OC Candidates + Further Questions

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Fade":3at88jb3 said:
Hasselbeck":3at88jb3 said:
Fade":3at88jb3 said:
BC-Hawk":3at88jb3 said:
John DeFilippo would be a fantastic hire if he somehow escapes the head coaching search without a job, plus he's young enough that once Pete decides to eventually retire he can slide in as his successor easily. Perhaps that could be a selling point for the Hawks "come here and be our OC for a couple of years and then we'll hand over the keys to the head coach's office in X number of years."

DeFilippo would get a HC job the very next year with another team. Unless you fired Carroll to promote him to HC. I don't see it happening.

DeFilppo would be a 1 yr rental.

Give me the failed HC that was an awesome OC. That way no one would be looking to steal him away from your org after only 1 yr.

This is absolutely terrible logic I'm sorry. You can't take a lesser coach because you think they may stay a little longer. Hire the best people possible, if that's DeFilippo - that's who you hire.
How do you know former HCs that were great OCs would be worse play callers than DeFilippo?

Per you, hiring DeFilippo means hes gone in a year.. soooo apparently you think he'd do a great job too?

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
FidelisHawk":1avpdnzl said:
Mojambo":1avpdnzl said:
NJlargent":1avpdnzl said:
Picking schottenheimer would kill the elation I have felt this week.

Why? What, exactly, do you know about his play-calling ability and offensive philosophies?

I know next to nothing about him, other than he's NEVER coordinated for a QB of Russell Wilson's caliber, but he was highly thought of when he worked with Drew Brees as QB coach.

Just because a guy has been around, doesn't mean he's not the right guy. (I have no idea if he's the right guy.)

FWIW

If Brian runs the same scheme as his father (and there’s no reason to think he won’t) it is the same as the Seahawks have used since Pete has arrived, politely called the “Air Coryell” offense, a precursor to the “West Coast” offense with more vertical throws down field, while still spreading the field with shorter throws to the outside and, of course the more famous “slant throws” off the line of scrimmage.

Used successfully by Don Coryell, Norv Turner, Marty Schottenheimer, and the Raiders under Al Davis, among others, this was the offense Bill Walsh used to develop the, now, more famous West Coast offense, that relies on YAC yards to compensate for deeper passes.

The scheme requires a QB that has the arm strength to throw a deep balls accurately, so it tends to flip flop back and forth between the two (by the number of deep passes) depending on the skill set of the QB. In a nutshell it stretches the field both horizontally and vertically, and (ironically) sets up the run with the pass.

Now, whether Brian can be successful with the Seahawks and Russell is an unknown, he’s had mediocre success with either injured or middling QB’s as an OC (Mark Sanchez, Chad Pennington, old Brett Favre, and a mostly injured Sam Bradford)

I say meh, if the Seahawks want a disciple of the Air Coryell offense, that has had success, I’d look toward Cam Cameron who did have success under Marty and John Harbaugh with that scheme, albeit with much better QB’s (Rivers and Flacco), most recently fired with Les Miles from LSU in 2016.

Cam will turn 57 in February.

57? It's not like we need him to suit up and play!

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":2saed5l1 said:
FidelisHawk":2saed5l1 said:
Mojambo":2saed5l1 said:
NJlargent":2saed5l1 said:
Picking schottenheimer would kill the elation I have felt this week.

Why? What, exactly, do you know about his play-calling ability and offensive philosophies?

I know next to nothing about him, other than he's NEVER coordinated for a QB of Russell Wilson's caliber, but he was highly thought of when he worked with Drew Brees as QB coach.

Just because a guy has been around, doesn't mean he's not the right guy. (I have no idea if he's the right guy.)

FWIW

If Brian runs the same scheme as his father (and there’s no reason to think he won’t) it is the same as the Seahawks have used since Pete has arrived, politely called the “Air Coryell” offense, a precursor to the “West Coast” offense with more vertical throws down field, while still spreading the field with shorter throws to the outside and, of course the more famous “slant throws” off the line of scrimmage.

Used successfully by Don Coryell, Norv Turner, Marty Schottenheimer, and the Raiders under Al Davis, among others, this was the offense Bill Walsh used to develop the, now, more famous West Coast offense, that relies on YAC yards to compensate for deeper passes.

The scheme requires a QB that has the arm strength to throw a deep balls accurately, so it tends to flip flop back and forth between the two (by the number of deep passes) depending on the skill set of the QB. In a nutshell it stretches the field both horizontally and vertically, and (ironically) sets up the run with the pass.

Now, whether Brian can be successful with the Seahawks and Russell is an unknown, he’s had mediocre success with either injured or middling QB’s as an OC (Mark Sanchez, Chad Pennington, old Brett Favre, and a mostly injured Sam Bradford)

I say meh, if the Seahawks want a disciple of the Air Coryell offense, that has had success, I’d look toward Cam Cameron who did have success under Marty and John Harbaugh with that scheme, albeit with much better QB’s (Rivers and Flacco), most recently fired with Les Miles from LSU in 2016.

I understand, but some posters want the next young Coordinator who could replace Carroll when the time comes. So I've been adding ages to my posts.

Personally I don't think 57 is very old at all :lol:

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
FidelisHawk":1mas7qzj said:
oldhawkfan":1mas7qzj said:
FidelisHawk":1mas7qzj said:
Mojambo":1mas7qzj said:

FWIW

I understand, but some posters want the next young Coordinator who could replace Carroll when the time comes. So I've been adding ages to my posts.

Personally I don't think 57 is very old at all :lol:

Cam Cameron was so bad he got fired in the middle of a playoff race by the Ravens. Cam Cameron couldn't coach a QB to save his life at LSU. Cam Cameron was miserable as HC of the Dolphins.

Hard hard hard pass.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
With no major rumors or interviewd to date I have to believe they are interested in coaches from the playoff teams.

1. Carmichael (OC of NO)
2. Haley (OC of Pit)
3. Dephillipo (QB of Phi)

A wildcard
Jason Michael (QB of Ten)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Wenhawk":gpch3cj6 said:
With no major rumors or interviewd to date I have to believe they are interested in coaches from the playoff teams.

1. Carmichael (OC of NO)
2. Haley (OC of Pit)

A wildcard

If that's their 3, I'd be very happy. Not sure about Jason Michael though, if anything the Titans staff needs to figure out how to use Mariota better than they have.

themunn

Reaction score
hawknation2018":2hu9n04r said:
My (admittedly limited) understanding is that Assisted Head Coach is considered a promotion in the NFL. If the Seahawks offered Carmichael the AHC title, they would therefore be free to pursue him as OC because it would not be considered a lateral move.

The Saints used the AHC title to poach their TEs Coach from Miami last year.

I think it's considered on the same level as OC/DC, so is still a lateral move, but useful for TE and OL coaches etc because they can't be interviewed for OC/DC positions without permission

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1cizujbu said:
Cam Cameron was so bad he got fired in the middle of a playoff race by the Ravens. Cam Cameron couldn't coach a QB to save his life at LSU. Cam Cameron was miserable as HC of the Dolphins.

Hard hard hard pass.

While I would disagree with some of your takes, he is a viable candidate, that runs the same scheme that Carroll prefers and had success doing it.

mistaowen

Reaction score
I would be thrilled with DeFilippo. Smart young guy, I really like the Eagles concepts he would bring. Plus, would challenge Russell.

DTWeW2sW4AIDl9T.jpg:large

original poster

Reaction score
mistaowen":1f145t5t said:
I would be thrilled with DeFilippo. Smart young guy, I really like the Eagles concepts he would bring. Plus, would challenge Russell.

DTWeW2sW4AIDl9T.jpg:large

Sounds amazing. Russ probably gets a pat on the back every Friday, not a test.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Wenhawk":9mb8nsd0 said:

1. Carmichael (OC of NO)
2. Haley (OC of Pit)

A wildcard

2/3 of those names are already OC's.. I know it's nice to believe our situation is so great that teams will jump at making a lateral move here/we could technically offer them an assistant coach title.

But is there much actual precedent for such a move? What especially makes it very unlikely is that the two teams mentioned are both great teams with bright futures.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":2uf45irk said:
Wenhawk":2uf45irk said:

1. Carmichael (OC of NO)
2. Haley (OC of Pit)

A wildcard

2/3 of those names are already OC's.. I know it's nice to believe our situation is so great that teams will jump at making a lateral move here/we could technically offer them an assistant coach title.

But is there much actual precedent for such a move? What especially makes it very unlikely is that the two teams mentioned are both great teams with bright futures.

The Steelers are rumored to want to part ways with Haley. That would have to happen first.

The Carmichael thing, I think thats a lot of wishful thinking for a small delegation of fans here, have a really hard time believing he'd be on their list but he's better than a lot of the names being bounced about by Seahawk fans.

Personally I think they're waiting for DeFilippo. Everything about him points to what they'd be looking for.

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3n0zpid9 said:
therealjohncarlson":3n0zpid9 said:
Wenhawk":3n0zpid9 said:

1. Carmichael (OC of NO)
2. Haley (OC of Pit)

A wildcard

The Steelers are rumored to want to part ways with Haley. That would have to happen first.

The Carmichael thing, I think thats a lot of wishful thinking for a small delegation of fans here, have a really hard time believing he'd be on their list but he's better than a lot of the names being bounced about by Seahawk fans.

Personally I think they're waiting for DeFilippo. Everything about him points to what they'd be looking for.

This I agree with 100%

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":226grtqr said:

Pete's looking for a lackey and past associate. I think it's likelier they look at John Morton, in that case, just to see the board blow up.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1kffpra4 said:
Hasselbeck":1kffpra4 said:

Pete's looking for a lackey and past associate. I think it's likelier they look at John Morton, in that case, just to see the board blow up.

I don't think that's the case anymore, and if they want Morton he's there right now. Normally you hear of an interview or two 24-48 hours after a firing. We have heard nothing. That tells me their desired candidates are still coaching right now.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2ifyxc0w said:
MontanaHawk05":2ifyxc0w said:
Hasselbeck":2ifyxc0w said:

I don't think that's the case anymore, and if they want Morton he's there right now. Normally you hear of an interview or two 24-48 hours after a firing. We have heard nothing. That tells me their desired candidates are still coaching right now.

This is why I'm hoping for an Eagles loss to get Defilippo in the building as soon as possible. Plus, he's a QB coach so it would be a promotion, not lateral in the case of others if Pete doesn't want to give out another AHC job. He did some awesome things with Wentz this year, I think he could really take Russell to the next level.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
mistaowen":e7nw8vnk said:
Hasselbeck":e7nw8vnk said:
MontanaHawk05":e7nw8vnk said:
Hasselbeck":e7nw8vnk said:

This is why I'm hoping for an Eagles loss to get Defilippo in the building as soon as possible. Plus, he's a QB coach so it would be a promotion, not lateral in the case of others if Pete doesn't want to give out another AHC job. He did some awesome things with Wentz this year, I think he could really take Russell to the next level.

His contract also ends this year, so really they don't even need to give him the AHC title, though that could be a sweetener to give him reason to ride it out until Pete retires. But yes, definitely root for Atlanta tomorrow.

Fade

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1ygvfci0 said:
Per you, hiring DeFilippo means hes gone in a year.. soooo apparently you think he'd do a great job too?
That isn't how it always works though.

HC & OC require two different skill sets. He has been earmarked already as the next young HC in this copycat league. He only has 1 yr of OC exp with the Browns. He is now suddenly great because he is Wentz' QB coach. He will be a HC as long as he doesn't screw it up in the next year. In other words he could be just okay, and would be hired a year later anyway. This league fires about 8 coaches a year, and somebody has to fill these spots. DeFilippo is next in line.

I personally would rather get a guy that has the track record of being a great OC, but is viewed as not HC material instead.

DeFilippo would potentially do a great job, but he is more HC material.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2nsmv42s said:
MontanaHawk05":2nsmv42s said:
Hasselbeck":2nsmv42s said:

Normally you also see coaches fired immediately. Bevell and Cable lasted three more days after the end of the final game. That Seattle operates normally is too convenient of an assumption.

Not that I want Morton that terribly much, but the cynical part of me thinks we end up with him. Pete firing Bevell and Cable doesn't mean he's changed. Just means he needed to sacrifice a couple of lambs.

Seymour

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3nt8xj78 said:
Hasselbeck":3nt8xj78 said:
MontanaHawk05":3nt8xj78 said:
Hasselbeck":3nt8xj78 said:

Normally you also see coaches fired immediately. Bevell and Cable lasted three more days after the end of the final game. That Seattle operates normally is too convenient of an assumption.

Not that I want Morton that terribly much, but the cynical part of me thinks we end up with him. Pete firing Bevell and Cable doesn't mean he's changed. Just means he needed to sacrifice a couple of lambs.

It wasn't 3 days after the final game, it was 11 days.

Latest posts