Nobody's talking about Wilson vs Browner

pehawk

Reaction score
kearly":2ltprflv said:
I think they only go after the corners as often as they need to. Only enough to avoid total predictability. Seattle's offense vs. the Pats front seven is a huge mismatch. Really, all Seattle has to do is competently execute their usual game plan on offense and they should do pretty well.

Does that include 15 scripted plays to verify their front 7 is slow? Seemed like the first 15 vs the Panthers we're to verify Kuechly and Davis were fast and good.

You can never trust film, apparently.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
kearly":3c9uuosx said:
I think they only go after the corners as often as they need to. Only enough to avoid total predictability. Seattle's offense vs. the Pats front seven is a huge mismatch. Really, all Seattle has to do is competently execute their usual game plan on offense and they should do pretty well.

Yeah I am hoping it's one of those days where Wilson and Lynch are just unstoppable on the ground, like the Giants game.

OP
OP
HansGruber

HansGruber

Reaction score
I'm not sure people got my point.

I never mean that we would be pass-first. Obviously, the Seahawks will be running the ball A LOT and I think that is critical to our success. Especially against NE's front 7, which is not as good as many we've faced lately.

What I'm trying to point out is that Brandon Browner will be the weak link we go after when we do throw the ball. There will be opportunities because NE will be focused on stopping the run. Then you bring out one of those trips formations like I'm talking about, maybe motion Lynch out to receiver, and they'll be forced to adjust.

This is where Browner's weaknesses will be exposed. I think Lockette specifically is a terrible matchup for Browner because he is fast and he has proven himself to be physical with his game at the gunner spot on special teams. He's a gamer, and won't be intimidated a bit by Browner's physicality. Lockette against Browner would be a freaking sweet opportunity for the Seahawks, especially on downs where the Patriots still expect you to run.

Devin McCourty is the Patriots' FS, and he's really good. The guy has great speed and can close on the ball like Earl Thomas. He's physical too. It speaks for his speed that he returns kicks as well. From the games I've seen, they like to pair McCourty up with Browner like how we used Thomas with Browner. Have Browner jam at the LOS and McCourty/Thomas fall back deeper into coverage to prevent him from getting burned.

But if you remember, this is how teams were beating the LOB last season. They'd simply run trips or formations where you have one guy going shallow, another to mid field and another deep. As soon as Thomas would pick where to go in coverage (if he wasn't providing deep coverage over Browner), the QB would throw at Browner and take advantage. Carson Palmer did that and it was horrible watching it as a Seahawks fan, Carson was having a field day out there.

So my point is that I think this is how Seattle will attack NE in the air when they do throw the ball. I think they're going after Browner, and they're going to do it the way the Cardinals did. Look to get McCourty out of position, force him to sneak up and provide coverage in the middle, and then throw at Browner on the deep seam routes where he is a liability in coverage.

OP
OP
HansGruber

HansGruber

Reaction score
Scottemojo":35pwdui6 said:
I don't see us "going after" Browner. They will have a few very specific routes targeted at both corners, but the way the Pats play D there are just as good of reasons to go after Revis. They cheat a safety to Browner's side, so other than those sideline press beaters, the Patriots aren't giving Browner a true third of the deep to cover. It's more like quarter quarter half.

Just saw this and totally agree with you, but did you see how they played the Ravens? Browner was out there alone in man coverage in a lot of downs. For some reason, Flacco wasn't throwing at him at all really. I didn't understand that, but the Ravens just don't know Browner the way Carroll does.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
HansGruber":3udjq6yj said:
Scottemojo":3udjq6yj said:
I don't see us "going after" Browner. They will have a few very specific routes targeted at both corners, but the way the Pats play D there are just as good of reasons to go after Revis. They cheat a safety to Browner's side, so other than those sideline press beaters, the Patriots aren't giving Browner a true third of the deep to cover. It's more like quarter quarter half.

Just saw this and totally agree with you, but did you see how they played the Ravens? Browner was out there alone in man coverage in a lot of downs. For some reason, Flacco wasn't throwing at him at all really. I didn't understand that, but the Ravens just don't know Browner the way Carroll does.
They had to do that, the RB was flat killing them.

And there in lies our key to passing on this group.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I'd expect NE to try to take away two things, really. Wilson on the edges and Lynch. They might not have the personnel for it on paper, but that is what Belichick does. He goes all-in on stopping your top 1 or 2 elements. For that reason alone, I'm not sure how open the option package will be. In the 2012 game, they went all-in at stopping Lynch, held him to 41 yards on 2.7 ypc. Our read-option package was only in its infant stages at the time, but NE did force Russell up the middle on scrambles. Russell had a big day from the pocket, but that illustrates that stopping him in that sense wasn't as big a priority that day.

I think there will be opportunities to get the ball down-field. Not to say that Seattle should be slingin', but I wouldn't be entirely surprised if the outcome really hinged at how successful we are at winning one-on-ones down the field.

pehawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3a79404z said:
I'd expect NE to try to take away two things, really. Wilson on the edges and Lynch. They might not have the personnel for it on paper, but that is what Belichick does. He goes all-in on stopping your top 1 or 2 elements. For that reason alone, I'm not sure how open the option package will be. In the 2012 game, they went all-in at stopping Lynch, held him to 41 yards on 2.7 ypc. Our read-option package was only in its infant stages at the time, but NE did force Russell up the middle on scrambles. Russell had a big day from the pocket, but that illustrates that stopping him in that sense wasn't as big a priority that day.

I think there will be opportunities to get the ball down-field. Not to say that Seattle should be slingin', but I wouldn't be entirely surprised if the outcome really hinged at how successful we are at winning one-on-ones down the field.

IMO, Pete reduced Lynch's carries in the 2nd half of the 2012 game because SF was that Thursday. I don't think they can do it for 4 quarters.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
pehawk":rj52u5sw said:
DavidSeven":rj52u5sw said:

IMO, Pete reduced Lynch's carries in the 2nd half of the 2012 game because SF was that Thursday. I don't think they can do it for 4 quarters.

Interesting thought. I completely forgot about that. They were also down a couple scores, so that would limit late carries too. NE did hold him to an impressively low YPC, though. He was otherwise pretty unstoppable that season.

pehawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":34x6hds3 said:
pehawk":34x6hds3 said:
DavidSeven":34x6hds3 said:

Interesting thought. I completely forgot about that. They were also down a couple scores, so that would limit late carries too. NE did hold him to an impressively low YPC, though. He was otherwise pretty unstoppable that season.

If I remember right he still got some significant carries in the 2nd half, but nothing like we're used to seeing. I specifically remember thinking of it about halfway through the 3rd, that they could be saving Lynch. I bet Lynch gets held to a lot of low YPA's in first halfs...probably even the HOF RB's too. Goes with the territory.

It was the first time I remember asking if Pete is forgiving the battle for the war.

Mick063

Reaction score
Before it is all said and done, the Patriots will be subbing in for Browner.

He is a marked man.

Strongarm2399

Reaction score
Not sure if you guys have watched film on the patriots but they play about 80 percent man. So putting someone in motion isn't going to make browner choose lol. They also gameplan around his weakness. If revis is on Baldwin he will not get or need any help. Mccourty is basically there to protect browner. Arrington could check any of their receivers aside from maybe Baldwin.

seedhawk

Reaction score
I think we force NE to choose. Either leave a S over to help Browner, and take the poison with our quicker faster TE's matched up on Nincovich, or leave Browner alone.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
seedhawk":3lju6rjg said:
I think we force NE to choose. Either leave a S over to help Browner, and take the poison with our quicker faster TE's matched up on Nincovich, or leave Browner alone.
I'm thinking along these lines. It all fits with what we do. Pound, pound, pound, scramble, pound, pound...

We'll be pulling our hair out because Russ will have no one to throw to for a quarter or two, then BAM, Willson along the seam. BAM, Baldwin all alone 30 yards down the sideline. BAM, Kearse with a huge gain. BAM, Lynch waiting in a vacant lot while the ball floats into his hands and he takes off. One or a few of those is sure to happen at a moment when nobody expects it. Almost always does.

DohBoy

Reaction score
Mick063":2lzp5gg6 said:
Before it is all said and done, the Patriots will be subbing in for Browner.

Subbing for him will certainly help with penalties. Dude's stats...

ZLbaIJl

(http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... penalties/, http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/651 ... on-browner)

Besides the suspension stupidity, did we all forget that the guy does a lot of dumb stuff on the field? Yeah, he hits hard...but he's also a penalty machine. Twenty five tackles and one INT? Versus 6 PI's, 4 holding calls and and 3 personal fouls? Come on already, Browner just ain't that good.

Latest posts