NHL Official Pro Hockey is coming to Seattle

kobebryant

Reaction score
Cyrus12":2vwggsiu said:
Although you guys will likely be disappointed with the NHL style of play

I gotta disagree there - the game is a faster and more skilled than it has ever been. Do you remember the mid-90s clutching and grabbing? That style was a tough watch. Nowadays there's room for highly talented young guys to have big time success early even if they are a little light - guys like Gaudreau, Pettersson, and Point - wouldn't find nearly as much immediate success in the past.

If you can't skate and aren't highly skilled there isn't much room left in the NHL for you. Guys like Lucic, or the Hatcher brothers from years gone by are a thing of the past. You can't afford to waste a roster spot anymore on a Brashear or Paros.

Not to mention 3-on-3 overtime is the most exciting 5 minutes in the regular season of any sport.

Though yes, I do agree with your point that the expansion rules are very very favorable to the new team becoming very competitive immediately.

Msfann

Reaction score
Nice! I'm glad we're finally getting a team. I have a few choice words for the NBA but I'll save that for another thread. Let's celebrate!

OP
OP
Sox-n-Hawks

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
We could always name it after the one thing you smell everywhere you go in Seattle... The Seattle Stoners.

BubbaGump

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":fan3djjh said:
My Preference:

1. Rainiers
2. Sea Lions
3. Totems

Seriously! A team with their own BEER! Rain-beer Right here!
Im down with the Rainiers. I remember a Rainier commercial years ago with a motorcycle sounding like Raiiiiiiii-Nierrrrrrrrr-Beeeeeeeeeerrrrrrr!! As it passed you by. Classic!

OP
OP
Sox-n-Hawks

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
BubbaGump":2ywkhx3y said:
Sox-n-Hawks":2ywkhx3y said:
My Preference:

1. Rainiers
2. Sea Lions
3. Totems

Seriously! A team with their own BEER! Rain-beer Right here!
Im down with the Rainiers. I remember a Rainier commercial years ago with a motorcycle sounding like Raiiiiiiii-Nierrrrrrrrr-Beeeeeeeeeerrrrrrr!! As it passed you by. Classic!

[youtube]AKFmc0oZXFI[/youtube]

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Can we please not name our new team after some accomplishment our grandparents or great-grandparents don't even remember? It's really an awful old cringey name. What the heck is a metropolitan?

I think of our buses.

Bus620 620x370

And I hate our buses.

PS In the news conference today Bettman already mentioned the old Metro name probably shouldn't be used, as their is already a division called Metropolitans in the NHL. Or something along those lines.

silverandgold

Reaction score
Sweet! I would love the team to be called the "Seattle Seals". There is a Seal colony in Seattle and since there are maritime animals in other team names (i.e. Penguins, Sharks, Ducks, etc) I think a hockey team named after the marine mammals that love to do tricks in aquarium shows would be neat.

rjdriver

Reaction score
So stoked for this.

Teams should have names that end with the letter S.

I hate names like thunder and lightning and what not.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":rggp6yi1 said:
PS In the news conference today Bettman already mentioned the old Metro name probably shouldn't be used, as their is already a division called Metropolitans in the NHL. Or something along those lines.

No one should have any warm and fuzzy feelings towards a name that existed 100 years ago, especially one as old and antiquated sounding as the Metropolitans.

Couldn't even call them the Mets for short.

KK84

Reaction score
silverandgold":1bu9nfgn said:
Sweet! I would love the team to be called the "Seattle Seals". There is a Seal colony in Seattle and since there are maritime animals in other team names (i.e. Penguins, Sharks, Ducks, etc) I think a hockey team named after the marine mammals that love to do tricks in aquarium shows would be neat.

Only problem with this is there has already been a seals in the NHL, The California Seals, who eventually relocated and merged their way into the present day Dallas Stars.

KK84

Reaction score
Cyrus12":38fwgpuw said:
Although you guys will likely be disappointed with the NHL style of play and officiating..congrats! The NHL likes to push the new teams into the playoffs and beyond so guessing you may have a good chance at a cup within 5 years.

Completely disagree with this. Although I think the league is trying a little too hard to legislate fighting out of the game, the actual skill level and speed of the game has never been as high as it is now. As for the officiating, it can be terrible, but really no different than every single other sports league out there. It's not even close to PAC 12 football bad for instance. Yes, the expansion draft rules are very generous, but to be honest Vegas had a lot of things go right for them and a lot of absolute stupidity by panicky GMs across the league that led to their success. I would not count on them repeating those mistakes. Expect middle of the road results the first couple years, maybe competing for a playoff spot at the absolute best.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":jxiv84ci said:
We could always name it after the one thing you smell everywhere you go in Seattle... The Seattle Stoners.
I like it..... among those lines the Seattle “Green”. 8)

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
KK84":1vl9ev55 said:
Cyrus12":1vl9ev55 said:
Although you guys will likely be disappointed with the NHL style of play and officiating..congrats! The NHL likes to push the new teams into the playoffs and beyond so guessing you may have a good chance at a cup within 5 years.

Completely disagree with this. Although I think the league is trying a little too hard to legislate fighting out of the game, the actual skill level and speed of the game has never been as high as it is now. As for the officiating, it can be terrible, but really no different than every single other sports league out there. It's not even close to PAC 12 football bad for instance. Yes, the expansion draft rules are very generous, but to be honest Vegas had a lot of things go right for them and a lot of absolute stupidity by panicky GMs across the league that led to their success. I would not count on them repeating those mistakes. Expect middle of the road results the first couple years, maybe competing for a playoff spot at the absolute best.
I root for the UW (Pac-12) and the Hawks (NFL), so the officiating in the NHL cannot be worse than those 2 leagues in a game in game out basis.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Any of you regular NHL fans know of a good NHL forum???

Your suggestions would be appreciated. :)

Bobblehead

Reaction score
How about the Rhodies

You can make a very cool Rhodie emblem.
It's easy to say, I think sounds good, unique, and native.

KK84

Reaction score
OP
OP
Sox-n-Hawks

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
KK84":3e1ztb2m said:
kobebryant":3e1ztb2m said:
Sports Hernia":3e1ztb2m said:
Any of you regular NHL fans know of a good NHL forum???

Your suggestions would be appreciated. :)

The HF boards are very active: https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/ ... n.2577635/

This, I haven't found anything else even close. They even got a Seattle sub forum up within hours of the announcement this morning. Highly recommend.

Some of the name ideas are Hilarious

Latest posts