Not acquiring Mayfield proves Hawk mgmt wants to tank...

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Will the Panthers win more games this season than the Seahawks?
Yes. The Panthers will likely be 6-11 and we'll likely go 3-14. They'll win the battle but we'll win the war come the draft.

chrispy

Reaction score
The Seahawks would probably have won more games with Hass in 2011 than TJack, but proposing they "tanked" that season is not a reasonable conclusion. That season was a necessary step in winning a Championship in 2014.

The question "Would the Hawks win more games with Mayfield or Geno?" and the statement "Not acquiring Baker Mayfield proves that Seahawk management wants to tank this year." are entirely different subjects. Personally, the risk/reward for getting Baker seems like it's potentially high reward but definitely high risk. I find it hard to argue that the Seahawks would be considerably better off either way, but that's just my opinion. I respect your opinion if you disagree. The 2022/3 record of the Seahawks and Panthers may be the only metric to measure those differing opinions.

The first sentence in this/my post directly contradicts the OPs original title/assertion. I find that assertion to be blatantly false as it has been disproven previously.

If this was the Browns or Panthers organization, it would seem entirely plausible to question every step, every decision. However, PC/JS have built a SB team in the past. In addition, they built it using the same steps we've seen over the last year. I can't guarantee that the process will work a second time. However, arguing that following a proven system/process is guaranteed to fail seems like faulty logic.

W

Welshers

Oh yeah, I can see where drinking, speeding & insulting cops translates to his On Field decisions....Give me a damned break Welshers.
You keep saying the SAME stuff over & over & over ADD NAUSIUM...N-E-W-S-F-L-A-S-H!!! Geno Smith is NOT the only Football player that's had run-ins with the Law...Sherm??, Marshawn?? JUST TO NAME A COUPLE, sh!t like this happens ALL THE TIME & by players all over the U.S. of A.
yeah the difference is those guys were good so it was easier to overlook their transgressions. I'm sorry I will pull for Geno to win but he sucks. He will be the worst starter in the league.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
If Mayfield had proven surprisingly good, and it would be a big surprise, we would be opening the wallet again next year, right after getting Wilson off the books.

If Geno proves surprisingly good, he won't cost much to retain, and we will still be looking to draft for the future, and we will have the money to build the rest of the team, while we wait for a QB.

Reasonable play.

flv2

Reaction score
I don't think the QB decisions prove any tanking theory. The QB decisions only demonstrate management's ability to evaluate QBs. Saving $2M+ and a conditional pick by keeping Smith over Mayfield will either look like a smart move...or it won't. If it doesn't then the current decision makers aren't the people to make a bigger QB decision next year.

RiverDog

Reaction score
There is no doubt that both Mayfield and Garoppolo are better quarterbacks than anyone we have on our roster or that were available in the draft, and if we were close to being a SB competitor, I'd be all for bringing either of them in. But we aren't expected to field a competitive team, and neither of them are in our future. That doesn't mean that we intend to tank, just that we are reluctant to hitch our wagon to either of them.

KinesProf

Reaction score
You don't tank in football, that just isn't reality. It is far, far too violent of a sport to do that. You could get very hurt doing that.

Not that you need to have any experience playing the sport to have an opinion on it (everyone should feel free to express an opinion), but anyone who has strapped on the pads at any level knows that if you give less than your all, or purposefully "tank", you risk leaving the field on a stretcher.

Being really bad does not= tanking. There just weren't any QBs available this offseason worth spending money or draft compensation.

And if you were around in 2011, the last time they had a bridge QB season, with Tarvaris and Charlie, you know that Pete doesn't tank. He competes to win every game, and if, like in 2011, the QBs aren't up to snuff they'll address it aggressively in the spring.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I don't understand the obsession with Jimmy G. We've all seen his play. We've mostly all made fun of it.

Why would we pay his likely salary, when, for several million less, we can get the same, bone-headed, interception, every game, out of our existing quarterbacks?

KinesProf

Reaction score
The broken jaw may have been years ago but let me tell you what wasn't: driving drunk at 96 MPH in the state of Washington! Endangering lives! And then he insulted the cops who arrested them by saying they had small peepees! Bad decision making! sad!
You do recall that Mayfield has also had an incident with law enforcement as well, don't you?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Seahawks.net has become a wasteland of negativity with fringe/fair weather "fan's" hoping for losses.
From the onset through the 70's, 80's & 90's loyal Hawk fan's were steadfast for decades in our small market, underdog mode.
This along with the highest decibel level was how the 12's were born, something to be proud of.
Now a new breed of fan wants to throw games so a college kid can try to be our saviour, helluva way to circle the wagons.
Seems like there would be more posts about HOW to beat RW & the Donkeys...
This place used to have nickname which was homers.net, now it is negativity.net.

It’s always unfortunately usually the same posters who have this anti-Pete agenda fueled by ageism and their unquestioning belief that there is nothing Pete can do to right the team despite having done it before. Almost every thread now is partially derailed by their negativity or an AP sidetrack. Sadly no alternative for the HC is

Lately many old time reliable posters have pushed back or flipped out b/c of the negativity, but several are simply avoiding the place as the negativity is palpable to me it seems the numbers are down.

We Seahawks fans have had bad seasons before and have kept the faith, many here want to see the team lose which always mystifies me b/c losing sucks.

Despite this the team has gotten younger is developing a solid group of Young OLinemen and there are several very interesting high potential pass rushers to add to the solid young DB groups. I agree that the QB situation is seriously suboptimal but the rest of this young team looks to be better at many positions.

There is lots to be excited about even if he team has a weak QB.

We need to fans of our team rather than hoping they’ll tank to get a solid young QB in the next year’s draft.

It’s far to early to be writing off the season.

W

Welshers

Good? Not sure I'd go that far. Consistently mediocre is how I would best describe him.
He set a rookie td pass record! Then he led his team to their first playoff appearance in years and even won a game. They also nearly beat the chiefs! The only reason he's getting a bad rap is because he played injured last year which made him look worse then he is! Lots of qbs never win a playoff game! Yes he's good! Not great but good!

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
You don't tank in football, that just isn't reality. It is far, far too violent of a sport to do that. You could get very hurt doing that.

Not that you need to have any experience playing the sport to have an opinion on it (everyone should feel free to express an opinion), but anyone who has strapped on the pads at any level knows that if you give less than your all, or purposefully "tank", you risk leaving the field on a stretcher.

Being really bad does not= tanking. There just weren't any QBs available this offseason worth spending money or draft compensation.

And if you were around in 2011, the last time they had a bridge QB season, with Tarvaris and Charlie, you know that Pete doesn't tank. He competes to win every game, and if, like in 2011, the QBs aren't up to snuff they'll address it aggressively in the spring.
Why are so many missing the point. The players don’t tank a season. Management by not putting in or acquiring the best players they can easily afford tank a season. Once and for all, MANAGEMENT IS TANKING THE SEASON NOT THE PLAYERS.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
Yep. Geno is the Alpha Dog Leader we have been seeking. Players will follow Geno wherever he goes.

SMH
He only needs to do it for a year, if that, and then be a good mentor to the QBotF that we acquire next offseason.

W

Welshers

This place used to have nickname which was homers.net, now it is negativity.net.

It’s always unfortunately usually the same posters who have this anti-Pete agenda fueled by ageism and their unquestioning belief that there is nothing Pete can do to right the team despite having done it before. Almost every thread now is partially derailed by their negativity or an AP sidetrack. Sadly no alternative for the HC is

Lately many old time reliable posters have pushed back or flipped out b/c of the negativity, but several are simply avoiding the place as the negativity is palpable to me it seems the numbers are down.

We Seahawks fans have had bad seasons before and have kept the faith, many here want to see the team lose which always mystifies me b/c losing sucks.

Despite this the team has gotten younger is developing a solid group of Young OLinemen and there are several very interesting high potential pass rushers to add to the solid young DB groups. I agree that the QB situation is seriously suboptimal but the rest of this young team looks to be better at many positions.

There is lots to be excited about even if he team has a weak QB.

We need to fans of our team rather than hoping they’ll tank to get a solid young QB in the next year’s draft.

It’s far to early to be writing off the season.
I like Pete! I'm one of his most ardent defenders! But I'm convinced they are tanking this year. Hopefully they prove me wrong and go on some miraculous run.