Niners screwed up

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Hard to believe some are now trying to frame this as "Pete screwed up & didn't do his homework but got lucky that the other coach was even worse".

I guess nothing should surprise me by now.

sutz

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":j5g7jhor said:
Hard to believe some are now trying to frame this as "Pete screwed up & didn't do his homework but got lucky that the other coach was even worse".

I don't think I've ever seen a game that didn't have one of those shoulda, coulda, woulda moments, win or lose. SB 48 might be an exception, pretty much everything we tried worked that day. The eternal second guessing is why I came up with the "nice win, but" label for a lot of posters around here. ;)

Rat

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":3od6wys7 said:

This is greatly exaggerated and not what anyone is suggesting.

Nobody can control every aspect of a game, so most wins have an element of luck. Heck, if McLaughlin makes that kick for the Niners in OT, we lose the game and Pete and his staff are left wondering what they could have done differently. Were we fortunate they missed that kick? Yes, but that does not mean we were undeserving winners either. On that same thread, we were probably fortunate that Kyle Shanahan called that last drive the way he did. He had the time to run a balanced offense or call higher percentage passes that could have put them in a position to win while also running clock and protecting the tie, which would have been a much better result for them than us. Again, that doesn't mean that we only won based on luck or that we were somehow undeserving.

I never said that Pete is a bad coach or anything like that. When we had a 4th and 2 in OT (and no timeouts) with 1:50 remaining, we had two options. I believe Pete made the choice that had a lower probability of ultimately leading to a Seahawks victory. Fortunately, less probable doesn't mean impossible. The team won. Awesome. However, I hope in the game study and breakdown, Pete strongly considers whether he should make the same decision if he ends up in a similar situation in a future game. I hope he has that discussion with his staff about a lot of what he does every week, win or lose.

People can call it second-guessing or whatever, but personally, I really enjoy the game analysis. If occasionally questioning the decisions made by the people in charge makes me less of a fan, so be it. That's how I like to watch the games.