NFL's extravagant demands for Super Bowl host cities

Jville

Reaction score
1606137440 standard 7090
Link >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/6/8/5790704/nfl-super-bowl-demands-host-cities-minneapolis[/urltargetblank]

mikeak

Reaction score
Tax excemption - I don't like

Free hotel rooms and golf courses is ridiculous. The league should ask for those to be set aside for the league but pay a fair reimbursement for those.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Direct Link to 154 page document >>>> [urltargetblank]http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/1184220-20140605190910.html#document/p1[/urltargetblank]

[urltargetblank]http://www.startribune.com/local/minneapolis/262253921.html[/urltargetblank]

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Not surprising that the NFL would also gouge local communities, given that Goodell regularly crows about how profitable the league is despite it being classified as a non-profit organization. As part of the stadium deal Santa Clara has a hotel occupancy tax (IIRC it's about a buck) that goes to the public schools, and the NFL demanded it be waived in order to award the Super Bowl (Dear Municipality: increase the league's coffers by building a new stadium for us on your dime, and then get the heck out of our face when the deal we agreed to means we'd have to give you a pittance for hosting our marquee event for us).

I'm a huge NFL fan, but ethically, I think being an NFL fan is regularly pretty difficult to reconcile.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
More reasons why I don't want Seattle to ever host a Super Bowl.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
mikeak":1x9q9343 said:

Free hotel rooms and golf courses is ridiculous. The league should ask for those to be set aside for the league but pay a fair reimbursement for those.

Free hotel rooms and golf courses?

Or, I get it now. The NFL is a drug dealing pimp. Football will always be my favorite sport, it was long before Tagliabue. But there is absolutely no reason for those kinds of demands and it just makes them look sleazy.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
The NFL must use a standard gouging for for every city. No way they really want to play golf, even if it's free, in Minneapolis in February.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Scottemojo":19xojvl5 said:
The NFL must use a standard gouging for for every city. No way they really want to play golf, even if it's free, in Minneapolis in February.

Can you say rain check for the golf? Or is it snow check? Ya...I think he is talking about later in the year for that malarky. But remember that if they start the program there, then it can build later on in a better climate. :shock:

mikeak

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":1566v7yu said:
mikeak":1566v7yu said:

Free hotel rooms and golf courses?

Or, I get it now. The NFL is a drug dealing pimp. Football will always be my favorite sport, it was long before Tagliabue. But there is absolutely no reason for those kinds of demands and it just makes them look sleazy.

Maybe I am unclear but that is what I said. They demand them to be free according to the document and that is ridiculous. They should be able to have some of those things guaranteed as in guaranteed reservations but then pay for them themselves

Latest posts