Offense strategy is offensive

Cartire

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":nikwx9ho said:
Cartire":nikwx9ho said:
Yep, because Wilson's 4 horrible throws and Willsons 3 horrible drops are Bevells fault.

And the 1.2 seconds of pocket before its collapsed.

Can people seriously learn something new to complain about. You're doing it wrong.
...and you are complaining about the complainers, maybe you should take your own advice?

I guess Bevell didn't call those horrific bubble screens today that were epic failures, glad his posse still loves him though!

What are you talking about? Im not complaining at all. There were horrible throws. they happen. I can accept that unlike most of .net.

Pointing out the obvious is not the same as complaining. There were bad throws and drops in this game. None of which were Bevells fault. Try again. You failed this time.

hawk45

Reaction score
In-game awareness would have to be my biggest complaint this game. With the line and Wilson, nothing Bevell did would have made him look like a star today. So after we'd been running the ball really well (something which shocked me given the state of our line), Bevell went all-pass on like 2 straight drives, pulling the empty set favorite out of the pocket yet again. This is after seeing our run game get firsts with like 3 straight runs, and after watching Wilson just look shaky as hell passing the ball whenever called on to do it.

He went back to the run later on, and stayed with it very well, but at this point I'm thinking that is more because someone punched him in the nuts on the sideline than because he actually adjusted. I think that coaches are now on "Bevell-watch" for when he forgets about Lynch.

Don't get me started on him airing it out with a 13 pt lead and 4 minutes left to go in the game, nearly resulting in a pick.

pehawk

Reaction score
hawk45":3llzlgwy said:
In-game awareness would have to be my biggest complaint this game. With the line and Wilson, nothing Bevell did would have made him look like a star today. So after we'd been running the ball really well (something which shocked me given the state of our line), Bevell went all-pass on like 2 straight drives, pulling the empty set favorite out of the pocket yet again. This is after seeing our run game get firsts with like 3 straight runs, and after watching Wilson just look shaky as hell passing the ball whenever called on to do it.

He went back to the run later on, and stayed with it very well, but at this point I'm thinking that is more because someone punched him in the nuts on the sideline than because he actually adjusted. I think that coaches are now on "Bevell-watch" for when he forgets about Lynch.

Don't get me started on him airing it out with a 13 pt lead and 4 minutes left to go in the game, nearly resulting in a pick.

That's all really unfair. I mean, umm, well, umm

HawkerD

Reaction score
regardless of the injuries on the line, Bevell is not near the head of the OC class. Given the injuries you would think you would want to do a lot of quick release throws. Our pass offense is not very sophisticated. It is like a sandlot game where you tell the receivers to go out and "get open". I rarely if ever see any clear outs or rub routes. When you look at the all 22 most of the times our receivers are covered but that is because of the scheme not the receivers ability.

But the Bottom line is PC is comfortable with Bevell or he would be gone already, He has never shown himself to be an innovator (unless you consider stealing college plays innovative) and when our Defense was top 3 and Russell was digging the team out of holes it didn't matter that offense was just OK.

Now that we are in tighter games the Offensive scheme and the play calling matters. We haven't done squat with that bubble screen all year yet we keep calling it week after week, series after series. Either it is not drawn up correctly or we can't execute it. Either way dump it from the play book.

IF we do not get to the playoffs which is a real possibility, Bevell will be gone...Maybe!

hawk45

Reaction score
I should have given Pe credit for my obvious riff on his in-game awareness comment. I meant to say it was my biggest complaint *also*.

This wasn't a game whose pukiness I would pin on Bevell nor was it a game that had me clamoring to hit the fire Bevell button. Whether it was because he actually made an adjustment (to his own poor adjustment of going away from Lynch) or whether it was because someone inserted a sharp object (or rusty, blunt object) into his body cavity on the sidelines, he did get back to the run and pretty much stay with it...which...worked pretty well because the run blocking was there all day long.

getnasty

Reaction score
Pretty crazy too think about our offense at the end of 2012 and look at it now. Definitely cant pin it all on Bevell, you think about the fact the OLine is horrible and its not like you can max pertect and run 2 man routes with the WR's we have. At the same time he needs to be able to realize his limitations and find a better way to get the most out of everyone. I feel like Bevell also just wishes he can be successful without Marshawn, and sometimes gets away from him a way too much.

HawkEye

Reaction score
I have seen our offense being awful even with all our starters on the field. Bevell playcalling is just braindead sometimes, specially in 1st and 3rd downs.

If Baldwin and Richardson were running better routes, we wouldn't be calling Harvin a 'lost elite WR'

chris98251

Reaction score
It has been said our route trees are not NFL caliber, I take that to mean no reads on the defender and a option out of the called pattern like many other teams have. We run the pattern unless it's the scramble drill, now if I am a DC I study formations and the routes off them, I can make the defensive calls to cover them pretty easily if I know the receivers won't option out of them.

I said in another thread that it appears many times that we are tipping the defense, this could be a large reason.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":3968wumz said:
xgeoff":3968wumz said:
I've tried but I just can't buy into Darrell bevell's offense. Percy Harvin had 11 catches for over 120 yds today for the jets. For us, we only got him the ball in those stupid jet sweeps and bubble screens. I don't see our receivers getting good separation and I don't think it is their fault.

I think we need better set of plays and play calling.

He was catching dump offs in a loss.

Actually he got over 100 yards by catching a 42 yard bomb on the sidelines by beating a corner 1 on 1. It was a great play and he looked great in the game.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Also odd was the lack of play action after successful runs.

I've been quiet on Bevell to this point but I've got to agree with the detractors. Our offense looks uninspired and predictable. And I swear if I see more of those stupid bubble screens, I'm going to stab myself in the eyes.

getnasty

Reaction score
Dont worry now he'll wear out faking the bubble screen and throwing the go route on the outside since it worked a couple of times today.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
chris98251":9ko40nm7 said:
It has been said our route trees are not NFL caliber, I take that to mean no reads on the defender and a option out of the called pattern like many other teams have. We run the pattern unless it's the scramble drill, now if I am a DC I study formations and the routes off them, I can make the defensive calls to cover them pretty easily if I know the receivers won't option out of them.

I said in another thread that it appears many times that we are tipping the defense, this could be a large reason.
The guys on the NFL network pointed this out last year mid season. We just won anyway.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
hawk45":1sm77c46 said:

Good assessment. I was pissed off that he returned to his pass-first approach on first down at one critical point of the game. I also wish we had seen more play action. But all in all, Lynch got 21 carries and they won with an offensive line made up of some undrafted guys . . . one of whom was playing TE at Penn State a year and a half ago.

pehawk

Reaction score
hawk45":3uc3feka said:
I should have given Pe credit for my obvious riff on his in-game awareness comment. I meant to say it was my biggest complaint *also*.

This wasn't a game whose pukiness I would pin on Bevell nor was it a game that had me clamoring to hit the fire Bevell button. Whether it was because he actually made an adjustment (to his own poor adjustment of going away from Lynch) or whether it was because someone inserted a sharp object (or rusty, blunt object) into his body cavity on the sidelines, he did get back to the run and pretty much stay with it...which...worked pretty well because the run blocking was there all day long.

I was being sarcastic, hefe. I loathe the types that rush in to defend him, instantly, regardless of circumstances. I was mocking them.

canucklhead

Reaction score
Former Wisonsin QB, and if you know anything about Wisconsin football during the Barry Alvarez era their offense was about as imaginative as a thesis on roadkill.

Run Ron Dayne (or pick the featured RB at that time) up the gut on 1/2nd down, get into 3rd and shorts and either run Ron Dayne again or Dink and Dunk. It spanned numerous non-throwing QB's (Bevell being one of them) and RB's.

You are from where you learn.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
We are a run first, play action offense and the play action doesnt work because Wilson isnt selling it because he doesnt have line confidence.

At some point this season I believe the offense will come together and domintate.

As hard as the schedule has been, as poorly as the Hawks have played, there is still time. They are 5-3 playing without WAY too many starters/ key players/ pro bowlers.

The defense is still elite and that allows us to afford sitting guys to get them healthy.

WendellWent

Reaction score
Cartire":1chzbyd0 said:
Hawk Strap":1chzbyd0 said:
xgeoff":1chzbyd0 said:
Cartire":1chzbyd0 said:
Yep, because Wilson's 4 horrible throws and Willsons 3 horrible drops are Bevells fault.

And the 1.2 seconds of pocket before its collapsed.

Can people seriously learn something new to complain about. You're doing it wrong.

LOL! I'm not blaming Bevell for the poor line play, but I am just not seeing plays that put our receivers in positions where they are open as much as other teams do. I watch football all day on Sunday, and it just *seems* like other offenses are more imaginative and put their receivers in better situations to achieve separation and make plays.

When was the last time you saw a slant? How about a 7 yard crossing pattern? How about a TE going to a soft spot in the zone, how about a running back that is available for a checkdown?!

You are correct Bevell sucks.

Most games Wilson bails him out. Sometimes Lynch.

Also, Cable sucks

All the time. Watch the ALL-22. Im sorry. Seriously, watch it and stop with this insanity. Its becoming stale and bulls***. EXECUTION EXECUTION EXECUTION.

There are 11 people on that field that are not winning their battles whether you want to believe it or not. Our team is good. Our team isnt as good as you think. And its the executions that are failing. And not the playcalls.

I watch the all 22. Execution is a big part of it, but not all. At a certain point the OC has to realize that the execution isn't there, hasn't been there all season, and account for that. That is not happening. That isn't the players fault. So that knife cuts both ways.

Add to the fact that there are plays that HAVE been working, pretty consistently, and the OC goes away from them at critical points in the game. That is on the OC's shoulders as well.

Bevell is a good to great OC when things go his way. He is below average when they don't.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
It seems we never call an audible at the line of scrimmage. Never change routes do to what the def is showing. We run the play called no matter what. Maybe i'm wrong but I just never see the play changing.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The Seahawks need to improve their pass offense. Whether it's the playcalling, execution, or both something needs to happen and within the next few weeks before they play the Cards. The Cards are worst pass defense in the NFL. The Cards are ranked #32. This is somewhat surprising since they have 2 good CBs in Cromartie and Peterson.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/netPassingYardsPerGame/position/defense

Seahawks need to be able to take advantage of that. Unfortunately the Seahawks have one of the worst pass offenses in the league.

m0ng0

Reaction score
King Dog":ybqlzs43 said:
I don't know if it's Wilson, the offensive line or play calling.

yes, I would also add in Wr's that can't get open or catch it when they do get open.