Ok. QBOTF. Who/when/where/why & how?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Penix would work for me! I just think, even with the injury history, he’s going to go a lot higher than folks think.

I see him being the 2nd or 3rd QB taken.

For the first time this year, I watched him play (vs USC) and thought there’s no way he makes it out of the first round.

Penix is an interesting debate for sure. He's been with DeBoer so long, so he is just a REALLY good system QB.

Or does he transcend a system and make him a viable NFL QB? He definitely has the arm and accuracy, and he's tough and smart. So I do think he's going to make a good NFL QB. Health and weird throwing delivery would be the negatives for me. Got a weird side arm action.

But it's an interesting discussion for sure.

sutz

Reaction score
I agree. I'm still disappointed Lock didn't play the 4th quarter in Baltimore. Makes zero sense to me
Read in the paper today that one of the reasons Pete didn't put Lock in late was to avoid the potential QB controversy talk that it would encourage. ;)

Optimus25

Reaction score
The Seahawks don't draft QBs. We'll end up with someone else's leftovers...

Cousins could win it all for us in his twilight years, something like that, I bet.

I hate that, but I think they're too scared to draft a QB, I mean what if they bust?

We just don't EVER draft QBs. Wilson was an anomaly cuz he could be had in the 3rd round.

If we DO get a QB it will be something like Levis, a 2nd day guy at best.
Cousins is washed. If you've watched anything this year, he is turning into a shell of his former self, and that's prior to this new injury.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I agree. I'm still disappointed Lock didn't play the 4th quarter in Baltimore. Makes zero sense to me
Um. You're exactly right. I hadn't even thought about that until now. Apparently neither did Pete.

WTF?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Um. You're exactly right. I hadn't even thought about that until now. Apparently neither did Pete.

WTF?

Because Pete doesn't want to start a QB controversy for the rest of the year, that's why.

If he's confident in Geno, which apparently he is with his post presser comments and unwavering support. Then you sure as hell don't put in your backup QB and open up a Pandora's Box of QB controversy.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Because Pete doesn't want to start a QB controversy for the rest of the year, that's why.

If he's confident in Geno, which apparently he is with his post presser comments and unwavering support. Then you sure as hell don't put in your backup QB and open up a Pandora's Box of QB controversy.
I get it - ya - but jesus - at SOME point the game is unrecoverable. I'm guessing around the time that 4 TDs are needed to tie with not alot of time left -

Dunno why it bugs me - but how many other situations/opportunities you gonna get to see what's under the hood with Lock - ?

And the fact that I hadn't even THOUGHT of it until like 5 minutes ago bugs me too!

Edit: and I'm not sure it would have been any more controversial than the month they spent flying around playing footsie with all the top draft QBs this year. Unless they told him before they left that it was all a smokescreen for some reason.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
At this point, I don't give a sh** what Pete is trying to avoid. It was ridiculous to be getting smoked and not let the backup play.
I'd agree with that statement -

It's like the JPG/meme thing that I saw of ME3 on his back on the ground, Denver Olineman were standing around looking down at him - I think the caption was something like "then get the ball out faster!".

Same thing - Geno don't wanna get pulled - win -

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I get it - ya - but jesus - at SOME point the game is unrecoverable. I'm guessing around the time that 4 TDs are needed to tie with not alot of time left -

Dunno why it bugs me - but how many other situations/opportunities you gonna get to see what's under the hood with Lock - ?

And the fact that I hadn't even THOUGHT of it until like 5 minutes ago bugs me too!

We fans compartmentalize these discussions. Putting Lock in goes far beyond just putting in your backup to mop up a blowout.

You're creating an unnecessary dysfunctional snowball effect. The locker room, Geno's confidence, the entire roster who loves Geno. All of it is now fair game for the media to poke holes in for the rest of the season.

So I get why Pete didn't put in Lock and let Geno finish the game...............and if we get to mid December after the gauntlet of games with the Niners twice, Eagles and Cowboys and the Hawks have played themselves right out of playoff contention?

You probably will see Lock.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
At this point, I don't give a sh** what Pete is trying to avoid. It was ridiculous to be getting smoked and not let the backup play.

That's why Pete's a HOF all time great coach, and you're SoulfishHawk on .Net. You have to take everything into consideration, not just appeasing fans who think Lock can play better.

So lets say Lock came in and did well, or even OK. You want to deal with the media asking you if Geno's benched all week? How bout next week? The week after?

It all matters.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Fair enough. All that from just thinking it wouldn't have hurt a thing to put Lock in for the 4th quarter? Ok
And I never once have said he's better than Geno or would be. Not once.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
This is not an anti Geno thread. This is not an anti-'anyone' thread. I firmly believe that Geno is an above average QB with a busted Oline, shitty playcalling, and no time to throw at the moment. I believe that all these things are correctable - whether they will be corrected or not.

Whether 12, 24, or 36 months from now, it's inevitable that the Hawks will need someone to replace Mr. Smith.

I do not follow college ball - just don't have the headspace and/or time to do so.

Who do you want? When should it go down? How do we amass the draft capital that it will take? Who would we trade to amass this draft capital? How much should we pay? Is this a draft acquisition or a pricey veteran trade?

I don't have the answers - and I don't even have tendencies towards answers. But I'm sure some people have a plan -

Anyone?

Edit: and this assumes that it's 'not Lock'. Which I don't even have a big enough sample size on to even judge. He's a valid vote if you wanted - I just need more info if it is.

Michael Pennix Jr. He will elevate this offense to new heights.

He has a rocket of an arm, superb accuracy, great leadership. He's just a winner.

Teams will be frightened by the fact he turns 25 by the start of next season, so he'll slide to the Seahawks in the middle of the 1st.

I have spoken.
LOLOL Yea, good luck with him being on the board when the Seahawks are up to picking in the 24 Draft.
Would absolutely LUV having Pennix Jr as our QB of the future, BUT, I think he goes long before the Seahawks are up for their first pick in this next Draft. :-(

scutterhawk

Reaction score
The Seahawks don't draft QBs. We'll end up with someone else's leftovers...

Cousins could win it all for us in his twilight years, something like that, I bet.

I hate that, but I think they're too scared to draft a QB, I mean what if they bust?

We just don't EVER draft QBs. Wilson was an anomaly cuz he could be had in the 3rd round.

If we DO get a QB it will be something like Levis, a 2nd day guy at best.
Oh PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, Mods, where's the Rolly-Eyes Emoji???

Rat

Reaction score
I'll guess Tyler Huntley, although I could also seeing us getting in on Kirk Cousins.

Rat

Reaction score
Ridiculous, imo. It couldn't have hurt one damn thing to at least Lock play the 4th quarter. NOT saying bench Geno. I'm saying that in that game Sunday, Lock should have been given some playing time.
Agreed. I'm ok sending Geno a message. If that hurts his confidence, then he shouldn't be starting anyway.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Exactly. He's not some snowflake. Pete had a chance to set some type of example, he failed yet again. If anything, an Angry Geno would be a good thing.
Can't be coaching out of fear of hurting someone's feelings. Just my opinion.
Not that I know even 1/10 what Pete does about football.