No Seriously. Where's the RO?

randomation

Reaction score
Optimus25":3kbomq8w said:
Coug_Hawk08":3kbomq8w said:
I think Russ hurt his ankles. Taped them up heavy after the body slam play. Might have played a part in no read option.
That's viable, but late Russ did have a first down run where he looked plenty explosive. But I'm actually saying it should be a part of our identity again, ie, early and often.

That first down run would have been for a lot more if he wasn't hobbled he looked slow on both that and the dive up the middle compared to normal.

OP
OP
O

Optimus25

Reaction score
Sgt Largent":196njobg said:
Optimus25":196njobg said:
Sgt Largent":196njobg said:
Optimus25":196njobg said:
^

It's not that you did or did not error it's what you're taking from the original posts.

Kinda like above when you defended the use of stats as a viable defense of this offense. I just don't see how a reasonable football observer, fan, critic what have you could defend this offense. But you are trying... So I'll give you that.

Ultimately though, i guess you want to zero in on my discussion of the Jimmy Graham fade. So please entertain me with your version. Mine is that the coaching staff assumed Russ knows what to do with the play in every situation. And yes, zero to next to zero coaching.

Otherwise please explain a throw five yards over Jimmy Grahams head. Was he rushed?. No. Was he hurt?. No. Slip?. Fall?. Bad snap?. No. No. No.

A 50/50 ball is only 50/50 when you put it somewhere Jimmy can catch it. Five yards out of bounds on an eight yard throw is something outside of what you can simply blame Russ for. His entire mind set wasn't zeroed in on the intention of the play. Kinda shines light on Russ overall for me and his relationship to the staff. Really seems like they truly just live and die off his crazy play making and do little to make him better at his core.

I'll bite, why don't you school me on your football IQ. Explain to me how execution of one individual play is somehow a condemnation of Wilson's coaching instead of just a player failng to execute. By the way, I'm not even close to a Bevell fan.

Fair warning, come correct. I get tired of all these hot takes from people that don't know what a reach block is or pin and pull technique.

Sincerely,

Waiting to be educated

Situationally, you don't miss by five yards on a fade route to the second biggest receiving threat in the nfl on an island.

You're like bevell outthinking yourself. It's simple. How could that possibly have been an event coached to Russ?. Because if you're saying Russ is that bad then i guess we have way bigger problems. My version fits better though. He was barely coached on positioning of the ball for that play in that situation, and just choked. Yes, on the player, but where's the evidence of the practice?

By the way, you're arguing quite unfairly by putting the onus on me to prove lack of coaching when i just simply stated the play appears to me to have been poorly coached. I think it would be better for you to refute with anything to the contrary.

Listen man, I'll say I've coached football for over 20 years and played QB before that. Understand that is not a brag, I was/am a way better coach and honestly am not very good at that. But the idea that one individual play indicates poor coaching is laughable. I can't stand Bevell. I think most of his success has boiled down to play making QBs ( Farve, Wilson). Just do better than "that one pass sucked so he's not being coached properly".

Further down the thread I clearly indicated it MAY be indicative of further problems. Then i spelled out another instance clearly. Russ obviously has not been effectively coached on getting rid of the ball under extreme duress. Carson was literally within two or three yards of him and he could simply spiked the ball at his feet for an easy throw away instead of the grounding. Brady does this routinely.

So how many instances must i bring up for discussion before you legitimize my opinion?
But you're right. Let's just take the abject failures for what they are. Player mistakes only. No discussion to be had here.

And sorry i don't have all day to break every single other instance i certainly wish i had the time to discuss.

But back to original point. It's hard to think Russ was doing anything other than throwing it away because he didn't like Jimmys release. Strong coaching would tell him to put it up there for Jimmy on that backside fade shoulder every time.

Strong enough argument coach?

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":3gyygyb6 said:
Optimus25":3gyygyb6 said:
Zero looks today?

Am I in the twilight zone or is bevell seriously this frustrating?. Didn't it seem like as soon as Tennessee dialed up the RO that our ends started getting loose and the whole offense opened up for them?

Nothing darrell?. Not one damn look?

Or what about Lockett not getting the ball until garbage time?

Last i checked he's probably the fastest football speed guy on the field. What the hell is so complicated about getting him the ball?

If I'm missing something please help, but i currently have no idea where our RO went. Two seasons ago it seemed like 60% of our offense. And Russ killed it.

Bevell doesn't know how to coach, or go with whats working.

It even worked last week and so he thought because it worked he would stop doing it.

I'm over it, were just going to get mediocrity until he's gone anyway.

If its working, the defense must be aware...thus, i assume Bevells thinking must be, we need to go away from it.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Optimus25":1nbn2rw9 said:
And blaming drops on this offense is just another, more eloquent, form of denial.

Oh REALLY.

There have been eight drive-killing drops, two in the red zone, and you don't think they've had any influence. Now that is hilarious.

OP
OP
O

Optimus25

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":31i0l4rd said:
Optimus25":31i0l4rd said:
And blaming drops on this offense is just another, more eloquent, form of denial.

Oh REALLY.

There have been eight drive-killing drops, two in the red zone, and you don't think they've had any influence. Now that is hilarious.

It's not that I am too naïve to at least try and see your perspective. I understand to a degree. Some counter points though:

1. When you target McEvoy, an UDFA, you kind of have to sleep in the bed you made. They're not all Baldwins. Plus I don't care if you're relying on Ty Montgomery himself, once you rely on a RB regardless of their WR history, you're accepting the chance that it's a drop at a higher percentage than the current WR corps. It's a byproduct of daily repetition, they ARE human beings not robots. (CJ's drop)

2. There's plenty of drive killing decisions, plays, etc. to go around outside of the drops. For instance, the drive where we actually get Carson going when we start picking up first downs at Tenn, and then we completely abandon the run and have 3 straight terrible plays followed by a punt on their side of the 50. Obviously it was just a snowball effect of play 1 affecting play 2, etc., but come on. Terrible. Russ's grounding call- terrible. I swear he is the worst in the league at getting rid of the football. Which might just be a product of trying to evade EVERYTHING, but I don't understand why he suddenly chooses to be elusive straight back, and where did his trademark reverse pivot spin go? Regardless, the correct decision in that play was to instantly slam it at the turf by Carson who was 3 yards away, and he can't do that. Ever.

Plenty to go around but again, my main point throughout is the fact that nothing changes. I don't see one thing actually improve and it seems we're always relying on players to "out athlete" the other team instead of watching our team march down the field like we did in last year's divisional round with well designed, play to our strength and their weakness attacks. That drive was so beautiful, where the hell is that now?

3. Back to main topic- zero RO. WTH?

sutz

Reaction score
Probably, Russ has learned to read D's enough to recognize when he's being spied on, which is most likely almost every play. If they have an LB or SS dedicated to him, it is unlikely he would make many yards on the RO. It's not just the DE he needs to fool.

All the other teams get the film, too.

:229031_shrug:

OP
OP
O

Optimus25

Reaction score
^
A spy would prevent a big play but could not meet him at the LOS or anything. Four to five yards a pop is ultra effective in its own right. The spy backer is just as susceptible at getting sucked in on the handoff as an end also.