No Seriously. Where's the RO?

Smellyman

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":19cfsud1 said:
Optimus25":19cfsud1 said:
Flyingsquad23":19cfsud1 said:
Mariotta had 27 yards on the ground and Russ had 26... What did they do that was so special

You and stats lol.

You see friend, mariota did his yardage when the game was locked, and therefore greatly affected our defensive front for a majority of the game moving forward.

Wilson, otoh, did most of his rushing in what we call garbage time. When they really didn't mind the 8, 10,12 yard gains, because the clock was the bigger enemy. Or even just keeping him in bounds was the bigger objective.

Stats. Must. Have. Meaning. Otherwise. Disregard.

The poster above was pining for a QB run game like the Titans, I merely pointed out that he did nothing of consequence.
And the truth s stats do tell a very complete story if you look at all of them in respect to the game played. That is why all of the worlds sports team utilize stat analyst to help with their evaluations.

Yeah, I said it.

the Titans ran the RO and they ran designed qb runs. It forces the D to honor it. The QB doesn't have to keep it every time for it to be effective. The Hawks NEVER RAN IT. The runs by RW were on broken plays.

this is Football 101 stuff.

OP
OP
O

Optimus25

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3qg5quz6 said:
Optimus25":3qg5quz6 said:
Hawk-Lock":3qg5quz6 said:
A bunch of posters on a forum think they know the game better than a guy who has been coaching football for the last 20 years. Ok.

Please explain how our offensive scheme could get worse. This is complete abysmal failure combined with zero adaptability.

Blind homerism to anyone shouldn't be tolerated, regardless of resume.

Russ looks like he is literally never coached. Like he's made it to the top and now he's the anointed one. Zero improvement week to week. Just same old late game hero.

How about the proper way to throw a fade?

How about the proper way to throw a ball without it sailing?

How about how to get rid of a ball by spiking it at carsons feet instead of taking a thirty yard sack?

Crickets week in week out for three years and it all seems to be silenced by guys like you. Guys who rest on their laurels because of resumes, past performances, etc.

Always compete, unless you're in petes safe zone, ie, coach.

I'm not a genius so I don't know, but I do know the coaches on this team should not be taking advice from fans on a forum. We don't see and know everything, we only see what is on the surface. No different than those who complained about Darboh making it over Kasen, we only saw the preseason games, not all the hours of practice. There is probably a reason why we didn't go to the read option. Why, I don't know, but the coaches don't share everything with the public.

Btw I'm pretty sure RW has thrown plenty of successful fades. He's had some bad ones, but so has every great QB including Brady.

It's easy to knock the offense, but when you are RW and multiple defensive linemen are coming at your face, you don't always make the right play.

Sorry for the long quotes i don't know how to do the fancy short ones.

It's not ''fans on a forum'' dude it's the whole country. Stephen A called out this offense, don't know if that's the main stream version of official problem, but pretty close. We have quite possibly the worst offense in the league and the only thing that gets us away from that is late game heroics and last minute crap, which is unacceptable.

Second, of course the coaches aren't sharing with the public. That's why I'm HERE. I want your take. Why?. Where is Russ's mobility early?. Why is this such a crappy vanilla scheme in every single GD first quarter for two years running?. I'll be the first to admit that a playcaller has the hardest, most craptaking job and everybody's a critic who doesn't understand how hard it is. But seriously?. There's a line of acceptability, and you seem to have one WAY further in the sand than me.

Last, I'm sure Russ has thrown some good balls in almost every route imaginable. But that fade was completely, utterly unacceptable. You have to let Jimmy make a play. You just throw it up. That's all. Don't aim, don't think. My wife could have made a better throw. There was no reason for five yards over Jimmy Grahams head. None. And that's a coaching problem. I'll bet you a hundred dollars not one person has coached Russ on that this whole year. Just put it up there Russ. Let him go get it. Then that leads to other issues. What else is he seriously not getting coached about?

I know one... How to spike the ball at a RBs feet to avoid a sack. Carson was right there. Brady does it ALL the time. It's simple. Doesn't matter if the back has his back turned or knows it's coming, and sometimes it barely looks like it's even near the running back. But it always bails Brady out and it's about f-ing time someone teaches Russ.

So moving forward I'd appreciate concrete evidences as to why i should sympathize with bevell outside of his tenure. Cause I'll throw specific, in game examples all day.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Optimus25":1shkcaph said:
Lords of Scythia":1shkcaph said:
no lynch, no ro

Carson?. He's no lynch, but he's no Michael.

The QB makes the RO work, not so much the RB. Got to know when to pull it or give it.

I especially like the RO Titans had with a pass option also. I remember when the Hawks did that too. ~sigh~

Sgt Largent

Reaction score
Optimus25":qvl795pr said:
Flyingsquad23":qvl795pr said:
433 yards of offense is mediocre?

Denial is ugly. Stats don't win games and actually often don't tell the story.

Tennessee did all they had to do to slow us down and that includes a soft defense down the stretch, giving up chunks, or stats, as you call them.

Seriously, we gave up over 30 points on defense today. Absolutely demolished in the second half. We could blame the offense until today, but to call out a near 400 yard 3 td day as the issue .... LO FL

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
No one has coached Russ to throw a proper fade like your wife..... This must be an attempt at a joke right?

OP
OP
O

Optimus25

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":3p3o30fj said:
No one has coached Russ to throw a proper fade like your wife..... This must be an attempt at a joke right?

Sorry I'm kinda questioning your reading comprehension as a direct result of your performance in this entire thread.

Debating if a response is even worthwhile...

I'd rather stay neutral with a fellow fan and mods...

Go Hawks!.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
You literally bet $100 that no one has coached him and that your wife could throw it better. How did I error?

OP
OP
O

Optimus25

Reaction score
^

It's not that you did or did not error it's what you're taking from the original posts.

Kinda like above when you defended the use of stats as a viable defense of this offense. I just don't see how a reasonable football observer, fan, critic what have you could defend this offense. But you are trying... So I'll give you that.

Ultimately though, i guess you want to zero in on my discussion of the Jimmy Graham fade. So please entertain me with your version. Mine is that the coaching staff assumed Russ knows what to do with the play in every situation. And yes, zero to next to zero coaching.

Otherwise please explain a throw five yards over Jimmy Grahams head. Was he rushed?. No. Was he hurt?. No. Slip?. Fall?. Bad snap?. No. No. No.

A 50/50 ball is only 50/50 when you put it somewhere Jimmy can catch it. Five yards out of bounds on an eight yard throw is something outside of what you can simply blame Russ for. His entire mind set wasn't zeroed in on the intention of the play. Kinda shines light on Russ overall for me and his relationship to the staff. Really seems like they truly just live and die off his crazy play making and do little to make him better at his core.

OP
OP
O

Optimus25

Reaction score
Smellyman":vp09b5ey said:
Optimus25":vp09b5ey said:
Lords of Scythia":vp09b5ey said:
no lynch, no ro

Carson?. He's no lynch, but he's no Michael.

The QB makes the RO work, not so much the RB. Got to know when to pull it or give it.

I especially like the RO Titans had with a pass option also. I remember when the Hawks did that too. ~sigh~

Yeah!. Like two years ago when it worked great?. That was a great play.

Kinda like when we motion Jimmy across a formation to create awkward isolation on the defense?

Some things need to come out more often than biennially.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
Russ is fallible, he makes poor throws. So has every hall of fame QB, while that pass was uncatchable I believe he threw an impeccable td pass to Doug and Paul. I didn't disagree with your comment on that play just your assertion he hasn't been coached up properly.

OP
OP
O

Optimus25

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":2rboqy41 said:
Russ is fallible, he makes poor throws. So has every hall of fame QB, while that pass was uncatchable I believe he threw an impeccable td pass to Doug and Paul. I didn't disagree with your comment on that play just your assertion he hasn't been coached up properly.

I agree on the impeccable pass but Russ's talent wasn't really ever the question for me. It's what we're doing with it.

We can't know the answer, so here we lie. I say the coaching is terribly delinquent and you disagree. Thus the forum! Cause arguing with yourself gets really old...

Sgt Largent

Reaction score
Optimus25":3r9hdkjq said:
^

It's not that you did or did not error it's what you're taking from the original posts.

Kinda like above when you defended the use of stats as a viable defense of this offense. I just don't see how a reasonable football observer, fan, critic what have you could defend this offense. But you are trying... So I'll give you that.

Ultimately though, i guess you want to zero in on my discussion of the Jimmy Graham fade. So please entertain me with your version. Mine is that the coaching staff assumed Russ knows what to do with the play in every situation. And yes, zero to next to zero coaching.

Otherwise please explain a throw five yards over Jimmy Grahams head. Was he rushed?. No. Was he hurt?. No. Slip?. Fall?. Bad snap?. No. No. No.

A 50/50 ball is only 50/50 when you put it somewhere Jimmy can catch it. Five yards out of bounds on an eight yard throw is something outside of what you can simply blame Russ for. His entire mind set wasn't zeroed in on the intention of the play. Kinda shines light on Russ overall for me and his relationship to the staff. Really seems like they truly just live and die off his crazy play making and do little to make him better at his core.

I'll bite, why don't you school me on your football IQ. Explain to me how execution of one individual play is somehow a condemnation of Wilson's coaching instead of just a player failng to execute. By the way, I'm not even close to a Bevell fan.

Fair warning, come correct. I get tired of all these hot takes from people that don't know what a reach block is or pin and pull technique.

Sincerely,

Waiting to be educated

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Optimus25":3n7omyxu said:
Hawk-Lock":3n7omyxu said:
A bunch of posters on a forum think they know the game better than a guy who has been coaching football for the last 20 years. Ok.

Please explain how our offensive scheme could get worse. This is complete abysmal failure combined with zero adaptability.

There isn't actually a lot of X's and O's in your analysis other than noting Tennessee ran the read option a bunch, which they really didn't.

Take away four drops and we're not having this conversation.

pottyp

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":3abkpb0k said:
No denial, the offense gave the team a lead twice. 9,8,12 the number of plays in 3 td drives, what more do you want.

QFT: Offense wasn't pretty but they were effective. take away four drops and I am still asking why the d gave up 33.

How many games you think this team is going to win if the d gives up 33 points and is able to generate no pressure on the opposing qb at all? The D gave up 3 TDs in the third. Hard to overcome that. somehow this is only bevell's fault?

OP
OP
O

Optimus25

Reaction score
Sgt Largent":11cfeuw9 said:
Optimus25":11cfeuw9 said:
^

I'll bite, why don't you school me on your football IQ. Explain to me how execution of one individual play is somehow a condemnation of Wilson's coaching instead of just a player failng to execute. By the way, I'm not even close to a Bevell fan.

Fair warning, come correct. I get tired of all these hot takes from people that don't know what a reach block is or pin and pull technique.

Sincerely,

Waiting to be educated

Situationally, you don't miss by five yards on a fade route to the second biggest receiving threat in the nfl on an island.

You're like bevell outthinking yourself. It's simple. How could that possibly have been an event coached to Russ?. Because if you're saying Russ is that bad then i guess we have way bigger problems. My version fits better though. He was barely coached on positioning of the ball for that play in that situation, and just choked. Yes, on the player, but where's the evidence of the practice?

By the way, you're arguing quite unfairly by putting the onus on me to prove lack of coaching when i just simply stated the play appears to me to have been poorly coached. I think it would be better for you to refute with anything to the contrary.

OP
OP
O

Optimus25

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1vbcbhjr said:
Optimus25":1vbcbhjr said:
Hawk-Lock":1vbcbhjr said:

There isn't actually a lot of X's and O's in your analysis other than noting Tennessee ran the read option a bunch, which they really didn't.

Take away four drops and we're not having this conversation.

How about when you quote you actually quote?. I didn't say anything about being technical, x's and o's oriented, nor did i say Tenn ran the RO a '' bunch''.

I said they did run it and when they did it appeared to soften our D.

And blaming drops on this offense is just another, more eloquent, form of denial.

But it's cool. We can ride this offense into the sunset for all i care. I'll take the satisfaction of told you so.

Ps. When you target tanner more than Jimmy in the RZ i don't want to hear complaints about drops. Reaping what you sow far as I'm concerned.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3m8he0it said:

I don't need to know how to play the piano to realize that the guy up on stage pounding random keys can't play the piano. Same with designing an NFL offense. And, he was fired from his only other OC job for being really bad at it.

Sgt Largent

Reaction score
Optimus25":3uuwkj0b said:
Sgt Largent":3uuwkj0b said:
Optimus25":3uuwkj0b said:
^

Sincerely,

Waiting to be educated

Situationally, you don't miss by five yards on a fade route to the second biggest receiving threat in the nfl on an island.

You're like bevell outthinking yourself. It's simple. How could that possibly have been an event coached to Russ?. Because if you're saying Russ is that bad then i guess we have way bigger problems. My version fits better though. He was barely coached on positioning of the ball for that play in that situation, and just choked. Yes, on the player, but where's the evidence of the practice?

By the way, you're arguing quite unfairly by putting the onus on me to prove lack of coaching when i just simply stated the play appears to me to have been poorly coached. I think it would be better for you to refute with anything to the contrary.

Listen man, I'll say I've coached football for over 20 years and played QB before that. Understand that is not a brag, I was/am a way better coach and honestly am not very good at that. But the idea that one individual play indicates poor coaching is laughable. I can't stand Bevell. I think most of his success has boiled down to play making QBs ( Farve, Wilson). Just do better than "that one pass sucked so he's not being coached properly".