Niners screwed up

Reaneypark

Reaction score
What were they thinking on their last possession? Three straight passes? At that point, you thank Pete for punting and you run out the clock and get the tie and remain a game and a half up on everyone. The L they took tonight could really come back to screw them over in playoff seeding so much more than a tie.

As a Seahawks fan, I’ll take it! But I thought that was a really dumb move by them.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Herm Edwards disagrees.

I do too, respectfully. Yes, hindsight being what it is, a tie is better than a loss, but you can’t tell your QB, I don’t trust you to move the ball half way down the feel and put us in FG range. You just had a kicker make a clutch kick from distance to send the game into overtime, your team has battled all game, you have the best D in the NFL, you’re at home. I think you lose the confidence of your team by giving up and taking the tie. If the roles were revered and Russ had a first and 10 in the same situation, I would be livid if Pete told him to take a knee and secure the tie.

But technically yes, knowing the outcome, the Niners would have better with a tie versus a loss.

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
rjdriver":13mdfvlg said:
Herm Edwards disagrees.

You play to win the game. Great adjustments and stand made by our D. Let alone amazing play by Griffin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Reaneypark":155388cx said:
What were they thinking on their last possession? Three straight passes? At that point, you thank Pete for punting and you run out the clock and get the tie and remain a game and a half up on everyone. The L they took tonight could really come back to screw them over in playoff seeding so much more than a tie.

As a Seahawks fan, I’ll take it! But I thought that was a really dumb move by them.

I think at 8-0, and at home, you go for it.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Reaneypark":pfuwutec said:

They made the mistake of thinking Jimmy Jeepers could win the game for them without Kittle or Sanders. Watching Jimmy practically crap his pants in crunch time made me oh-so-glad we have a supremely clutch QB in Russ.

OP
OP
Reaneypark

Reaneypark

Reaction score
rjdriver":e0pkt46t said:
Herm Edwards disagrees.

I do too, respectfully. Yes, hindsight being what it is, a tie is better than a loss, but you can’t tell your QB, I don’t trust you to move the ball half way down the feel and put us in FG range. You just had a kicker make a clutch kick from distance to send the game into overtime, your team has battled all game, you have the best D in the NFL, you’re at home. I think you lose the confidence of your team by giving up and taking the tie. If the roles were revered and Russ had a first and 10 in the same situation, I would be livid if Pete told him to take a knee and secure the tie.

But technically yes, knowing the outcome, the Niners would have better with a tie versus a loss.

Yeah, I get it. But if you tell your team that you care that they get the bye week and homefield in the playoffs, then you could get them back. Also, what was Pete telling Russ when he punted on 4th and 2? I don’t want to argue, I just think that it’s more important to look big picture.

THE TABS

Reaction score
If KS sits on the ball there, it sends a bad message to his team. You go for a win; you don’t settle for a tie.

He put his faith in his guys, and this time, it didn’t work out.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
They had a genuine chance to win the game, a FG after being down could have provided a very comfortable 3 game lead going into a nasty little part of their schedule. ShanaSpawn believes his defense is Super-Duty so in his eyes there is no risk. He will eventually accept the Wilson factor, it might be mid-season of 2020 but he will eventually.

HawkerD

Reaction score
Reaneypark":1f6zsrrs said:

Pure hindsight. Maybe after the first INC run one time but play for the Tie????????? You are watching too much Sounders dude.

Washington49er

Reaction score
HawkerD":1z5j1gi8 said:
Reaneypark":1z5j1gi8 said:

Pure hindsight. Maybe after the first INC run one time but play for the Tie????????? You are watching too much Sounders dude.

The mistake was not going for it on 4th down when the spot was not overturned and leaving it up to a rookie off the street to win it.

chris98251

Reaction score
I would have to agree, not getting the spot, your at home, have on paper the best rushing offense in the league and don't go for the win.

Washington49er

Reaction score
chris98251":2bypyj12 said:
I would have to agree, not getting the spot, your at home, have on paper the best rushing offense in the league and don't go for the win.

Huge difference between hitting 3 FGs earlier and hitting the game winner. I knew as soon as PC called a TO to ice the kicker he would miss.

A lot of different things brought the game to that situation, injuries, drops, blah, blah, blah. At that point the only person to blame is KS. I think the percentage rate of success for going for it on 4th down vs kicking that FG is much higher. If it were successful you get a chance to get it closer or score a TD. And if no score you atleast burn clock.

This IMHO brings up the question, especially after watching the Atlanta SB and now this game, does KS have the killer instinct?

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. The 49ers were not going to get another possession after that one. I'm not saying they should have taken a knee and not tried for the win, but they called 3 very low % passes in a row. A more balanced approach would have been better. There is no need for every play to gain them 10-20 yards when there is that much time left. Call a run or a short high % pass on first or second down. The last thing you want to do is give the other team the ball back with enough time to win.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
They should have gone for the 4th and inches to kill the clock. At best it would have gotten them a TD, second best it would have been a chippie for their rookie kicker, and their worst case would have been a tie as the game hit 00.

sc85sis

Reaction score
If Pete had gone for it on 4th and 2 and we didn’t get it, that’s likely game over. He’d be crucified in the media and by fans for giving the ‘9ers great field position where they could much more easily get within FG range.

He trusted his team to get the ball back and give Russ the chance to do his thing.

Rat

Reaction score
I agree that we got a bit fortunate with the Niners playcalling on that drive.

Even though it worked out, I think Pete absolutely made the wrong decision by punting in OT, and I would hope in a similar situation, he wouldn't do the same thing. The Niners were two games up on us in the division; a tie would have been a lot better for them than for us. With 1:50 left and one timeout, the Niners would have needed to play with some urgency to get in position to win, but they had enough time to still run a balanced offense that could have taken some time off the clock while still giving them a chance at the W. In that situation, especially since we were out of timeouts, you have to figure the Niners would run AT LEAST half that remaining 1:50 off. I think there was a much better chance of picking up those two yards on fourth down with the NFL's best quarterback than punting, stopping them with a defense that has not been extraordinary, and getting the ball back with enough time to have a legitimate shot at pulling off the win. The Niners screwed up by calling all those low percentage passes though.

I'm glad it worked out and we got the win, but I don't believe Pete played the latter part of OT intelligently.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Washington49er":1kf0k6h1 said:
HawkerD":1kf0k6h1 said:
Reaneypark":1kf0k6h1 said:

The mistake was not going for it on 4th down when the spot was not overturned and leaving it up to a rookie off the street to win it.
That "Rookie Off The Street" was clutch in tying the score to keep them in the game; the distance of the kick in OT wasn't really all that different that the one that he made to get them into the OT.....the 9rs vaunted Defense let Wilson drive down field, into range for Myers (who missed THREE KICKS last week), Pete Carroll showed confidence in the lad, & he came up solid this time around.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Rat":3n7ytp8y said:
I agree that we got a bit fortunate with the Niners playcalling on that drive.

Even though it worked out, I think Pete absolutely made the wrong decision by punting in OT, and I would hope in a similar situation, he wouldn't do the same thing. The Niners were two games up on us in the division; a tie would have been a lot better for them than for us. With 1:50 left and one timeout, the Niners would have needed to play with some urgency to get in position to win, but they had enough time to still run a balanced offense that could have taken some time off the clock while still giving them a chance at the W. In that situation, especially since we were out of timeouts, you have to figure the Niners would run AT LEAST half that remaining 1:50 off. I think there was a much better chance of picking up those two yards on fourth down with the NFL's best quarterback than punting, stopping them with a defense that has not been extraordinary, and getting the ball back with enough time to have a legitimate shot at pulling off the win. The Niners screwed up by calling all those low percentage passes though.

I'm glad it worked out and we got the win, but I don't believe Pete played the latter part of OT intelligently.

Exactly. It's as if the coaches didn't do any homework on whom a tie would benefit.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Reaneypark":1je2rlbi said:

They were trying to win the game.

It's why Prisco's an idiot. In what world is it smart to completely ruin your franchise QB's confidence and send a message to your team that you don't believe in them to go down the field and win the game?

How do you think that would go over in the lockerroom and with Niner Nation? You play the game to WIN, any other notion is defeatist and would completely implode your lockerroom.

Latest posts