Wooten of the FPA using the media to try to push the competition committees hand to put it up for a vote to the owners.

I'm guessing the comp committee wants no part of this at all (nor should they) and will shrug it off, and defer to the NFLPA if forced to account for why they did so.

minormillikin

Reaction score
Instead of penalizing the player for using the word, how about they just announce who says it? No penalty, just a quick, "During the play, Player X used the N-Word." This would shame the player with the potty-mouth, and also give us all the warm fuzzy feeling of enlightenment that we crave.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
IMHO: Dr. Diags is close, but most of ya's are missing it. This is more about the Miami incident then the official incident.

It's about money and liability in the workplace. What happened in Miami created a 'Hostile Work Environment,' (Again, IMHO.) Once it was ascertained that Management (Coaches) were aware of this behavior, The Dolphins became liable.

Simple.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
While I think the 'n word' (don't you hate saying that?) is disrespectful and overused (the word used to be used by blacks to take away the power, now it's just used as black vernacular with no intention other than to say a word) penalizing for it is about as useful as the Browns (lol) offense.

What word I'd like to see them ban is the derogatory term for gays.

ivotuk

Reaction score
VivaEfrenHerrera":2ic6887s said:
Popeyejones":2ic6887s said:
FWIW, there's a question mark at the end of the thread title. Jeezus. :roll:

True but most people rarely see the entirety of a title. So it's still deceptive. The media is announcing it the same way only to stir up trouble and responses. So if a thread title does add a question mark, most people have already seen the media's version of it "NFL to Ban N Word!" And it's sensationalism meant to stir up emotions. Too bad it lacks accuracy.

No way the NFL follows through on this. If the Fritz Pollard Society wants to do something with the "word" start with the rappers...and good luck with that because it's protected by the constitution. In it's common use in rap and between NFL players, it is not hate speech, and you'll never get those that use it to modify their speech anymore than you could me to stop calling my best friend "asshole."

Ray Roberts has a great take on it. I'm sure there are plenty who will disagree with him and plenty who won't. I do like his perspective though.

http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_pla ... roz%20Show

Popeyejones

Reaction score
VivaEfrenHerrera":t2lw9647 said:
Popeyejones":t2lw9647 said:
FWIW, there's a question mark at the end of the thread title. Jeezus. :roll:

Point taken, but there's not even a question about the NFL wanting to do this or not at this point. No NFL representative has even talked about proposing it and as of now the NFL has no stance on it whatsoever.

So far it's simply Wooten trying to use the media to try to force the NFL's hand into legislating politics of respectability that are internal to the black community. If the (all white) NFL owners are dumb enough to get involved in that it is unfortunate IMO.

FWIW if it gets out of the competition committee I think it will pass, although I'll be shocked if it is even seriously discussed by the competition committee. Their only concern IMO is the repercussions of dealing with Wooten when they tell him that it's not their job to legislate the internal politics in black communities. It's why deferring to the NFLPA is a good "out."

More so than anything, if I ruled the world, I'd wish that Wooten would continue the focus on actually pushing the NFL along lines of equal opportunity rather than misusing the relationship for stuff like this.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Pretty pathetic that they are pulling out all the stops to ban the N word, and then pulling out all the stops to protect the name "Redskins." What a joke.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I think the N word* is a HORRIBLE word!

*Rog and company need to ban the word NINER, and stop it from ever being uttered again on an NFL field! 8)

HAWKAMANIA

Reaction score
I'm sure it's been said before on here but...
I don't like the use of the N-word, in any manner, and it's even worse when it's a non-black person saying it.
Even when my black friends use it as a term of endearment it makes me uncomfortable (especially when it's directed at me). I understand it's use among the black community and I believe they have the right to use it however they please, but even then, I wish it would disappear from their vernacular, though it never will.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Officiating NFL games is a struggle enough with out dropping this crap in their laps. It's a bad idea.

NINEster

Reaction score
They will be penalizing black players exclusively for a term used as a normal noun, no harm intended.

Where does the league come up with this stuff?

fenderbender123

Reaction score
The NFL is considering banning name-calling....NAME-CALLING! Seriously...no damages are caused by using this word. What a stupid thing to even consider.

I've said it once and I'll say it again...the fight against bad words isn't going to be won through coercing people into not saying them...it will only be won by accepting them so they lose their power. In other words...society has this whole thing backwards and is completely clueless about how bad words become bad in the first place.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
This new rule is really stupid. Not because of it's intent, of course we're all against racial slurs...........but now this is yet another arbitrary at the ref's discretion type penalty that can influence a game involving grown ass men.

This should be a fine thing, not an on the field thing.