Notes on Houston

niveky

Reaction score
Timberhawk":1kr5rlqj said:
Yes, great write up. Thank you so much! This is why this board is the best with all of the Hawks fans who are as passionate as me, but way smarter:)

After reading through the Texans Boards you'd think we are expected to blow them out, because their fans don't seem so confident and for the most part seem pretty down on their team right now. I'm with you guys, this game makes me nervous and I think it will be close. I hope the Hawks prove me wrong and their fans right. Thanks again for the great post!

well they probably know that our offense is capable of putting up points, unlike baltimore last week. so they are looking at a better defense and offense than baltimore last week and they lost by 21 that game.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
tdlabrie":1ci12sz7 said:
In reading your post and looking at the NFL Team Statistics, I happened to notice that, besides Total Defense and Rushing Defense, there are two other categories, Pass Defense of course, and "Receiving Defense". What the heck is that?
do you have a link to such malarky?

And thank you for the OP Scott!

To Dom: no need to monitor the situation, it has been posted, it is known.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Thank you Scotte, this was informative and enjoyable to read.

It seems like the Texans have been really great over the past few years at breaking off big runs against 8-man fronts. They really punish aggression by linebackers and box safeties--which is interesting, since as you pointed out, their linebackers are some of the most aggressive.

Perfundle

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1nz15yp1 said:
Wade Philips is no slouch as a DC, that defense essentially went worst to first when he took over.
I would have to think that Watt and Joseph arriving on the team that year also played a large part in this.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Perfundle":koo00uaa said:
Scottemojo":koo00uaa said:
Wade Philips is no slouch as a DC, that defense essentially went worst to first when he took over.
I would have to think that Watt and Joseph arriving on the team that year also played a large part in this.
No doubt. And Cushing really hit his stride. Still, it was a massive improvement.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I watched some All 22 on the Houston/Baltimore game, Duane Brown's replacement at LT looked really bad at times. And the Ravens got a lot of pressure up the middle too. I think the Texans might have a hard time protecting Schaub because their O-Line looked really out of sorts vs Baltimore. I don't think the Ravens have the pass rush that we do, and I know they don't have the backfield we do. They have Lardarius Webb, Jimmy Smith and a rookie at FS. All they have is Ngata and Suggs, who are superstars and played like it.

Dismas

Reaction score
Timberhawk":x0mft29k said:
Yes, great write up. Thank you so much! This is why this board is the best with all of the Hawks fans who are as passionate as me, but way smarter:)

After reading through the Texans Boards you'd think we are expected to blow them out, because their fans don't seem so confident and for the most part seem pretty down on their team right now. I'm with you guys, this game makes me nervous and I think it will be close. I hope the Hawks prove me wrong and their fans right. Thanks again for the great post!

This post illustrates the horrible inertia that suffuses Seahawk fandom.

For the 20 years I have been following the Hawks, the one consistent trait they carried was the ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. To take an eminently winnable game and turn it into a suckfest of ineptitude. To, (to paraphrase some browns fan) squash our hopes in their house of tears.

The Hawks aren't like that any more. period.
yes, we had some letdowns last season, lost a few games we should have won, but this team has emphatically NOT been a suckfest anymore.

Take a little pride, have a little confidence. This team is detirmined to go onto ANY field and impose their will. It is not likely to succeed every time, but I don't see a game on the schedule I expect our boys to lose.

The Houson fans' attitude . . expecting a letdown, a disappointing snoozer of a defeat? That has been us for too long. Let them wallow in their misery, while we, the patient, revel in our teams new and hard won significance.

GO HAWKS!

Minor edit for spelling

tdlabrie

Reaction score
ClumsyLurk":1c24pxgb said:
tdlabrie":1c24pxgb said:
In reading your post and looking at the NFL Team Statistics, I happened to notice that, besides Total Defense and Rushing Defense, there are two other categories, Pass Defense of course, and "Receiving Defense". What the heck is that?
Sure...
http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1o2ehwmn said:
Scottemojo":1o2ehwmn said:
In single back sets we are killing it with the run. It forces the D to counter with 5 secondary players. Lynch works best in some space.

I will be monitoring this situation very closely.

While drinking beer, right?

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
Great write up and thanks, that is just what I was looking for.
I expect our D to impose it's will on the Texans. 21 points scored will easily win this game IMO.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Great write up.

I've seen the same things from Shaub; he has to have a guy have a lot of separation before he pulls the trigger. That's going to be an issue against our secondary.

How does their OL look in pass protection ? I know they're a good run blocking team, but many times that doesn't translate to pass pro.

Their defense is solid, and doesn't give up a lot, but I'm not sure I call them "nasty". They don't create enough turnovers to be all that nasty.

I see this one as a closer game. Houston needs this game a lot more than we do, they might be in desperation mode already. They're also going to be amped up for this game and they're playing the "#1 team in the league". This might be their playoff litmus test, or their regular season SuperBowl. I'm glad our guys got some rest vs. Jacksonville.

NastyNate

Reaction score
Hawks46":1ni89b6j said:
How does their OL look in pass protection ? I know they're a good run blocking team, but many times that doesn't translate to pass pro.

Terrible. We're last in the league in pass protection according to PFF.com

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
tdlabrie":1k3dmn51 said:
ClumsyLurk":1k3dmn51 said:
tdlabrie":1k3dmn51 said:
Sure...
http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics
Weird - and somehow they end up w/ different yds and yds/g but equal amt of completions/receptions
ExltjZS