Officiating during yesterdays game.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Is anyone going to talk about this? During the fake Cards field goal the Hawks were not given a chance to substitute. The Cards got 7 when they should have gotten none (or 3 at most). Also the DK catch ruled not a catch. Several other horrible calls. I actually turned it off after the DK “non catch”. It matters not that we won (it really should have not been that close) it makes for shitty viewing. I am losing my taste for watching NFL due to officiating getting increasingly worse in a time of high definition cameras angles in a billion $ industry. What say you all?

cymatica

Reaction score
There's really zero excuse for not letting the defense substitute. I've seen several games where the ref stands there in front of the ball and the play clock burns down. Another brain fart moment by the refs because they probably got caught off guard from the play

Last week, I want to say the Huskies game, they were forced to burn a timeout because Texas took their time substituting and the play clock kept running. Not sure how that is even allowed, the play clock should not run down while a defense is doing that.

renofox

Reaction score
The rules say the refs must allow time for substitutions when the defense actually makes substitutions. Did anybody see our coaching staff try to make substitutions?

Nope. They just stood there with the patented "PC Gaze of Cluelessness" with their mouths hanging open until the play was over.

hinton

Reaction score
The rules say the refs must allow time for substitutions when the defense actually makes substitutions. Did anybody see our coaching staff try to make substitutions?

Nope. They just stood there with the patented "PC Gaze of Cluelessness" with their mouths hanging open until the play was over.

We know Pete's living rent-free in your head at this point but there'e enough genuine reasons to criticise the guy without flat-out lying. PC was flying down the sideline screaming at the refs and the TV team showed about 4 different angles of this. The ref was the one who looked like he'd just woken from a 10 year slumber.

hinton

Reaction score
The refs had all pretty much checked out the entire game. There were a fair amount of holding on the Cards runs what were completely missed, which were blatant watching in real-time.

That said, I don't actually mind the refs keeping their flags and letting players play.

What does bug me is that we didn't do the same back. No Seahawks coach seemed to say to our OL "guys they're not calling anything today, so hold like your life depends on it". It would have made the game a lot more comfortable if we had.

renofox

Reaction score
We know Pete's living rent-free in your head at this point but there'e enough genuine reasons to criticise the guy without flat-out lying. PC was flying down the sideline screaming at the refs and the TV team showed about 4 different angles of this. The ref was the one who looked like he'd just woken from a 10 year slumber.
Do you mean when PC said on his Monday show that "I wasn't signaling for a time out. I guess I should have done that"?

The "coaches standing around" I was referring to were those responsible for substitutions. Obviously. Only a moron would think I was talking about PC.

A liar calling me a liar.

Typical.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
The refs had all pretty much checked out the entire game. There were a fair amount of holding on the Cards runs what were completely missed, which were blatant watching in real-time.

That said, I don't actually mind the refs keeping their flags and letting players play.

What does bug me is that we didn't do the same back. No Seahawks coach seemed to say to our OL "guys they're not calling anything today, so hold like your life depends on it". It would have made the game a lot more comfortable if we had.
What makes you think the refs would not have called against us if we tried to hold?

hinton

Reaction score
What makes you think the refs would not have called against us if we tried to hold?
The fact we had no penalties against us all game makes me think the refs were taking the day off :ROFLMAO: , we've been committing stupid dead-ball and roughness calls all season.

True, the refs may have decided to call holding against us and kept ignoring it on the Cards (I'm not a conspiracy theorist and don't believe for a second that an officiating crew would bias the game away from the Hawks and towards the Cards) but I'd far rather our coached pick up on it, instruct the players, then give the refs the decision to make.

hinton

Reaction score
Do you mean when PC said on his Monday show that ≈?

The "coaches standing around" I was referring to were those responsible for substitutions. Obviously. Only a moron would think I was talking about PC.

Typical.

This is just amusing now:

1. I wonder why you didn't share the full Carroll comment which was along the lines of "I was sprinting down the sideline yelling for a time out. I wasn't signaling for a time out. I guess I should have done that"

2. "A liar calling me a liar." Find me one thing I've lied about on this forum.

You are to the anti-Pete crowd what John63 was to the pro-Russ crowd, but hey, whatever makes you happy I guess. It just feels a bit pathetic to me that while there's easily enough facts and reality to warrant a discussion about moving on from Pete but you feel the need to resort to distorting things out of context.

Last edited:

xray

Reaction score
Folks complain about officiating even when the Hawks win .

hinton

Reaction score
Folks complain about officiating even when the Hawks win .
Hah, fair point.

From my perspective it would have been nice if the officials actually turned up, because they did nothing all day.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Do you mean when PC said on his Monday show that "I wasn't signaling for a time out. I guess I should have done that"?

Typical.
Pete has a history of getting too excited and not signaling for timeout in time and it costing them. A few years ago when we got down to the 1 against the Niners and he was jumping up and down and we ended up getting a delay of game(I think?) or whatever and it probably costing us the game and division if I remember correctly.

hinton

Reaction score
Pete has a history of getting too excited and not signaling for timeout in time and it costing them. A few years ago when we got down to the 1 against the Niners and he was jumping up and down and we ended up getting a delay of game(I think?) or whatever and it probably costing us the game and division if I remember correctly.
True.

I'm not even pro=Pete at this point. I'm just pointing out those to try and distort things out of context to enforce their point.

1. Pete should know when calling for a TO to both yell and signal (you gotta assume the refs are dumb)
2. The refs should actually know the D is allowed to substitute
3. I need caffeine

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Yeah the refs suck. League wide! The Seahawks had 0 penalties. But let’s bitch about a win because the other team didn’t have enough penalties. :rolleyes:

renofox

Reaction score
This is just amusing now:

1. I wonder why you didn't share the full Carroll comment which was along the lines of "I was sprinting down the sideline yelling for a time out. I wasn't signaling for a time out. I guess I should have done that"

2. "A liar calling me a liar." Find me one thing I've lied about on this forum.

You are to the anti-Pete crowd what John63 was to the pro-Russ crowd, but hey, whatever makes you happy I guess. It just feels a bit pathetic to me that while there's easily enough facts and reality to warrant a discussion about moving on from Pete but you feel the need to resort to distorting things out of context.
And yet you never addressed my points.

You're whining about the refs not allowing substitutions even though the Seahawks coaching staff never attempted to make substitutions.

You're whining about the refs not allowing a timeout even though PC never signaled for a timeout.

You're whining about me being a liar even though the facts I stated were all true. There was no distortion. Just a lack of reading comprehension and a failure to apply logic. Calling someone a liar who is telling the truth makes you a liar.

When in doubt, deflect to false ad hominem. Pathetic.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Is anyone going to talk about this? During the fake Cards field goal the Hawks were not given a chance to substitute. The Cards got 7 when they should have gotten none (or 3 at most). Also the DK catch ruled not a catch. Several other horrible calls. I actually turned it off after the DK “non catch”. It matters not that we won (it really should have not been that close) it makes for shitty viewing. I am losing my taste for watching NFL due to officiating getting increasingly worse in a time of high definition cameras angles in a billion $ industry. What say you all?

I'll say the same thing that I would tell opposing team fans whenever the Hawks were winning close games and they were pointing to questionable calls/non-calls as the reason they lost. Losers cry about the refs, there's enough football on the field to show which team is truly better. The Hawks are a slightly below average team this year, there is always enough football on the field for the team to show who they are (or are not).

hinton

Reaction score
And yet you never addressed my points.

You're whining about the refs not allowing substitutions even though the Seahawks coaching staff never attempted to make substitutions.

You're whining about the refs not allowing a timeout even though PC never signaled for a timeout.

You're whining about me being a liar even though the facts I stated were all true. There was no distortion. Just a lack of reading comprehension and a failure to apply logic. Calling someone a liar who is telling the truth makes you a liar.

When in doubt, deflect to false ad hominem. Pathetic.
I respond to your 2 points directly.

You then fail to respond to either of my replied to those two points (likely because you realise you where wrong on both counts).

Then, you move the goalposts... and somehow accusing me of moving them. You throw in a few disparaging words like 'pathetic' and 'liar' too, blissfully unaware of the hypocrisy,

Even your inability to directly answer a question is ironically Pete Carroll-esque.

But hey, whatever gets you through the day I guess.

renofox

Reaction score
I respond to your 2 points directly.

You then fail to respond to either of my replied to those two points (likely because you realise you where wrong on both counts).

Then, you move the goalposts... and somehow accusing me of moving them. You throw in a few disparaging words like 'pathetic' and 'liar' too, blissfully unaware of the hypocrisy,

Even your inability to directly answer a question is ironically Pete Carroll-esque.

But hey, whatever gets you through the day I guess.
I probably shouldn't respond to your sanctimony. But I'll try one last time to help you clear up your confusion.

My first post was in response to those who were blaming the refs for not allowing substitutions. I put forth the FACT that the coaching staff did not try to make any substitutions. Since PC is not the one who directs substitutions, there was no reason for me to bring him up.

You then called me a liar for not bringing up PC and his running ineffectually down the sidelines. I responded with PC's statements from his Monday show where he admitted that he never made a timeout signal and that it was his mistake. I also called you out for calling me a liar when everything I said was true and on point. You doubled down on my supposed intentionally distorting things by not including every single word used by PC, even though I used enough of his statement, in context, to address the topic.

I talked about substitutions. You called me a liar for not talking about PC. I responded directly on the new topic. You said I didn't respond and somehow moved the goalposts.

Reading comprehension is a good thing. You should try it sometime. This is my last attempt at conversation with you until your dialogue becomes less addled.

hinton

Reaction score
I probably shouldn't respond to your sanctimony. But I'll try one last time to help you clear up your confusion.

My first post was in response to those who were blaming the refs for not allowing substitutions. I put forth the FACT that the coaching staff did not try to make any substitutions. Since PC is not the one who directs substitutions, there was no reason for me to bring him up.

You then called me a liar for not bringing up PC and his running ineffectually down the sidelines. I responded with PC's statements from his Monday show where he admitted that he never made a timeout signal and that it was his mistake. I also called you out for calling me a liar when everything I said was true and on point. You doubled down on my supposed intentionally distorting things by not including every single word used by PC, even though I used enough of his statement, in context, to address the topic.

I talked about substitutions. You called me a liar for not talking about PC. I responded directly on the new topic. You said I didn't respond and somehow moved the goalposts.

Reading comprehension is a good thing. You should try it sometime. This is my last attempt at conversation with you until your dialogue becomes less addled.
No confusion here, and you really don't need to try and force false sanctimony on my posts in order to try and gain any perceived morale high ground.

1. You deliberately misquoted Pete, presumably because you dislike him.
2. I corrected you.
3. Rather than acknowledging or refuting it you've then called me a 'liar', 'pathetic', 'lack reading comprehension', 'confused', and 'sanctimonious'. You;ve also moved the goalposts and tried just about everything possible to discredit my posts.

Dude... whatever makes you feel better :ROFLMAO: .

I'm just here to take Seahawks with people who understand the game and can speak objectively, and have a few laughs along the way... which is why I'm gonna end my involvement our fun little dialogue here (though I must admit it has helped with the latter of the reasons I'm here). I hope it's brought a little smile to anyone else reading this thread for entertainment purposes too.