No Earl Thomas, no problem: Seahawks have top safety tandem

sutz

Reaction score
toffee":ydm7wm5z said:
SpokaneHawks":ydm7wm5z said:
It's still early in the season but what these stats and the current product on the field show me is that our defense's success has more to do with the system than the players. It looks to me like our "system" creates stars not the other way around! It's too bad some of our stars didnt see it that way.

If one would to review ex-hawks defense stars, most were low round picks, castoffs, or un-drafted, these guys excelled with Hawks. Earl being an exception. Our current defense lineup? I saw a few low rounders, castoffs, and un-drafted.
Well, one of the reasons, remember, is that players like Sherm were "too big" to play corner. It was felt that players his size could not be agile enough to keep up with WRs in the league. Meanwhile WRs kept getting bigger and bigger when the average DB around the league hovered around 5'10"-6'0". Sherm and Browner were a bit of an anomaly for their time.

But the scheme helps them by encouraging them to be more physical, and play more press where they can bump the WR and disrupt their patterns. They play on the edge of being illegal when it comes to contact, but they have to. It works, though they get maybe more penalties than other secondaries.

Now, the rest of the league is catching up and everybody is looking for tall, long armed CBs. Players like Sherm are not necessarily dropping to the 5th round as often.

xray

Reaction score
Out with the old &in with the new....that's pro sports and life too..IMO :irishdrinkers:

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
sutz":y9si2rhq said:
toffee":y9si2rhq said:
SpokaneHawks":y9si2rhq said:
It's still early in the season but what these stats and the current product on the field show me is that our defense's success has more to do with the system than the players. It looks to me like our "system" creates stars not the other way around! It's too bad some of our stars didnt see it that way.

If one would to review ex-hawks defense stars, most were low round picks, castoffs, or un-drafted, these guys excelled with Hawks. Earl being an exception. Our current defense lineup? I saw a few low rounders, castoffs, and un-drafted.
Well, one of the reasons, remember, is that players like Sherm were "too big" to play corner. It was felt that players his size could not be agile enough to keep up with WRs in the league. Meanwhile WRs kept getting bigger and bigger when the average DB around the league hovered around 5'10"-6'0". Sherm and Browner were a bit of an anomaly for their time.

But the scheme helps them by encouraging them to be more physical, and play more press where they can bump the WR and disrupt their patterns. They play on the edge of being illegal when it comes to contact, but they have to. It works, though they get maybe more penalties than other secondaries.

Now, the rest of the league is catching up and everybody is looking for tall, long armed CBs. Players like Sherm are not necessarily dropping to the 5th round as often.

I am liking our LOB V2, btw, bye bye Earl.

The Breh

Reaction score
Seymour":2mehq6rd said:
chris98251":2mehq6rd said:
Ok show me the team that has shut down the Rams since they started to roll.

Since last season the Rams have been held under 20 points just 3 times.

Seattle held them to 16
Minnesota held them to 7
SF held them to 13 and destroyed them 34-13

Pretty much it.
That last one is the game from last year when the Rams Sat EVERYDAMNBODY.
9'ers couldn't dream that up on their healthiest day.
Maybe in 2011. Maybe.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
We have Tre and Tedric, both new and unproven. Wondering if the opposing OCs will test them?

Seafan

Reaction score
Seymour":2tujfz9t said:
MontanaHawk05":2tujfz9t said:
This is better than I expected, but they're not there yet. Giving up 33 points to the Rams at home is a problem.

Is it?
They gave up 42 with Earl and Maxwell (LOB members) late last season, so I'm not so sure about that.

This.

I wasn't excited by all the zone defense. The Hawks had a lot of mistakes in all three phases and coaching/clock management. Any one of which could have been the difference in 2 point loss to likely the best team in the league.

The difference between last year and this year is clear. This team is competitive. The Hawks were a joke last year and not entertaining.

The Hawks knew what they have in Tedric, that's why they were comfortable in waiting Earl out.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Every game Tedric plays its seems Earl's price is going down. By the end of the season, ET3 might have to sell that Bentley to by some food for the family as people will recognize that most of the LOB's success was Pete's deft touch training and scheming DB's.

LOB Next Gen is in the house and I'm excited to see how they hold up to Stafford, Rivers and Rodgers in upcoming weeks.