Ok. QBOTF. Who/when/where/why & how?

WarHawks

Reaction score
How is it that you think that without a 2nd round pick we can't draft the QBOTF?

To move from 9th to 1st, "Chicago traded a first-round selection (1st) to Carolina in exchange for WR D. J. Moore, first- and second-round selections (9th and 61st), 2024 first-round and 2025 second-round selections."

To move from 12th to third "Arizona traded first- and fourth-round selections (3rd and 105th overall) to Houston in exchange for first- and second-round selections (12th and 33rd overall), and 2024 first- and third-round selections."

Given we are likely going to be picking in the lower 12 range, AT THE VERY LEAST we are going to have to trade 2024, 2025 and 2026 first round picks if you want to get into the top 10, a 2nd round pick in the 50-64 range isn't going to move the needle. And if you think the QBOTF will be available in the 2nd round? Well we can just trade down with our 1st round pick right?
I hope you're right. I'll believe it when I see it, considering Pete and John have never done this for a qb since they've been here, and Pete's contract is up in two years.

renofox

Reaction score
Seahawks won’t be drafting in the top-10, so Penix, Williams, Maye are not available unless you’re willing to trade your #1 pick in 2025 plus a stud player to move up. That’s what the Panthers gave up for Bryce Young. It would be shocking if Seahawks do that. It isn’t necessary. It is entirely possible to find your next QB in the second round or later. But you DO have to take your shot at it when you see a promising prospect.
It never ceases to amaze that PCJS happily give up multiple 1st's for a safety that's due a ridiculous contract, but won't do the same for a shot at the QBOTF on a 5-year salary controlled contract.

One is worth 10x+ more than the other, and it ain't the safety.

renofox

Reaction score
Which is why so many of us are mad that the Hawks literally threw away a possible chance at QBOTF by trading for a 10 game rental. You can't find your QB in the 2nd round if you aren't drafting in the 2nd round.
The last 20 starting Super Bowl winning QBs were:

12 - 1st round picks
6 - Tom Brady
2 - 3rd round picks (Wilson, Foles)

The odds of finding another Tom Brady are so long that it is irrational to include him in the discussion.

Prime Wilson was a unicorn and one of the luckiest picks ever made in the draft.

Foles was a fluke.

Basically, if you want to win Super Bowls you need to get a QB in the 1st round. Even then the odds are against you of finding that guy on your first try. If you want to win the SB, you need to keep trying until you find that 1st round QB who'll take you there. Or do like the Rams and trade for him (Stafford).

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I honestly don't believe a QB is even in the conversation at this point. I think Carrolls done in the next couple years when his contract is up and he's just going to ride Geno and Lock until he bows out gracefully. QB will be the next regimes problem.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
It never ceases to amaze that PCJS happily give up multiple 1st's for a safety that's due a ridiculous contract, but won't do the same for a shot at the QBOTF on a 5-year salary controlled contract.

One is worth 10x+ more than the other, and it ain't the safety.
I think the only argument that can be said about this (and believe me, I'm not defending them at all) is that one had starting NFL experience and they saw what he could do in the NFL compared to someone who doesn't have NFL experience and might not translate as well. But like someone else said in this thread, you could say the same about ANY of their draft picks not translating to the NFL well.

Ostatehawk

Reaction score
Since when has Pete given a crap about the media's take as a primary consideration for what he does? All Pete had to say was, "we didn't want to leave Geno out there to possibly get injured in a game that was already out of reach. Geno was still nicked up a bit from the Cleveland game. It was a good playing time opportunity for Drew. Geno is still our #1, no question." Pete should have put Lock in next drive after Huntley went in at QB for the Ravens. Ravens gave him cover on that too.

So that's obvious BS about "QB controversy", what was the REAL reason?

a) Drew Lock would have balled out? Made it harder for the Hawks to retain his services next year?
b) They didn't want to get Lock injured by that Ravens D?
c) Some other actual reason?
If Lock was better than Geno - wouldn't he already be playing?

AnimeAmore

Reaction score
How is it that you think that without a 2nd round pick we can't draft the QBOTF?
Because trading lots of picks to move up is stupid, and the Hawks are not good with 1st round picks, so trading away our 2nd round pick hurts big time.
As I said in another post, the Hawks can easily skip QB again this year by saying they had other areas that needed to be filled and not a lot of good picks to do it, and no one that they liked fell to them. They can also easily claim they didn't see anyone that gives them a better chance to win than Geno.
I didn't say they *can't* draft a QBOTF, but that throwing away their 2nd rounder like they're the Raiders makes it much harder. You're talking about all these different trades which has *nothing* to do with my post, meanwhile I'm talking about literally being unable to draft their QB with their 2nd rounder because they don't have it. You can't use a pick you don't have. Simple stuff.
As for trading out of the 1st round, the Hawks have shown repeatedly that they would rather keep their 1st rounder and use it on a player that can be had in the 2nd round (or should've been avoided altogether) than trade it for less value than they think it's worth. Trading out of the first round because they like a QB who might be available in the 2nd round completely goes against the way the Hawks operate in the Carroll/Schneider era.

olyfan63

Reaction score
If Lock was better than Geno - wouldn't he already be playing?
Where did I ever say Lock was "better" than Geno?
My post was agreeing with the idea that Lock needs actual "live fire" playing time to continue developing and be ready, e.g., in case of injury to Geno.
John Harbaugh understands this and put #2 QB Tyler Huntley into the game once it was out of hand. 30-3 is out of hand.

Starting QBs Aaron Rodgers, Kirk Cousins, Daniel Jones OUT with season-ending injuries so far this season. Many others have missed games.

Ostatehawk

Reaction score
You didn't - it's just a general question - I probably shouldn't have quoted you. But that thought popped into my head after reading your post.

12forlife

Reaction score
Which is why so many of us are mad that the Hawks literally threw away a possible chance at QBOTF by trading for a 10 game rental. You can't find your QB in the 2nd round if you aren't drafting in the 2nd round.
I imagine they intend to resign Williams, with this draft being weaker at the DL position, point is they didn't feel there would be a better DL prospect mid 2nd rd.
If you obsessed with drafting a QB in the 2nd then trade down in the first, or trade up with our 2 3rd rd picks. There is always a way.
I get the local love for Penix, and wouldn't be upset if we got him. Why is no one talking about JJ McCarthy, or Jayden Daniels? Both guys have good size, live arms, accurate, and can make plays when plays break down.

GemCity

Reaction score
Great discussion tbh….I’m weary of the “find a QB in the 3rd round or later” crowd. Yes, there are anomalies (Wilson, Brady) but those are few and far between.

I’m more than happy with our draft picks. But, I do believe last year’s draft would’ve been the perfect time to bring a rookie QB in and sit behind Geno.

The optimism behind Lock…I get it. He’s got a cannon. But, he’s been relegated to a backup QB and there’s fact based evidence that says he’s not the answer.

The Hawks have been one of the most successful franchises this past decade. I’m not on the “fire Pete” train. But, I don’t see the methodology changing here as long as he’s around.

Game manager or $50M a year QB. Is one truly better than the other when considering the other positions/talent?

Regardless, PC is destined to do it his way. I wouldn’t expect us to offer the farm for a QB worthy of an early round pick. And hell, who can really argue that anyways?

PC did it before. Maybe he can do it again?

It’s pretty damn painful to watch at times though. Geno is looking like “old Geno”…like the Geno who wrote back. Dismal play as of late.

Let’s keep our fingers crossed and pray he looks like the first half of last year again. That Geno is a baller.

And oh yah….the 2nd round pick to the Giants….That was, imo, the biggest hole to fill. While it’s easy to understand the move, I think that was too steep. Why can’t we get back into homegrown talent on the D-line? I’ll reserve condemnation. That comes if he doesn’t resign.

WarHawks

Reaction score
The only sb we ever won was with a qb who was top 5, maybe even top 3 at his peak. We're floundering around with a guy ranked generously somewhere around 15th, and we have no reasonable expectation he's going to be able to get us to the promised land, and our hc is two years away from likely retirement and probably won't be drafting a rookie. So, logic dictates he'll probably try to trade for a veteran upgrade, or just roll with Geno and be content to stumble around in lala land for a couple years. This doesn't look good. Something has to give.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
They are about even as two QBs can be in every measure going back to college.

The only difference is Geno has more time in this system.
Nobody knew how good Geno could be until Russ got injured and Geno stepped up. I'm thinking it's the same way with Lock.

If you want to take the limited play against the Giants to bash Lock that's fine, but understand he might have had a bit of rust/excitement and needed to settle in. He only had 6(?) snaps, not much of a sample size.
If you want to take the limited play against his pre-season games to bash Lock that's fine, but understand he was playing with backups and he was still looking decent enough to see how he'd do with the starters.

Imo, the same people bashing and having no confidence in Lock at this time sounds WAYYY too familiar to the Geno bashing when we had Russ. Just saying. If I'm wrong about Lock and he plays horribly then so be it, we'll know what we have. But if I'm RIGHT about Lock and all he needed was some stable continuity (meaning more than 1 year on the same team with the same coaches) and cleaning up some errors, we just might have something amazing on our hands.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Pete will want his pet to get overpaid for next year so expect Geno to still be around.

rjdriver

Reaction score
The last 20 starting Super Bowl winning QBs were:

12 - 1st round picks
6 - Tom Brady
2 - 3rd round picks (Wilson, Foles)

The odds of finding another Tom Brady are so long that it is irrational to include him in the discussion.

Prime Wilson was a unicorn and one of the luckiest picks ever made in the draft.

Foles was a fluke.

Basically, if you want to win Super Bowls you need to get a QB in the 1st round. Even then the odds are against you of finding that guy on your first try. If you want to win the SB, you need to keep trying until you find that 1st round QB who'll take you there. Or do like the Rams and trade for him (Stafford).
Good, informative post @renofox.

However, I'm not sure it's entirely correct to say you have to get a QB in the first round. I imagine it's more accurate to say you need to get a QB that was drafted in the first round. You don't necessarily have to be the team that drafts him.

Stafford, P. Manning, and Drew Brees won Super Bowls for teams that did not draft them. (Technically so did Eli, but not really). You can pick up a former firsty and still be in a decent statistical place, but to your point, the odds are even better with a home ground first rounder.

Interestingly, if you go back one more year, the winning SB 37 QB was a 9th rounder in Brad Johnson

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
Just be looking at free agents. As I said before this team DOES NOT DRAFT QBS, and that won't change.

We will NOT be drafting a QB next year, or the year after, or the year after, ad infinitum. Until the entire management/ownership changes....

Let me make it SUPER CLEAR. There is an 0.0000000000000000001% chance this team EVER drafts a QB under John and Pete.

WE WILL NOT BE DRAFTING A QB, got it?