O-line losing the battle up front..

White Devil

Reaction score
That picture is a horrible representation of what happened on Sunday.

Carpenter is actually blocking someone. For a majority of the day he couldn't block a Garden Gnome.

Yikes, that O-Line is bad. I miss the big Russian. Even with the holding calls and other stupid penalties, he was the nasty on the line and kept the attitude up. He also protected his QB. If that meant holding, he held. I'd rather see a holding than letting people plant Russ like they did last week.

Marlin Man

Reaction score
You will see one of the worst "professional" games I have evr seen from ANY offensive linemen, I shit you not. I also saw Brit make several nice plays. Okung, I sure wish we could move him in offseason for a 2nd or 3rd, we would be lucky, because IF we can't trade him he will be walking, beacsue he sure as hell is not worth the money he will get

I have a feeling it is going to be a couple years BEFORE we can build a GOOD line, first move should be to have Cable "retire". Maybe he could take Bevel with him? LOL

Carpenter is probably the worst performer I have ever seen for such an "experienced" player. So many defenders get under his pads/past him without him even touching them, friggin unbelievable

The Dirty Truth

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":bgaqmg71 said:
Hawk_Nation":bgaqmg71 said:
Looks like its Britt getting beat and the other Hawk is Turbin in the backfield.

Britt was the least of the line's worry on that play.......look at Okung and Sweezy who got thrown five yards aside like rag dolls.

Embarrassing, utterly embarrassing.

Thats Schilling on the ground with Okung, not Sweezy. And 1 freeze frame shows nothing. 171 yards rushing and over 300 yards passing and the actual OL only gave up 1 sack (the other 2 were on Helfet). Did they play a perfect game? No. But we have way bigger areas of concern right now.

OP
OP
2_0_6

2_0_6

Reaction score
The Dirty Truth":2dtcwqtd said:
Sgt. Largent":2dtcwqtd said:
Hawk_Nation":2dtcwqtd said:
Looks like its Britt getting beat and the other Hawk is Turbin in the backfield.

Britt was the least of the line's worry on that play.......look at Okung and Sweezy who got thrown five yards aside like rag dolls.

Thats Schilling on the ground with Okung, not Sweezy. And 1 freeze frame shows nothing. 171 yards rushing and over 300 yards passing and the actual OL only gave up 1 sack (the other 2 were on Helfet). Did they play a perfect game? No. But we have way bigger areas of concern right now.

Lynch had 18 rushes for 50 something yards, that's a problem. Out of those 171 yards rushing, over 100 of them were when Russell was in utter scramble mode from......the line failing to block.

Id say this is just as much of a concern as the d line and inability to get pressure.

OP
OP
2_0_6

2_0_6

Reaction score
The Dirty Truth":mhin2kqo said:
And the 300 yards passing? DL and Linebackers are a much bigger concern.

If you can actually sit back after watching the game and say the O-line is not an issue, then Id like to take a sip off whats in your cup.

:vodka:

brimsalabim

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":2d87n6xm said:
Hawk_Nation":2d87n6xm said:
Its been discussed umpteen times in various threads about how bad our O-line has been playing so far this year. I came across this picture on Twitter yesterday, and needless to say this is a perfect example of why Russell and Marshawn are being forced to work their magic for positive yards.

Talk about getting dominated, yikes.

Los
This picture should be posted at VMAC, preferably in Cables office.

jeez is that a running play or are we pass blocking? If its a run play...no holes! If its a pass play Quinn got around Britt way too easy. ... And what is Kearse doing?

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
The Dirty Truth":38q7c1ul said:
And the 300 yards passing? DL and Linebackers are a much bigger concern.

A result of the textbook pass blocking that allowed Russell to sit in the pocket all day and shred St Louis. defense.

Let's face it, there's not another quarterback in the league that would make some people think our O-line's not a big issue. Someone posted the stats the other day and St Louis were getting pressures on Russ in two seconds, with some ease.

There was one throw where Russ got it out to Doug (who took it for a big gain) about a second after the snap and still got absolutely drilled, completely legally.

For what it's worth, I think it'll get a lot better with Unger back. We've clearly missed him calling protections and it's no coincidence that Carp and Sweezy have pretty much sucked in his absence (after starting the year great).

themunn

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":2webp24l said:
The Dirty Truth":2webp24l said:
Sgt. Largent":2webp24l said:
Hawk_Nation":2webp24l said:

Lynch had 18 rushes for 50 something yards, that's a problem. Out of those 171 yards rushing, over 100 of them were when Russell was in utter scramble mode from......the line failing to block.

Id say this is just as much of a concern as the d line and inability to get pressure.

Also had 3 rushes for 38 yards and a TD called back on iffy penalties (particularly the Bailey holding call on the TD run, which was a beautiful block downfield).

21 carries for 91 yards and a TD doesn't look half bad does it?
Even without those 3 (second half) carries, Lynch ran for 42 yards on 9 carries in the second half (4.6 yards a pop), and with those 3 carries it would have been 80 yards on 12 carries.

The O-Line got dominated in the first half, but they flat out dominated the second half.

The Dirty Truth

Reaction score
All I am saying is that the OL isnt anywhere near as much of an issue as our defense is right now. We could upgrade at LT but besides that what could we do? Carp is finally playing at a high level, Sweezy is turning into on of the better guards in the league, Unger was playing well and Britt is a rookie and we all knew there would be growing pains. Should we have kept Breno? Well hindsight is 20/20 but I know all of you hated him last year and now you are begging for him back. You guys would do the exact same with these other guys on the line too.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
We need to be grooming both Okung's and Unger's replacements but yes we also need some push up the middle on D.

The Dirty Truth

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":2fj8yika said:
Hmmm woulda, coulda, shoulda, but at the end of the day stats are stats.

Yes stats are stats........300 yards passing, 170 yards rushing

OP
OP
2_0_6

2_0_6

Reaction score
The Dirty Truth":1ssacvg7 said:
Hawk_Nation":1ssacvg7 said:
Hmmm woulda, coulda, shoulda, but at the end of the day stats are stats.

Yes stats are stats........300 yards passing, 170 yards rushing

Keep drinking that O line kool aid :D

Tom Cable is that you?

OP
OP
2_0_6

2_0_6

Reaction score
The Dirty Truth":2rvslbde said:
Would you take those stats every game?

Nope.. 2/3 of the rushing was done by our QB, and that will get him killed over the long term.

Does the D line have issues? Yes, Im not arguing with you there.

But for you to say that the O line is peachy and has no issues is a total joke.

Exittium

Reaction score
Didn't schilling get injured in the 2nd half at some point and we started using. 3rd/4th string center?.. Who iirc and imo did a better job of blocking then schilling.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I'm no line expert, hell I'm no football expert, but I have been saying every week that the line is making good progress and predicting that our line will be decent by the end of the season, barring major injury. We took a bit of a step back with the loss of Unger, but overall the pass blocking is making great strides. I suspect that the run blocking is taking a back seat in practice so that the line can focus on pass blocking. We had great run blocking earlier in the season, and I expect a return to that level this week and next.

Yes, we have one of the worst O-lines in the league, and yes Russ is covering up for some glaring weaknesses, but overall I am happy with the progression of the line as a unit. Going forward, we are better off letting the line gel and improve than retooling with any player that we are likely to pick up at this point in the season. Short of picking up a big name like Joe Thomas, we are better off looking for someone to help improve our inside rush.

- bsd

The Dirty Truth

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":3h954ftq said:
The Dirty Truth":3h954ftq said:
Would you take those stats every game?

Nope.. 2/3 of the rushing was done by our QB, and that will get him killed over the long term.

Does the D line have issues? Yes, Im not arguing with you there.

But for you to say that the O line is peachy and has no issues is a total joke.

I never said the OL didnt have issues. Every unit on the team has issues right now. I was just saying that I think we have way bigger issues than the OL. If you tell me that every game we will have 300 yards passing and 170 yards rushing I will take it everyday, no questions asked.