Nick Mullens should have gotten that Game Ball

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Hard for anyone to do anything if your not playing his side.. It's what everyone said about him, when he played here..So in reality, he did win.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I certainly wouldn't hand Janene Garofolo the starting gig next year. Make him compete. Mullens has something.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2yv9sya1 said:
What is your honest opinion of Jimmy G? Overhyped or do you think he will be very good? Obviously you watch it way closer than we do.
I just rewatched all of Jimmy G's stuff to remind me in order to put Mullens' performance into perspective.

Mullens has been good. Jimmy G is a better quarterback. Assuming he is healthy, even if there were an open competition, Jimmy G would win it. However, it is much closer than I could have thought. What Jimmy G brings that Mullens really doesn't is this sort of thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyM8hxeUteM&t=6m59s

However, Mullens can and has thrown accurately under pressure. The difference is Jimmy G has a bit of a quicker release and can throw better from awkward angles. Otherwise, the differences aren't that much, which surprises me. But Mullens has a large sack, something Beathard lacks. Yeah, Beathard will take a hit, but he won't take a chance. Nor does he react quickly. Both Jimmy G and Mullens do.

So, the 49ers ought to keep Jimmy G and Mullens, and if Jimmy G isn't ready to play, or gets hurt again (seems to be a pattern), the 49ers will have competent QB play. If Jimmy G gets injured again and Mullens gets better playing for him, then releasing Jimmy G will be a 4 million cap hit after 2019.

In short, the 49ers will have competent play at QB no matter what next year, so long as they don't stupidly trade Mullens before we even know if Jimmy G is recovered. But they won't, because Jimmy G won't be cap-friendly expendable until after 2019. Keeping both is a win-win, so I anticipate Beathard being the odd man out. Competent young QBs don't depreciate in value much, so trading Mullens this off-season or next would be fine, or cutting Jimmy G after 2019, depending on injury situations and performance.

94Smith

Reaction score
Bottom line to why the 49ers are 4-10 this year is turnovers. Qb play for the most part has been ok. They are at historic low levels for INTs and fumbles recovered. Defensive yardage is ok, offense is ok.