Officiating Chargers vs Seahawks

Msfann

Reaction score
jammerhawk":29ezowh9 said:
We had a drive taken away with that bogus pick (OPI) call and they were given 7 points on that total nonsense, supposed “I couldn’t tell conclusively he was out of bounds”, BS. The personal foul on Fluker was marginal but the one on Sweezy was crappola as the play was not over. They got away with quite a few personal fouls late hits, Pi’s or holding plays There were lots more examples of uneven calls non-calls or nonsense calls. I can’t recall that I have ever watched such a poorly called game, seemed as if the crew had their marching orders or a hard agenda and carried it off. The referees helped ensure a Seattle loss.

Hoculi Jr. is a carbon copy of his weak sauce father. Every play where the team made a potential game changing positive play the offials evened things out for the Chargers, regularly tilting the fieLd. Ican hardly wait to see what BS is served up next week in LA by another supposedly independent officiating crew.

It is going to be a long stretch before the team is going to be allowed to play football w/o being screwed over.

In the end though, the Chargers were better on O than the Hawks, they made fewer mistakes, and had no costly unforced errors. Rivers outplayed Wilson, they stuffed the Hawks run, and played better than Seattle. The Hawks were slow to adjust, had few answers and yet in the end made the end of the game disappointingly interesting. Too little too late.

Geez I hate kvetching about referees but today had me tipped over.

Well said. :2thumbs:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
mikeak":1smvbbf3 said:
I saw at least two PI calls that could and should have been called against the Seattle defense

Guys - you need to look at things more objectively

Yes the TD was strange but I put the possible explanation above and in addition the review is NOT done by the Ref on the field
I don't think that there is anybody claiming that the Seahawks played perfectly, but Ref's do make more than their fair SHARE of Mistakes, shit happens, even the lopsided shit that went on yesterday.
I think MOST folks would agree that Ref's need to clean up their messes.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
mikeak":4h6cjejn said:
I saw at least two PI calls that could and should have been called against the Seattle defense

Yes the TD was strange but I put the possible explanation above and in addition the review is NOT done by the Ref on the field

Why, because Rivers was crying like the baby that he is? He wanted PI on every incomplete pass. Those plays were fine.

Look, I agree that the conspiracy stuff is probably a bit far reaching, but the incompetent reffing in some of these games is real . And when the incompetence mostly impacts your team....and at crushing, drive stalling times, well then yes, we are going to talk about it.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":30jqarw3 said:
Was it Britt who go the late hit call?

Baldwin catches it, they intentionally hold him up to strip the ball out, not letting him get down to end the play. Here comes Britt, wham! trying to knock the pile forward, and knock everyone down to end the play before the ball pops out.

And here comes the flag, "late hit". We re-wound that a couple times, the whistle comes after all that, at least 2-3 seconds after he hits the pile. C'mon refs, blow your whistle and end the play or let it continue. You can't penalize a guy for a late hit with out blowing the whistle.
That was an INTENTIONAL chickenshit call by the Refs (who swallowed their whistles on that play)

quadsas

Reaction score
There were some bad calls, but it's not like they haven't missed two blatant DPIs on Chargers 3rd downs, forcing them to punt. The most annoying call was the UR on Britt. After play was over??? You didn't even blow the god damn whistle you moron

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
mikeak":20fi2urn said:

Whatever calls you saw that were missed still equate to SHITY officiating.

The replay or review guy is still one of the “officials”.

The officiating of this game was piss poor, period.

End of story.

Yea, we’re complaining about a couple of major miss cues that went against the Seahawks, and that’s the Homer in us but the calls you mentioned only bolster our argument, they don’t discount it even a little.

mikeak

Reaction score
pmedic920":8b4zpc0b said:
mikeak":8b4zpc0b said:

Whatever calls you saw that were missed still equate to SHITY officiating.

The replay or review guy is still one of the “officials”.

The officiating of this game was piss poor, period.

End of story.

Yea, we’re complaining about a couple of major miss cues that went against the Seahawks, and that’s the Homer in us but the calls you mentioned only bolster our argument, they don’t discount it even a little.

Fair point - my arguments noted did nothing to make the officials "better"

But it did counter those in this thread that believe the NFL is rigged and the Seahawks are on the "screw them list"

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":39pma1gp said:

Baldwin catches it, they intentionally hold him up to strip the ball out, not letting him get down to end the play. Here comes Britt, wham! trying to knock the pile forward, and knock everyone down to end the play before the ball pops out.

And here comes the flag, "late hit". We re-wound that a couple times, the whistle comes after all that, at least 2-3 seconds after he hits the pile. C'mon refs, blow your whistle and end the play or let it continue. You can't penalize a guy for a late hit with out blowing the whistle.

I was actually ok with that call. As soon as Justin came bull rushing in, I knew the flag was coming. The Williams TD (obviously) and the so called offensive PI (pick) on Moore or Brown (cant remember) that went for a 1st down were the ones that got me.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":7lk4973l said:
twisted_steel2":7lk4973l said:

I was actually ok with that call. As soon as Justin came bull rushing in, I knew the flag was coming. The Williams TD (obviously) and the so called offensive PI (pick) on Moore or Brown (cant remember) that went for a 1st down were the ones that got me.

Yeah, Britt didnt hit the pile.. he just took a shot at a guy standing there.

thought it was soft, but knew the flag was coming.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance, but is it always a penalty to hit a pile when the whistle hasn't blown?

Couldn't Britt argue he was pushing the pile forward for extra yardage?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
mikeak":2xg8ugmp said:
But it did counter those in this thread that believe the NFL is rigged and the Seahawks are on the "screw them list"

The funny part is that if a player pretty clearly stepping out of bounds and still being awarded a touchdown is a sign of the NFL being rigged against one team, even if we just limit this rigging to the Seahawks vs. the Chargers, that still doesn't get us anywhere.

For our comparison point, all we have to do is go back to the last time the Seahawks played the Chargers, when Percy Harvin very clearly stepped out of bounds before being awarded a touchdown 50 yards later (the NFL even had to formally apologize for that one).

My guess is the vast majority of Seahawks fans have completely forgotten about this, as it majorly gets in the way of believing the NFL is rigged against them. Not so much Chargers fans. :lol:

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
GeekHawk":1phfcdhi said:
BoltonWanderer":1phfcdhi said:
It was very difficult to watch, I hated the calls against Fluker and Britt but their touchdown when a foot was clearly out was ridiculous. Very frustrating to have so many bad calls throughout a game, and I'm typically a defender of sports referees. This was atrociously bad though, the NFL needs to look at punishing the officials involved or get them some additional training.

So, the NFL fired an official earlier this year but nobody knows why. Supposedly it was for some bad decisions, but objectively nobody can say what he did that was way worse than anyone else. Which makes me wonder if he was fired for calling a game straight-up when the NFL wanted it steered...

I really hate to think that the NFL has become the WWE. I don't watch pre-ordained crap like that, or "reality" shows, but I like to watch football. I don't want that to change. Much more of this crap and I'll need to re-assess.

I've slowly over the years transitioned to college football - with all the ridiculous rules in the NFL, it is becoming the NBA. Becoming not fun to even watch. Hell, I even watched a rugby game last sunday before whatever the hell the Chargers game mess was.

rcaido

Reaction score
Popeyejones":fzexz0an said:
mikeak":fzexz0an said:

The funny part is that if a player pretty clearly stepping out of bounds and still being awarded a touchdown is a sign of the NFL being rigged against one team, even if we just limit this rigging to the Seahawks vs. the Chargers, that still doesn't get us anywhere.

For our comparison point, all we have to do is go back to the last time the Seahawks played the Chargers, when Percy Harvin very clearly stepped out of bounds before being awarded a touchdown 50 yards later (the NFL even had to formally apologize for that one).

My guess is the vast majority of Seahawks fans have completely forgotten about this, as it majorly gets in the way of believing the NFL is rigged against them. Not so much Chargers fans. :lol:

The difference in the Harvin TD is that the on-field officials didn't stop play to look at the TD.

This TD they actually replayed it & watch it with scrutiny and still found a way to call it TD. This is almost as bad as the crap call in the Broncos TD this year where they initially called it incomplete, had a conference and called it TD before the replay. Since call of the field says TD, they didn't have enough evidence to overturn the call.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Bob, of BG&T is a fairly reserved, albeit opinionated radio host who doesn't jump to conclusions, and he said the officiating was bad, but on both sides of the ball.

I have a pet theory that the officials make ticky tack calls against the Seahawks so that the other team can get up on the score then force the Seahawks in to errors, pass only offense etc. Once that happens, they "even it up," but it's already too late as once one team gets up on the other, they have a distinct advantage and control the play of the game.

It could be fantasy, but it seems to fit some games.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Hawkpower":bhml4ul0 said:
Forgive my ignorance, but is it always a penalty to hit a pile when the whistle hasn't blown?

Yep, they did it with Marshawn Lynch quite regularly.
Look, it wasn't like Britt went out of bounds to knock one of the Chargers Coaches on their ass.
Whistle doesn't blow----the play is still alive.

jmahon316

Reaction score
Hawkpower":1pp9g33s said:

Not even kidding, I instantly started to get a weird vibe when they didn't blow the whistle and the players kept adding up, I started questioning what was going on. It was at this moment that I saw Britt hit the pile to push it forward and INSTANTLY heard the whistle blow and KNEW they were just waiting to throw that flag. It's sad when you as a fan can see what the refs are up to before they even do it.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
jmahon316":kwjw8kmg said:
Hawkpower":kwjw8kmg said:

Not even kidding, I instantly started to get a weird vibe when they didn't blow the whistle and the players kept adding up, I started questioning what was going on. It was at this moment that I saw Britt hit the pile to push it forward and INSTANTLY heard the whistle blow and KNEW they were just waiting to throw that flag. It's sad when you as a fan can see what the refs are up to before they even do it.

What is even more distressing is they had Doug Baldwin in the air trying to strip the ball. Then Britt comes in and moves the pile toward the goal line....the rest is a whistle away.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
rcaido":1313th06 said:
Popeyejones":1313th06 said:
mikeak":1313th06 said:

The difference in the Harvin TD is that the on-field officials didn't stop play to look at the TD.

This TD they actually replayed it & watch it with scrutiny and still found a way to call it TD. This is almost as bad as the crap call in the Broncos TD this year where they initially called it incomplete, had a conference and called it TD before the replay. Since call of the field says TD, they didn't have enough evidence to overturn the call.

As for what my point was, I think this is splitting hairs. It would be like a Chargers fan coming in and saying that the difference is we could see Harvin clearly plant off his foot while out of bounds whereas for this most recent one it's at least possible his heel didn't touch in the out bounds because he was pushing off with the front of his foot which was in bounds. Or a Chargers fan could say it's not the same cuz the Chargers got a free TD from 8 yards out and the Hawks got a free TD from 50 yards out.

Those things are true too, but they're hair splitting as to what my point was.

As far as games being rigged against the Seahawks go, the real difference with the Harvin TD is that it was a clearly blown call that helped the Hawks instead of hurting the Hawks.

That it happened to be the same blown call against the same opponent the last time they played each other is just icing.