No Fans? No Football.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Appyhawk":1wjb5jyt said:
Hey Seed, ( :lol:) #4..."4 Die hards simply say screw it, i am going. I might wear a mask, or not. Hawk football is more important than the chance of exposure."
The "Die hards" part of that might not be so accurate considering "the chance of exposure".

I wondered if someone would catch my little play on words there. :2thumbs:

Jerhawk

Reaction score
There's a way that they can televise the event and make it watchable.

If they can have their little yellow first down line, then they (TV broadcasts) can have CGI fans in the stands to make it look full. Pipe in some crowd noise. It'll take some getting used to, but it'll make it watchable on TV.

They could always limit seating to 50% or whatever. It'll all work out.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
NFL season will happen. I can't wait.

I think Fans will be allowed in October sometime.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Rat":3bk7z18d said:
I’m a Marlins fan, so I’m plenty used to watching games without fans.

Ouch, Rat. Sad commentary, that.

Seahawk

Reaction score
I'm not a season ticket holder, but if I were I would be wondering about game refunds for each game I was not allowed to attend.

BocciHawk

Reaction score
Seahawk":1j98zp28 said:
I'm not a season ticket holder, but if I were I would be wondering about game refunds for each game I was not allowed to attend.

I've been told repeatedly by the customer service folks that there will be refunds for games that are cancelled or that fans cannot attend.

From a different team, college, also American football, I was shown a diagram of a major stadium with six foot distancing. It had groups of fours and twos, with two or three empty rows -- he just scrolled it around on his phone, didn't want me looking at it super closely as it wasn't and isn't public -- and with multiple empty seats between groups.

He said the stadium capacity was roughly 20% of the full capacity with that diagram... and as he put it to me, "how do I tell the guy that's #1 on our list that he can go but the #2 guy has to wait until next week? or tell the guy with 50 yard seats that he only gets them for one game, and can go to one other but it'll have to be in the nosebleeds?"

If there are fans, and restricted capacity, it may make things complicated and really ugly. I could see teams just declaring that they aren't going to have fans period rather than deal with the BS. I could also see them doing a completely fresh round of ticketing starting with the folks with the highest priority, and have everyone pick seats again, or opt to not go, with no penalty... not sure how that would work with charter seats, but they'd figure it out.

I don't know if I want to go to a Seahawks game live (charter seat holder, haven't missed any regular season or playoff game since October 12 1998 the day after my wedding) if the building is 20% full and I have to worry about getting the virus besides. Simply spreading us out isn't going to necessarily lower the risk to zero, unlike staying home.

Sigh. I think the season ticket bill was over $15k -- we have eight seats split between three families -- and they've already got all our money at this point, I think. It's not a good situation, at all. The uncertainty is killing me.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
The whole idea is perplexing. As an entire world population we have survived less stress or so called pandemics. Baseball, b ball and hockey need to get out there now. Football without a question will be back if people stop acting dumb.
There is no reason to postpone.

peppersjap

Reaction score
BocciHawk":htbiuova said:
Seahawk":htbiuova said:

I've been told repeatedly by the customer service folks that there will be refunds for games that are cancelled or that fans cannot attend.

From a different team, college, also American football, I was shown a diagram of a major stadium with six foot distancing. It had groups of fours and twos, with two or three empty rows -- he just scrolled it around on his phone, didn't want me looking at it super closely as it wasn't and isn't public -- and with multiple empty seats between groups.

He said the stadium capacity was roughly 20% of the full capacity with that diagram... and as he put it to me, "how do I tell the guy that's #1 on our list that he can go but the #2 guy has to wait until next week? or tell the guy with 50 yard seats that he only gets them for one game, and can go to one other but it'll have to be in the nosebleeds?"

If there are fans, and restricted capacity, it may make things complicated and really ugly. I could see teams just declaring that they aren't going to have fans period rather than deal with the BS. I could also see them doing a completely fresh round of ticketing starting with the folks with the highest priority, and have everyone pick seats again, or opt to not go, with no penalty... not sure how that would work with charter seats, but they'd figure it out.

I don't know if I want to go to a Seahawks game live (charter seat holder, haven't missed any regular season or playoff game since October 12 1998 the day after my wedding) if the building is 20% full and I have to worry about getting the virus besides. Simply spreading us out isn't going to necessarily lower the risk to zero, unlike staying home.

Sigh. I think the season ticket bill was over $15k -- we have eight seats split between three families -- and they've already got all our money at this point, I think. It's not a good situation, at all. The uncertainty is killing me.
I have 4 seats and at this point I have very little desire to go. I just don't think the experience will be that enjoyable. We pay a lot of money and I don't want to pay that money for a lesser experience. I also don't want to deal with public transportation and the effort it's going to take getting in or out of the stadium. I think if they start asking the season ticket holders there will be quite a few like me who just don't want to deal with it this year. That might make there job of choosing who will be there easier. I'm fine with them rolling the money I've already paid over to next year.

That being said, I still want football and will be happy with whatever they come up with to make it happen this year.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
If it keeps people employed who wouldn't have been otherwise, you have to think about it.

Besides, even if it's "come one, come all" open season, 50% of the normal attendees will stay home of their own volition, out of fear, self-righteousness, or a genuine sense of duty. That'll alleviate the risk somewhat.

And if you're a Browns fan, there's nobody in the stadium anyway. :p

chris98251

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2js4qg67 said:
If it keeps people employed who wouldn't have been otherwise, you have to think about it.

Besides, even if it's "come one, come all" open season, 50% of the normal attendees will stay home of their own volition, out of fear, self-righteousness, or a genuine sense of duty. That'll alleviate the risk somewhat.

And if you're a Browns fan, there's nobody in the stadium anyway. :p

Or a Mariners fan after June...…………….

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
In an empty stadium, you'd be able to hear some of the players/coaches shouting instructions at each other, the smack talk between players, and the hits in their entirety. For football fans, it'd be a whole new look at the game.

BullHawk33

Reaction score
Masks sound like they will be the giveaway at games for the first couple of months. Doubtful it will be only the first 20000 fans though.

flv

Reaction score
If a stadium's capacity is reduced from 50K to 8K and there are 50K who want to buy the 8K tickets no team is going to turn down the opportunity to sell 8K tickets. Even if they didn't want to sell tickets the CBA mandates teams to maximise revenues.

edogg23

Reaction score
xray":pbpndxj8 said:
Most watch from a recliner anyway . Somebody will come up with a crowd noise app too .
Along these same lines. What if each stadium was allowed to pump in artificial crowd noise, and the 49ers sound suspiciously similar to every other Sunday :D ?

bmorepunk

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":2vhm7r0s said:
The whole idea is perplexing. As an entire world population we have survived less stress or so called pandemics. Baseball, b ball and hockey need to get out there now. Football without a question will be back if people stop acting dumb.

The better part of a hundred million people died in World War II. The Great Chinese Famine killed tens of millions. The Khmer Rouge only killed 30 percent of their population through direct action and famine. Populations technically survived these things. I don't look at something that didn't wipe out half the population as a great metric.

We've had under 7,000 troop deaths deaths combined in Iraq in Afghanistan over the last two decades. RAND Corporations analysis is that we've committed 1.5 million troop years between those two places. Yet somehow, being deployed to either would have been considered dangerous enough to have systematic precautions to prevent deaths, even for a bunch of POGs on a FOB.

What's your number of acceptable fatalities so that we can just pack in the stadiums for our entertainment?

bmorepunk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3sxrf9r2 said:

That's the hard part of this for me that relates to the sports world. It's not the end of the world for me if there are not sports. Life is better with them.

But the people whose lives depend on them for income? That's where my concerns lie, and it's indicative of what's going on all over the place in different industries. I'm not to worried about the owners, most of the players, or most of the higher paid team staffs. Who really gets hurt is the enormous economy and related jobs of regular people.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
bmorepunk":35r896zl said:
jamescasey1124":35r896zl said:

The better part of a hundred million people died in World War II. The Great Chinese Famine killed tens of millions. The Khmer Rouge only killed 30 percent of their population through direct action and famine. Populations technically survived these things. I don't look at something that didn't wipe out half the population as a great metric.

We've had under 7,000 troop deaths deaths combined in Iraq in Afghanistan over the last two decades. RAND Corporations analysis is that we've committed 1.5 million troop years between those two places. Yet somehow, being deployed to either would have been considered dangerous enough to have systematic precautions to prevent deaths, even for a bunch of POGs on a FOB.

What's your number of acceptable fatalities so that we can just pack in the stadiums for our entertainment?

I dont know man. Maybe I can go back to Afghan for a third time and just ask Muhammed. What is your point? That you are scared to go to a game? Why? In fear you will be breathed on? Come on. I work everyday and I'm out and about. Not that big of a deal. I keep my space, but then again...I did that before all this bs. Just out of respect for other peoples space. Anyway...why dont we go to a game and find out what the fatalities end up being or if me and you ever get sick. I never said there was an acceptable number or acceptable death. Any death to me is heart breaking. Not just covid crap.

Mike D in 332

Reaction score
Someone commented that the money isn’t made selling tickets to fans. However the average price last year was $111.78 per ticket. Multiply by 10 games and roughly 68k fans per game and you have $76 million just from Seahawks games. There are 32 teams. Stadiums have different capacities and average price likely varies from team to team. If all teams had the same numbers as the Seahawks, then you are looking at $2.43 billion before anyone buys merchandise or concessions. I think the owners want that revenue.

HawkGA

Reaction score
My guess, though I would be interested in seeing actual numbers, is that TV revenue is a lot more than stadium revenue. So if they have to do it without fans, they will.