Niners will have a Rams-level jump next year

Jville

Reaction score
Fortyniners fixed their cultural problem. :2thumbs:

Thanks Pete. Competition in the NFC West is better off for it.

chris98251

Reaction score
What the 49ers did was due to guys taking over and making changes to the players to instill a urgency and Hunger that had been missing due to past success and riding on the Harbaugh coat tails, York hit gold with Lynch as a no nonsense guy who knows football and is aggressive. We will have to see if they continue the acquisitions that continue to push them higher. Grappallo is a Matty Ice type QB that makes good decisions and is only going to get better I think with opportunity.

Saying that, we are suffering some of the hangover as well from past glory, we need that chip and hunger again here and I am not just talking players.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Man if they draft Barkley, and sign Jimmy Graham/WR they could really make some noise on offense.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":1bqkfhz3 said:
Man if they draft Barkley, and sign Jimmy Graham/WR they could really make some noise on offense.

Wanna know whats crazy?

WITHOUT those guys...

YARDS PER GAME
Before Garoppolo: 321.7 (21st in NFL)
After Garoppolo: 410.0 (1st in NFL*)
Total: 349.3 (12th in NFL)

NET PASSING PER GAME
Before Garoppolo: 221.8 (17th in NFL)
After Garoppolo: 297.0 (1st in NFL*)
Total: 245.3 (9th in NFL)

THIRD DOWNS
Before Garoppolo: 34.1 percent (26th in NFL)
After Garoppolo: 50.0 percent (1st in NFL*)
Total: 38.9 percent (16th in NFL)

COMPLETION PERCENTAGE
Before Garoppolo: 56.6 percent (31st in NFL)
After Garoppolo: 67.0 percent (3rd in NFL*)
Total: 59.6 percent (25th in NFL)

SACKS ALLOWED
Before Garoppolo: 35 (tied for 6th most in NFL)
After Garoppolo: 8 (27th most in NFL*)
Total: 43 (tied for 11th most in NFL)

TIME OF POSSESSION
Before Garoppolo: 27:36 (31st in NFL)
After Garoppolo: 32:54 (1st in NFL*)
Total: 28:44 (26th in NFL)

POINTS PER GAME
Before Garoppolo: 17.0 (28th in NFL)
After Garoppolo: 28.8 (2nd in NFL*)
Total: 20.9 (20th in NFL)

Give Jimmy more protection and playmakers? Yes please.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Marvin49":1h0oz3b3 said:

The nice thing about offensive lineman is that they're individual players that make RBs, WRs, and QBs all look better than they are.

For my money on the offensive side of the ball, I'm much less interested in skill position players (beyond QB) than I am securing the interior line (and even having a succession plan in place for Staley).

Furthering this stance is that JGQ is the real golden nugget in all of this, and although sack rates dramatically dropped when he came in because of what he's good at and what Beathard's bad at, he was still really getting smacked around due to the 9ers deficiencies on offensive line. Part of that was the turnstile life that Beadles lives which won't be a problem next year with Brown coming back, but Fusco, Kilgore, and Tomlinson aren't going to cut it either.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2x7l3pz6 said:
Marvin49":2x7l3pz6 said:

The nice thing about offensive lineman is that they're individual players that make RBs, WRs, and QBs all look better than they are.

For my money on the offensive side of the ball, I'm much less interested in skill position players (beyond QB) than I am securing the interior line (and even having a succession plan in place for Staley).

Furthering this stance is that JGQ is the real golden nugget in all of this, and although sack rates dramatically dropped when he came in because of what he's good at and what Beathard's bad at, he was still really getting smacked around due to the 9ers deficiencies on offensive line. Part of that was the turnstile life that Beadles lives which won't be a problem next year with Brown coming back, but Fusco, Kilgore, and Tomlinson aren't going to cut it either.

I'd love to see Saquon in SF, but I agree that interior line and pass rusher are the teams biggest needs. That interior line keeps Jimmy healthy though so I'd say that priority #1.

As for the personnel there, I'm interested to see what Garnett looks like next year after reshaping his body all season. I also would like to see them keep Tomlinson for depth.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I know you want to say it...so I will...

Green Bay.....Rodgers to Rodgers

Seattle ..........Wilson to Willson

SF ............JimmyG to JimmyG.........

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Marvin49" I'd love to see Saquon in SF said:
100% agreed on both Garnett and Tomlinson.

And I'm seriously not opposed to targeting Barkley (if he's there) with that pick.

In my ideal scenario they're primarily attacking O-Line through free agency where they're spending real money on a center and a guard, and then bringing Fusco back and letting Garnett, Fusco, and Tomlinson compete for the second starting guard spot (Fusco as backup center still).

Offensive line is just a mess to evaluate at the college level these days, so I'd much rather they take the free-agency-for-assurances and late-in-the-draft-for-diamonds-in-the-rough approach to that position group, and hope they stumble onto another Trent Brown type while relying on average-to-above-average lineman with less upside in FA.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":1x30dxsi said:
I know you want to say it...so I will...

Green Bay.....Rodgers to Rodgers

Seattle ..........Wilson to Willson

SF ............JimmyG to JimmyG.........

LOL.

Yeah, There is a bay area radio host who was selling that too.

I'd live to see them sign him but don't know how realistic it is.

1) He's 31 and they may be looking for younger guys...although that didn't stop them with Garcon. Then again, Garcon had history with Kyle.

2) The Niners like their young TEs in Kittle and Garett, Kittle especially. That guy really started to look good late. Then again, none of those guys provide a 6'8" redzone target and the redzone was one of their weaknesses.

There are a lot of graphics online that talk about how Jimmy "only" threw 7 TDs this season, but he moved that team better than any offense in the NFL over the last 5 weeks. They just couldn't punch it in because they didn't really have a redzone presence. Their top targets were 5'9" and 5'8" respectively. Thats also why Gould set a record by kicking 15 field goals in 3 weeks. They kept moving the ball down the field, but couldn't punch it in.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Marvin49":2pj48fg8 said:
There are a lot of graphics online that talk about how Jimmy "only" threw 7 TDs this season, but he moved that team better than any offense in the NFL over the last 5 weeks. They just couldn't punch it in because they didn't really have a redzone presence. Their top targets were 5'9" and 5'8" respectively. Thats also why Gould set a record by kicking 15 field goals in 3 weeks. They kept moving the ball down the field, but couldn't punch it in.

In order of importance I'd say that was:

(1) small sample size and random variance (the general rule that over time teams that are good between the 20s are also good inside the 20s).

(2) The lack of interior line push and overall lack of quality in the run game (which really does matter more when you're inside the 10)

(3) The lack of a big redzone target for the old back-corner fade into the endzone play. Ya know, the play that we as football fans love to hate whenever our team calls it and it doesn't work, but then clamor for when we insist our team needs a big guy for the red zone. ;)

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
I don't hate the niners. Really nobody team to me in sense of "hate". The rivalry was fun for the harbaugh/Pete years.

Jville

Reaction score
Jville":2ts9untq said:
Fortyniners fixed their cultural problem. :2thumbs:

Thanks Pete. Competition in the NFC West is better off for it.

The testaments about Pete's culture keep rolling in ......

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JoshDubowAP/status/950507572716425216[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Eric_Branch/status/950507739762982912[/tweet]