Nice Mini-Camp report from Clayton

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":3h5ch91i said:
Jerhawk":3h5ch91i said:
chris98251":3h5ch91i said:
rideaducati":3h5ch91i said:
Boykin looking so good that Tarvaris might not be re-signed? AWESOME!

Curb your enthusiasm, Johns evaluation of the QB position before Pads are on should be tempered, when they can actually start using real speed in practice and then that stepped up speed in games we will see more.

There must be some reason he's still on the roster and tarvaris isn't. Cap space perhaps. And keeping him over Vernon Adams. I'm just saying, there's something good he's shown the coaches so far

Who is Vernon Adams?

Future star of the Montreal Alouettes

rideaducati

Reaction score
chris98251":l32ne8bf said:
rideaducati":l32ne8bf said:

Curb your enthusiasm, Johns evaluation of the QB position before Pads are on should be tempered, when they can actually start using real speed in practice and then that stepped up speed in games we will see more.

I still don't see there being much of a possibility that Boykin is worse than Tarvaris.

chris98251

Reaction score
rideaducati":3tirbnxx said:
chris98251":3tirbnxx said:
rideaducati":3tirbnxx said:

I still don't see there being much of a possibility that Boykin is worse than Tarvaris.

I imagine that's like us not seeing a difference in a Ducati over a Honda or Yamaha.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
chris98251":35fxn4vd said:
rideaducati":35fxn4vd said:
chris98251":35fxn4vd said:
rideaducati":35fxn4vd said:

I imagine that's like us not seeing a difference in a Ducati over a Honda or Yamaha.
Chris, the point is he is far cheaper. Why pay a coin flipper 1-2 million when you have cheaper options that are at least the same and likely far better if given a chance in an actual game?

Economics, honey they are what the entire world runs on and they are a Queen Bitch.

Then again I have hated TJack from day one. He flat sucks end of story. PoS getting paid millions to be a coin flip chooser. Bite me, it's ridiculous and stupid.

chris98251

Reaction score
While Russell has matured to the point of not needing TJack as a Mentor and such the rest of the offense works well thru him when needed, I agree with Money as far as dollar for game day production but there is so much more involved, opposition breakdown etc. If Boykin can get up to speed and I have heard he is a smart guy and quick study that's great.

Oh what do you want bitten :)

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
chris98251":149nlbm2 said:
While Russell has matured to the point of not needing TJack as a Mentor and such the rest of the offense works well thru him when needed, I agree with Money as far as dollar for game day production but there is so much more involved, opposition breakdown etc. If Boykin can get up to speed and I have heard he is a smart guy and quick study that's great.

I'm willing to be bitten Chris I saw that loser take a 10-6 team that was playoff level to 7-9 and I'm sorry, "I suck dick" in 2011 like he meant to do so. The thing is I'm Malcolm in Middle. I'm not a 38er but I'm not a 2012 fan. I'm a fan of 1990's. The years when we actually almost lost my team. We sucked bad but Tez was ridiculous good.

chris98251

Reaction score
Play wise he makes decisions to slow and has to much of as a slow delivery as well to run what were running now, I think that's why we keep trying to find his replacement, Boykin has the resume to do that. It is a matter how fast he gets up to speed.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
chris98251":3h3833ou said:
Play wise he makes decisions to slow and has to much of as a slow delivery as well to run what were running now, I think that's why we keep trying to find his replacement, Boykin has the resume to do that. It is a matter how fast he gets up to speed.
Exactly. He was too slow in Holmgren's offense let alone Pete's. Quit the bullshit and sign an actual backup similar to Russ that has the skillet to maybe run our our offense without Russ.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3v6j3nzp said:
chris98251":3v6j3nzp said:

I'm willing to be bitten Chris I saw that loser take a 10-6 team that was playoff level to 7-9 and I'm sorry, "I suck dick" in 2011 like he meant to do so. The thing is I'm Malcolm in Middle. I'm not a 38er but I'm not a 2012 fan. I'm a fan of 1990's. The years when we actually almost lost my team. We sucked bad but Tez was ridiculous good.
Tarvaris was actually .500 as a starter in '11. Clipboard J went 0-2.
I still expect Tarvaris to be our backup next year. At 33, this is likely the last chance Tarvaris could compete for a starting gig, so I envision the dominoes start falling into place once the Jets resolve their issues with Fitzpatrick. Also, have you ever noticed that most veteran backups make around $4 million a year now and Tarvaris just drew $1.5 million last year? Why not wait it out and see if an injury could elevate him into that kind of payday? If the offers are comparable, Tarvaris will be back with the Hawks in a heartbeat; but if the difference is in the neighborhood of $2.5 million, it's heard to begrudge the guy for following the money. I hope he remains a Hawk because he's a known commodity. Let's see how Boykin handles himself in pads and preseason games, save him on the practice squad for a year and let him develop.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":291dagav said:
MizzouHawkGal":291dagav said:
chris98251":291dagav said:

I still expect Tarvaris to be our backup next year. At 33, this is likely the last chance Tarvaris could compete for a starting gig, so I envision the dominoes start falling into place once the Jets resolve their issues with Fitzpatrick. Also, have you ever noticed that most veteran backups make around $4 million a year now and Tarvaris just drew $1.5 million last year? Why not wait it out and see if an injury could elevate him into that kind of payday? If the offers are comparable, Tarvaris will be back with the Hawks in a heartbeat; but if the difference is in the neighborhood of $2.5 million, it's heard to begrudge the guy for following the money. I hope he remains a Hawk because he's a known commodity. Let's see how Boykin handles himself in pads and preseason games, save him on the practice squad for a year and let him develop.
You have good points but I disagree. It's OK if TJ is back.....again but please no. Hell give me the job I suck at quarterback and flip coins pretty well.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":qnjslfzl said:
Siouxhawk":qnjslfzl said:
MizzouHawkGal":qnjslfzl said:
chris98251":qnjslfzl said:

You have good points but I disagree. It's OK if TJ is back.....again but please no. Hell give me the job I suck at quarterback and flip coins pretty well.
We have our own opinions. I just believe having him as an insurance policy gives the Hawks a better chance to handle some adversity. Plus we get to keep Boykin and develop our next guy to weather some adversity. And T-Jack does quite a bit more than flip coins.

Largent80

Reaction score
Pretty encouraging article. Nothing negative.

Britt to me, needs to do a LOT to be the starting center however.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Largent80":1sg4ves7 said:

This. I'm still not 100% sold on Britt.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I had a hunch that Vannett would outperform expectations. Hoping it keeps happening - this is just mini-camp so far.

Clark and Reed have me excited about the DL again...Rawls and Graham coming back is great...the praise for Britt sounded a bit faint, but it could have been absent, so there's that. We also really needed Simon to figure it out.

Noticeably gone was any mention of Paul Richardson...

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
OkieHawk":3exb9srf said:
Largent80":3exb9srf said:

This. I'm still not 100% sold on Britt.
+2
Remember, Nowack was pumped up by Cable last Spring and we saw how that worked out. At least Britt has 2 years of NFL experience under his belt.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":31rpshc8 said:
I had a hunch that Vannett would outperform expectations. Hoping it keeps happening - this is just mini-camp so far.

I did as well.

Intrigued in that Carroll is really echoing much of the same types of comments about Vannett that he did about Lockett last year. While I didn't see Vannett creating a ton of separation, he seemed to run smart routes and had very good body control where he could box out defenders to create open target lanes.

I felt at draft time that he was a guy who just didn't have the number of opportunties due to surrounding talents. He shined in the all star games which I felt was important for him.

Seemed to be a smart/savvy TE, not a raw athlete with insane upside potential. Was surprised we went TE -- but also figured Vannett would be gone by the late third. I remember nodding approvingly when I heard he was the pick. And the fact that Carroll is singling him out that he's showing more than expected to me means a great deal. We've had a lot of success with those kinds of surprise rookies.