Offensive coordinator candidates for 2024

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Okay. I mean, that's wrong. But okay.

Or maybe it's not. Football doesn't really matter.
I just haven't seen a difference in OCs in the past 10 years. Havent seen an offense that is consistent every single week. Haven't seen an offense that didn't give us shit to complain about.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I just haven't seen a difference in OCs in the past 10 years. Havent seen an offense that is consistent every single week. Haven't seen an offense that didn't give us shit to complain about.
Never will, either. There will be complaints regardless. The Eagles fans want to fire their OC who is running the ball at will with former draft bust D'Andre Swift on a 10-1 team. The Chiefs are on a suck ass stretch. Bills too. Chargers are wasting Herbert and that's with Kellen Moore.

We just need function. Football is a complementary game. The offense has to be able to hold up its end of the bargain. It'll never be perfect. It just has to contribute.

GemCity

Reaction score
Never will, either. There will be complaints regardless. The Eagles fans want to fire their OC who is running the ball at will with former draft bust D'Andre Swift on a 10-1 team. The Chiefs are on a suck ass stretch. Bills too. Chargers are wasting Herbert and that's with Kellen Moore.

We just need function. Football is a complementary game. The offense has to be able to hold up its end of the bargain. It'll never be perfect. It just has to contribute.
💯

Putsomest8nkonit

Reaction score
I don’t get it? Tyler Lockett looks like he is fading, The second fastest WR in the NFL (DK) can’t get a drag route for life of him. On Paper we have one of the best offensive looks. The offensive scheme looks terrible, we have to stick to play action to open up the passing game. Shane Waldron is terrible and this has been the worst offensive performance since we had Tavaris Jackson!!

James in PA

Reaction score
By the way, I'm giving Peter Clay Carroll one more week to can Waldron's ass. I know I said he needed to do it after the Niners game, until someone reminded me that we play 2 Thursdays in a row. But, after the Dallas game, we will finally get the mini bye.

CouchLogic

Reaction score
I mean, it has been a few hours since the last 'Fire the OC' thread.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Unfortunately firing Waldron now would probably make the offense even worse. Because that'd mean Pete would take over, or Nate Carroll, or some other lesser coach.

Also not Pete and John's style to fire people mid season.

But yes, it's obvious Waldron isn't a good fit with this team and HC. No way in hell this offense should look this bad with an embarrassment of skill position talent.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
So, my question is:

How the **** did he START so well. Or was the wild start from last season a combo of new Geno and Waldo, with opponents just not having any film?

Did they just get 'figured out' post Munich? I don't 'think' so - 'cause we're not running the same looks and plays as pre-munich.

Did he just start to suck hard on his own?

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Not having an OC is a bold strategy.
Steelers canned Canada and they just had their first 400 yard performance in 50 games or something crazy like that.

Sometimes, the coach's incompetence just holds the team back. There has to be someone else currently on the staff that has the ability to put together a coherent offensive game plan

HawkFreak

Reaction score
Steelers canned Canada and they just had their first 400 yard performance in 50 games or something crazy like that.

Sometimes, the coach's incompetence just holds the team back. There has to be someone else currently on the staff that has the ability to put together a coherent offensive game plan
Do a team survey and compile each player's favorite offensive plays and just run a random assortment of those. Could be accomplished fairly easily with a paper slip / hat draw method. Maybe that mixes it up enough to partially confuse the opposing defenses?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
So, my question is:

How the **** did he START so well. Or was the wild start from last season a combo of new Geno and Waldo, with opponents just not having any film?

Did they just get 'figured out' post Munich? I don't 'think' so - 'cause we're not running the same looks and plays as pre-munich.

Did he just start to suck hard on his own?

To my novice football eyes, I see a smart coordinator who's very adept at all the McVay/Shanahan coaching tree layered sequential deceptive schemes and playcall.............but who struggles with the adjustment parts of the game. Both in-game/in real time and halftime adjustments.

Why else does our early game scripted playcalling usually look really good until the other team adjusts, and then the offense turns to crap for the rest of quarters and even entire games?

There's a disconnect and deficiency with Waldron and Pete trying to adjust. Which is arguably 75% of playcalling and scheming. It's a chess match, and our offensive coaches and players are losing the adjustment chess match. Badly most games.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I'll play devils advocate. I'm not going to argue Waldron has been good because I think he has a lot of room for improvement. a lot. But I think Pete deserves more blame than almost anyone wants to admit on here. I just watched a video showing the heat maps of where Geno has been throwing this year. The middle of the field is non-existent. It's all outside the hashes and deep or at the line of scrimmage. So the questio is why is that? Is it more likely that Waldron, who came from the Rams, an offense with a ton of pre-snap motion, passes in the middle of the field, Rollouts, outside zone runs, stretches, end arounds, sweeps etc decided he wanted to get away from all of that OR Is it Pete who has talked about for years about how he likes to pound the rock up the middle and set up deep shots to get the explosives? I guess I don't understand why people keep thinking this is Waldron when it looks nothing like the offensive system he was raised in and not the guy who has been the head coach where all of these problems have persisted for a decade.

Geno was great in the middle of the field last year, especially early on too so its something he can do very well. Then he hit a rough patch.....I think its most likely Pete overcorrected because of his aversion to turnovers and dictated the offense run outside the hashes to avoid turnovers.

I get it everyone loves Pete for what he did and they should, but I'm baffled that everone thinks this is a Shaen Waldron problem and not a Pete problem. So my football guys where am I wrong? Why does the evidence point to this being mostly a Waldron problem and not a Pete issue as I see it? I'm open to being wrong so truly interested in what I'm missing here.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'll play devils advocate. I'm not going to argue Waldron has been good because I think he has a lot of room for improvement. a lot. But I think Pete deserves more blame than almost anyone wants to admit on here. I just watched a video showing the heat maps of where Geno has been throwing this year. The middle of the field is non-existent. It's all outside the hashes and deep or at the line of scrimmage. So the questio is why is that? Is it more likely that Waldron, who came from the Rams, an offense with a ton of pre-snap motion, passes in the middle of the field, Rollouts, outside zone runs, stretches, end arounds, sweeps etc decided he wanted to get away from all of that OR Is it Pete who has talked about for years about how he likes to pound the rock up the middle and set up deep shots to get the explosives? I guess I don't understand why people keep thinking this is Waldron when it looks nothing like the offensive system he was raised in and not the guy who has been the head coach where all of these problems have persisted for a decade.

Geno was great in the middle of the field last year, especially early on too so its something he can do very well. Then he hit a rough patch.....I think its most likely Pete overcorrected because of his aversion to turnovers and dictated the offense run outside the hashes to avoid turnovers.

I get it everyone loves Pete for what he did and they should, but I'm baffled that everone thinks this is a Shaen Waldron problem and not a Pete problem. So my football guys where am I wrong? Why does the evidence point to this being mostly a Waldron problem and not a Pete issue as I see it? I'm open to being wrong so truly interested in what I'm missing here.

Not sure what you're saying here. Are you saying Pete's instructing Waldron go against an obvious successful scheme formula?

The reason you're seeing so many long routes is because we're always in damn 2nd/3rd and long. That's the question we need to answer, not the playcalls themselves.

Too many dumb pre-snap procedural penalties. To much Geno not getting rid of the ball and taking sacks. Too many unsuccessful 1st down run plays due to poor blocking/predictable plays.

Maybe Pete is meddling. Maybe he's not meddling enough when things aren't going well. But if you're putting blame on Pete for hindering someone who otherwise would be a successful playcaller? That doesn't really make a lot of sense.

Things going well..........................AHH HELL NO NOT ON MY WATCH, I'M GONNA MEDDLE!

cymatica

Reaction score

It's also Shane. Shane was the one who abandon the run game with the lead in the 2nd half in the Rams game, he likes to forget the run game quite a bit. Geno hasn't had a ton of turnovers throwing over the middle, so I don't see why Pete would panic and insist on throwing outside the numbers. I doubt Pete is over his shoulder on every play call, so it was Shane who repeatedly ran up the gut against Baltimore when their bread n butter is stopping runs up the gut, he could have easily called more outside runs. Shane called that genius 4th and 1 shotgun run that had Fant on Bosa, yeah Pete should have stopped that but Shane did call it.

It's definitely both of them, and it's quite possible Pete completely neutered Shane and insists on his play it safe outside throws, but Shane also has royally screwed up in the play calling department.

cymatica

Reaction score
Not sure what you're saying here. Are you saying Pete's instructing Waldron go against an obvious successful scheme formula?

The reason you're seeing so many long routes is because we're always in damn 2nd/3rd and long. That's the question we need to answer, not the playcalls themselves.
Pete said himself their plan was to attack the 49ers with deep shots, and it looks like that was their plan on Baltimore. KJ said they would run go routes with DK in practice way too often, and we see Geno throwing a lot of those that get broken up. Pete has gone on record saying he likes to throw outside the numbers.

Yeah, I would say Pete is negativity influencing Waldron in general, but Waldron is also doing a poor job with what he has

Ozzy

Reaction score

Too many dumb pre-snap procedural penalties. To much Geno not getting rid of the ball and taking sacks. Too many unsuccessful 1st down run plays due to poor blocking/predictable plays.

Maybe Pete is meddling. Maybe he's not meddling enough when things aren't going well. But if you're putting blame on Pete for hindering someone who otherwise would be a successful playcaller? That doesn't really make a lot of sense.

Things going well..........................AHH HELL NO NOT ON MY WATCH, I'M GONNA MEDDLE!
I do think you’re right, some of it is situationally for sure. But looking at the passing charts there are games with zero attempts to that part of the field and even during weeks we’ve played fairly well so I don’t think it’s all of it. It just fits too perfectly with what Pete has preached as his way to play offense. I also think Pete is so anti turnover(and that’s not a bad thing) that he could potentially overreact in a sense to it, especially at 70+ years old.

It just doesn’t make sense to carry over almost zero of the Rams style offense which it currently appears to be the case.

So I see your point that it doesn’t make sense that Pete would hinder his play caller but when you weigh that with his style of offense and what he preaches I really don’t see the alternative as being more feasible.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Merged… into one of a few recent “Shane Waldron needs to go” related threads.

Please.. check the other threads before starting a new thread on a topic that’s already being discussed.. especially when you just created the account. Shows little effort.