Off season thoughts

LTH

Reaction score
marko358":2iau9wk7 said:
LTH":2iau9wk7 said:
If the Hawks draft a WR he is not going to be real productive the first year as there is a huge learning curve...

Our playbook doesn't seem overly complicated so I'm not sure why our WRs need more than a year to develop...I mean we run 60% of the time anyway. Why do other teams find receivers who can make an impact in year one?

Who? I cant think of a receiver who has made a major impact as a rookie unless its jerry rice...

marko358

Reaction score
LTH":38mb0tb1 said:
marko358":38mb0tb1 said:
LTH":38mb0tb1 said:
If the Hawks draft a WR he is not going to be real productive the first year as there is a huge learning curve...

Our playbook doesn't seem overly complicated so I'm not sure why our WRs need more than a year to develop...I mean we run 60% of the time anyway. Why do other teams find receivers who can make an impact in year one?

Who? I cant think of a receiver who has made a major impact as a rookie unless its jerry rice...

**cough**

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... iver-class

**cough**

Numbers 1 through 5 on that list all have better numbers than our #1 receiver.

LTH

Reaction score
Im sure there are some but if you look at the number of receivers drafted the majority dont have impact seasons the first year.... maybe Im wrong its just my impression...

LTH

marko358

Reaction score
LTH":2sb85ot0 said:
Im sure there are some but if you look at the number of receivers drafted the majority dont have impact seasons the first year.... maybe Im wrong its just my impression...

LTH

I'm just challenging the notion that any WR we draft is automatically going to need a year to develop. I don't buy it.

Rat

Reaction score
LTH":1t6dp9cz said:
marko358":1t6dp9cz said:
LTH":1t6dp9cz said:

It used to be a rare thing (I remember when Terry Glenn going over 1000 as a rookie was a huge feat), but it happens a LOT more now. In recent years: Odell Beckham Jr, Kelvin Benjamin, Terrance Williams, Keenan Allen, AJ Green, Julio Jones, Torrey Smith, Calvin Johnson, Marques Colston, Anquan Boldin all had big rookie impacts, with quite a few more providing well above average production.

I wouldn't draft a guy and depend on him to transform our offense in year one, but there are some guys in this draft who have a great chance to be fast contributors.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
LTH":3mvnh5ye said:
marko358":3mvnh5ye said:
LTH":3mvnh5ye said:

Um, really? Did you not watch even last year? Heck did you watch the Divisional Playoff the Hawks played in? There was a certain rookie WR that caught 2 TDs that game

LTH

Reaction score
Rat":w141w684 said:
LTH":w141w684 said:
marko358":w141w684 said:
LTH":w141w684 said:

It used to be a rare thing (I remember when Terry Glenn going over 1000 as a rookie was a huge feat), but it happens a LOT more now. In recent years: Odell Beckham Jr, Kelvin Benjamin, Terrance Williams, Keenan Allen, AJ Green, Julio Jones, Torrey Smith, Calvin Johnson, Marques Colston, Anquan Boldin all had big rookie impacts, with quite a few more providing well above average production.

I wouldn't draft a guy and depend on him to transform our offense in year one, but there are some guys in this draft who have a great chance to be fast contributors.

As well most of those guys are high first round picks...The chances of finding a receiver to have an impact the first year picking at where we are picking from are slim..

netskier

Reaction score
Marko358, I keep wondering about the same thing, and have only guesses so far.

1. Perhaps because the other teams have more complex routes, and these provide a competitive advantage.

2. Perhaps receivers on other teams improve faster because they get more experience per week both in practice, and in games.

3. I don't believe this but other teams might be better at evaluating receiver talent.

4. Something else which hasn't been mentioned yet. Something like unknown unknowns.

Rat

Reaction score
LTH":2yl80idt said:
As well most of those guys are high first round picks...The chances of finding a receiver to have an impact the first year picking at where we are picking from are slim..

That's true with most positions. I'm not saying we're going to find a guy at #31 who'll go 100 and 1500 as a rookie, but I think it's possible to find someone who could have the kind of impact that wideouts like Jordan Matthews, Jarvis Landry, John Brown, Allen Hurns, Reuben Randle, etc did. Even late-season Richardson would be fine.

LTH

Reaction score
Rat":3t5z6q5p said:
LTH":3t5z6q5p said:

That's true with most positions. I'm not saying we're going to find a guy at #31 who'll go 100 and 1500 as a rookie, but I think it's possible to find someone who could have the kind of impact that wideouts like Jordan Matthews, Jarvis Landry, John Brown, Allen Hurns, Reuben Randle, etc did. Even late-season Richardson would be fine.

My original point was that chances are the 2nd year WR are going to have to step up for next year... not to say that they cant find a WR in the draft that can contribute, if any one can do it its JS and PC they are few and far between especally where we are picking...

RW was sacked 42 times this year and 44 times last year and that wasnt all on the OL some a lot of those were coverage sacks...if it were not for RW scrambling ability the sack total would have been much higher...

I see it as a problem even though they have been able to work around it with even Clutch plays such as the GB game... I dont see the offense as being as effeicient as they should be...

The interesting part about it is the Hawks have actually made it a strength in the ability to create a play on the go due to RW being able to keep the play alive and the receivers adjusting to wilson...... which throws a lot of D's off...street football...but in reality how long will it be before d's adjust like NE..

Maybe Richardson has a 50/50 or better shot at coming back from that ACL so chances are they willl draft a WR and depending on how they feel about the young WR and who falls in the draft it very well could be the first pick...

I really hope they clear some cap space cause I would like to see a WR with 2-3 years experience... a trade would be good IMO... probably not going to happen...

LTH

OP
OP
J

jackflash50

Reaction score
I had heard someone mention Vincent Jackson. If the #'s work I would love to see him in a Seahawks uniform. Would prob have to trade a 5th for him but the risk to reward is worth the pick they would have to trade to get him.

FargoHawk

Reaction score
Please stop with the Crabtree or Iupati requests.

Crabtree - did you not listen to what Schneider said yesterday? He wants guys who play hard. Crabtree is the opposite of this.

Iupati - Loved the big guy out if college but he can't stay healthy and has been terrible the last 2 years.

LTH

Reaction score
jackflash50":ne00jzt9 said:
I had heard someone mention Vincent Jackson. If the #'s work I would love to see him in a Seahawks uniform. Would prob have to trade a 5th for him but the risk to reward is worth the pick they would have to trade to get him.

Im not sure exactly who Carroll might think is the right guy to plug in but I definately think it would be worth a 5th round choice to find younger WR who has a couple of years experience in the NFL running routes as per a rookie who has none..

Just my take..

LTH

DJrmb

Reaction score
FargoHawk":2ikaz9x1 said:
Please stop with the Crabtree or Iupati requests.

Crabtree - did you not listen to what Schneider said yesterday? He wants guys who play hard. Crabtree is the opposite of this.

Iupati - Loved the big guy out if college but he can't stay healthy and has been terrible the last 2 years.

Thank you...

Crabtree would actually be the best fit for cost/need but no way he works on this team or in this locker room...

And NO THANK YOU to Iupati!!! He's an absolute stud at run blocking, sure, but he's a Turnstyle on passing downs. He had a -7.5 ranking in Pass Blocking by Pro Football Focus last year. He's overrated and would not be worth the cost at all. Don't we have enough guys that can run block and not pass block already? Those are the easiest type of lineman to find. If we upgrade at guard get someone that's at least competent in pass protection!

Give me Orlando Franklin. That would be an upgrade and he could play tackle in a pinch too.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to seeing more Kevin Pierre-Louis. He looked damn good before his injury. Truly a Pete Carroll kind of linebacker. And I'm hoping Norwood develops enough to show us more.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
olyfan63":2usxh9ub said:
I'm looking forward to seeing more Kevin Pierre-Louis. He looked damn good before his injury. Truly a Pete Carroll kind of linebacker. And I'm hoping Norwood develops enough to show us more.

Yeah, I think he'll be an absolute stud if he can manage to stay healthy.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
netskier":2zgzk9ff said:

1. Perhaps because the other teams have more complex routes, and these provide a competitive advantage.

2. Perhaps receivers on other teams improve faster because they get more experience per week both in practice, and in games.

3. I don't believe this but other teams might be better at evaluating receiver talent.

4. Something else which hasn't been mentioned yet. Something like unknown unknowns.

5. Or perhaps professional defensive backs are more polished and adept at stopping rookie WRs.

hawksurething

Reaction score
Don't care as long as we get a WR that demands double teams & are good in the red zone. Then get #2 WR that can beat single coverage vs good CBs. Then put Baldwin back in his natural spot in the slot where he can be better than Edelman.

RT Bulaga, newton,Pernell or free.

Slot CB Reynolds from last year's draft,pick him up from practice squad to shut down quick WRs like Edelman. Or even try Purifoy.

Draft 1st WR parker,strong,or beckham to learn from...say Marshall if we can't get Dez or Thomas.

Plenty of DEs in the 2nd round of the draft.

3rd Slot/KR dorsett or Agholor.

4th OGs later rounds.

You can read my full post of off season moves & use pro football focus ratings to see who is actually good. No Nate Washington since he don't demand double coverage.

hawksurething

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":2g623xuk said:
netskier":2g623xuk said:

5. Or perhaps professional defensive backs are more polished and adept at stopping rookie WRs.

Its because hawks has yet to draft a prototypical WR that attacks the ball,wins jump balls,hands catcher,runs decent routes for their size(6'2 & up WR always round their routes,but catch away from their frame anyways with long arms) defeats the press with ease, destroys single coverage & even double coverage vs any elite CB.

Speed is not a nessecity when your a physical 6'2 WR catching over CBs hanging all over you !

But hawks picked either frail speedsters like Paul or too slow big WRs like norwood & harper. When they could of had Benjamin, jordan Matthews,Landry or even Moncrief or M.Bryant. Landry catches every ball coming his way even though he is not that fast,but he is fast enough with great routes & attacks the ball like a maniac !

Bladwin is a great WR in the slot,but starting him on the outside is eventually going to get Russ hurt,since he can't get open fast enough for a 3 step drop & provide a safe target. Russ always has to wait or risk throwing a pick.

A prototypical #1 WR is open in a 3 step drop or even 1 step, which eliminates any chance of the hawks investment in QB from getting hurt. It also takes 8 out of the box making Lynch's life easier.

So let Paul heal this year, don't rush him back since he is a burner for the future.
This year the hawks have a chance to get a NFL proven #1 & draft a #1/#2 WR to learn from the all pro vet. And in case of injuries :)

Latest posts