Not acquiring Mayfield proves Hawk mgmt wants to tank...

had2bhawk

Reaction score
I agree, he hasn't impressed anyone this year. He has an attitude that wears thin very quickly. Don't need that here. We have a good starter with a good backup.
Again, I thought he was pretty good in his commercials.

evergreen

Reaction score
2020. He was always a rental anyway. Shows why we’re here and Pete and John aren’t.

FortWorthSeahawk

Reaction score
That being said, it looks like he pulled off a miracle and the Rams are going to have a last second victory over the Raiders...crazy times we live in.

TraderGary

Reaction score
That being said, it looks like he pulled off a miracle and the Rams are going to have a last second victory over the Raiders...crazy times we live in.
With all the flack Mayfield gets, and granted he brings a lot of that on himself, that was a hell of a performance tonight, engineering two late TD drives for a Rams win after being with the team for just two days. That's the kind of things you see in movies and think, that's just silly, that could never happen in real life. I'm actually happy for the guy, and it potentially helps our draft pick as well.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
With all the flack Mayfield gets, and granted he brings a lot of that on himself, that was a hell of a performance tonight, engineering two late TD drives for a Rams win after being with the team for just two days. That's the kind of things you see in movies and think, that's just silly, that could never happen in real life. I'm actually happy for the guy, and it potentially helps our draft pick as well.
Yeah, but... he was kind of bad most of the game. His numbers ended up looking good because of those final two scoring drives. If the Raiders didn't equally stink all game long, though, he'd have been three or more scores out of it and would have had no chance to pull off a miracle.

That said, yeah, final two drives were quite impressive, and I'll take the improvement in draft position since Los Angeles is all but eliminated from playoff contention anyway.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Mayfield had more history of being a good QB than Geno did before this year which isn't debatable so its reasonable for people to think Mayfield was a risk worth taking especially if you believe Pete brings out the best in players. Mayfield led a defensive oriented team to the playoffs in a crazy tough division before. This boards insistence in trying to prove everyone wrong after the fact has gotten out of hand.

Of course he was bad most of the game he arrived in town two days ago in a brand new offense which severely limits him. I wouldn't be shocked if McVay brought out a good Baker as the year goes on if Stafford misses a bunch of time.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Mayfield had more history of being a good QB than Geno did before this year which isn't debatable so its reasonable for people to think Mayfield was a risk worth taking especially if you believe Pete brings out the best in players. Mayfield led a defensive oriented team to the playoffs in a crazy tough division before. This boards insistence in trying to prove everyone wrong after the fact has gotten out of hand.

Of course he was bad most of the game he arrived in town two days ago in a brand new offense which severely limits him. I wouldn't be shocked if McVay brought out a good Baker as the year goes on if Stafford misses a bunch of time.
Well, to begin with, a number of us argued against getting Mayfield BEFORE the fact. There is a difference between thinking Mayfield may or may not have been worth the risk and saying not getting him proves the Seahawks are tanking.

Second of all, being in a brand-new offense explains away making the wrong reads or wrong progression. It doesn't explain away throwing your passes in the dirt repeatedly.

Do I expect McVay to protect his QB and put him in a better situation to succeed than Carolina? Yes.
Do I expect that game winning drive to be the peak of Mayfield's time in Los Angeles? Also yes.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score

The actual nfl runs a psa commercial for responsible gambling showing the x and o for an outrageous play. You’ve all seen it, the one where the league admonishes fans to only bet what they could afford.

The Rams bet and won. Im More concerned about their final game with us. Lots of playoff hopes come down to the last one.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I’m happy for Mayfield he gets some redemption with his play on those final drives.

Overall though even if I was Geno doubter early (completely over that now) I’m glad the team chose to pass on Mayfield even if he now finds himself with those despised Rams. Perhaps his new HC will be able to get Mayfield to turn the page and shelf his ego, yet somehow I suspect that leopard will soon show it’s spots and Mayfield may find it necessary to move on yet again thus setting new records for the number times the #1 OA pick has moved in his early career.

In short while last night was special for him I don’t predict a happy ending for him in LA. We’ll get to see in person when the Rams come to town, by then more will be known.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Yeah, but... he was kind of bad most of the game. His numbers ended up looking good because of those final two scoring drives. If the Raiders didn't equally stink all game long, though, he'd have been three or more scores out of it and would have had no chance to pull off a miracle.

That said, yeah, final two drives were quite impressive, and I'll take the improvement in draft position since Los Angeles is all but eliminated from playoff contention anyway.
Baker beat a team (only 2 days with his new team) that the Seahawks didn't at home in Seattle. Seahawks should have won that game but they failed to do so. There are no excuses to lose when scoring 34 points. That was a definite poor showing by our Hawks.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
PNW25 said:

This boards insistence in trying to prove everyone wrong after the fact has gotten out of hand.

Agreed 100%.

Baker Mayfield topic is a microcosm of this trend that has invaded every discussion, but they all are either RW topics or RW related....to the degree that there are users that have joined other team's forums to further their rightness agenda.

Weird and unhealthy. Get over it already.

bileever

Reaction score
PNW25 said:

This boards insistence in trying to prove everyone wrong after the fact has gotten out of hand.

Agreed 100%.

Baker Mayfield topic is a microcosm of this trend that has invaded every discussion, but they all are either RW topics or RW related....to the degree that there are users that have joined other team's forums to further their rightness agenda.

Weird and unhealthy. Get over it already.
You're so right. Don't fixate on who was right and who was wrong. It's the NFL, and no one, not even the experts, know anything. I am wrong about everything every year. The Super Bowl champs are 4-9 and Baker Mayfield is their QB, Jeff Saturday is the coach of the Colts, Brock Purdy is the 49ers QB and Russell Wilson is the worst QB in the NFL. I'm pretty sure no one had that on their bingo card.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Well, to begin with, a number of us argued against getting Mayfield BEFORE the fact. There is a difference between thinking Mayfield may or may not have been worth the risk and saying not getting him proves the Seahawks are tanking.

Second of all, being in a brand-new offense explains away making the wrong reads or wrong progression. It doesn't explain away throwing your passes in the dirt repeatedly.

Do I expect McVay to protect his QB and put him in a better situation to succeed than Carolina? Yes.
Do I expect that game winning drive to be the peak of Mayfield's time in Los Angeles? Also yes.
Meh I doubt many do well after two days in a building with a new offense, new team, new staff etc. Maybe I'm crazy though.

I think Mayfield can be good in this league again as he's already proven. If he never does anything again that wouldn't shock me either but he's talented for sure.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Baker beat a team (only 2 days with his new team) that the Seahawks didn't at home in Seattle. Seahawks should have won that game but they failed to do so. There are no excuses to lose when scoring 34 points. That was a definite poor showing by our Hawks.
And...? Baker won because his defense held the Raiders to a lot less points than ours did. We absolutely dropped that game and shouldn't have, but I still prefer the performance Geno gave to Mayfield's. You give Geno that defensive performance that Baker had and Geno's watching the last half of the fourth quarter from the bench while Lock is doing clean up duty.

Meh I doubt many do well after two days in a building with a new offense, new team, new staff etc. Maybe I'm crazy though.
What about a new offense, team, or staff causes you to throw the ball poorly? What does any of that stuff have to do with basic accuracy? And if the new team is the issue now, what was the reason for doing it in Carolina to the point of getting benched?

I absolutely expect Mayfield to do better in LA than in Carolina because LA is going to have a better scheme and demand much less from their QB, but I would be surprised if his overall performance rises above middling. (And if I'm wrong, I won't get bent out of shape if it gets pointed out.)

Ozzy

Reaction score
And...? Baker won because his defense held the Raiders to a lot less points than ours did. We absolutely dropped that game and shouldn't have, but I still prefer the performance Geno gave to Mayfield's. You give Geno that defensive performance that Baker had and Geno's watching the last half of the fourth quarter from the bench while Lock is doing clean up duty.

What about a new offense, team, or staff causes you to throw the ball poorly? What does any of that stuff have to do with basic accuracy? And if the new team is the issue now, what was the reason for doing it in Carolina to the point of getting benched?

I absolutely expect Mayfield to do better in LA than in Carolina because LA is going to have a better scheme and demand much less from their QB, but I would be surprised if his overall performance rises above middling. (And if I'm wrong, I won't get bent out of shape if it gets pointed out.)
Not knowing where receivers are going to be, nerves and uncertainty because you don’t know anyone’s tendencies etc.

You could use the same argument you’re using to say geno would never do what he’s doing. A ton goes into how a QB plays. Most guys are good enough to be good regardless of the other factors. But anyway I don’t disagree a ton I just lean towards him being better than he was in Carolina and you lean the other way and like you if I’m wrong I won’t get upset about it. I like redemption stories and rooting he returns to his former self.

Torc

Reaction score
I bet Mayfield is plenty popular in the Rams locker room at the moment. I'm curious to see if and when the reports of him not getting along with other players follow him to LA.

knownone

Reaction score
I said it at the time, and I'll keep saying it; Mayfield does not have the physical skillset that the Seahawks covet in a QB, which is why they didn't trade for him. However, that doesn't mean he won't end up turning his career around.

Latest posts