Ok. QBOTF. Who/when/where/why & how?

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
TBH, I could see Cousins or Josh Dobbs leading this team next year, but not a draftee...

I think if Geno doesn't show a resurgence, we will pick up a free agent. I hope one with real potential for the team of course. Someone pooh pooh'd Cousins, but Cousins with a team behind him is a borderline great QB barring further injury. I'm betting Josh Dobbs could have real potential and yet not be kept where he is possibly. Even Sam Howell could be a possibility. There are capable guys, the question is which one, how well will he fit and play here. I hope John and Pete choose well but only time will tell...

I mean remember the Matt Flynn plan?

Last edited:

olyfan63

Reaction score
You didn't - it's just a general question - I probably shouldn't have quoted you. But that thought popped into my head after reading your post.
Thanks. It's certainly a fair question, my point was that injuries happen, and you want the #2 to be ready if/when called on.
Tons of players in the NFL got their shot only when the guy in front of them got injured. Richard Sherman, Tom Brady, etc.

olyfan63

Reaction score
TBH, I could see Cousins or Josh Dobbs leading this team next year, but not a draftee...

I think if Geno doesn't show a resurgence, we will pick up a free agent. I hope one with real potential for the team of course. Someone pooh pooh'd Cousins, but Cousins with a team behind him is a borderline great QB barring further injury. I'm betting Josh Dobbs could have real potential and yet not be kept where he is possibly. Even Sam Howell could be a possibility. There are capable guys, the question is which one, how well will he fit and play here. I hope John and Pete choose well but only time will tell...

I mean remember the Matt Flynn plan?
I've been watching Howell's growth too, and pretty sure Commanders now see him as likely their QBOTF and he won't be available at any reasonable price. Or am I wrong?
Dobbs has certainly been entertaining and intriguing this year. I was like "Who TF is this guy"? when I saw Cardinals starting him.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
I've been watching Howell's growth too, and pretty sure Commanders now see him as likely their QBOTF and he won't be available at any reasonable price. Or am I wrong?
Dobbs has certainly been entertaining and intriguing this year. I was like "Who TF is this guy"? when I saw Cardinals starting him.
I have a feeling Geno will play better, just well enough no change will be made, hopefully much better than that though...

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Just don't try to force getting a QBOTF, please. No "blockbuster" trades to move up in the draft or take another team's QB on the decline. No taking a QB in the 1st just to take a QB in the 1st (like Christian Ponder and so many others). Just look at what's happened to Denver and NYG with Daniels Jones if you're feeling impatient and just want a guy that might be it.

Let someone fall in the draft. Let some other team mismanage and undervalue their guy (Washington with Cousins, Oakland with Palmer). If the opportunity isn't there, it isn't there. Build up the rest of the team to make us a team a good QB on a dumpster fire team would want to go to or a team can succeed with a rookie when we do get an opportunity to draft someone that makes sense.

12forlife

Reaction score
Hhmmmm I also bet you thought JS/PC would never draft a CB in the 1st??
Well it happened and looks like they nailed it.
Not sure where you find the info, but JS/PC will draft a QB they love. They were poking around Mahomes & Allen, that was what ruffled Russell's feather first, this was when he stopped say "Go Hawks" at the end of interviews.
With this Class of QB's I could see us even move up for someone they love?

12forlife

Reaction score
Just don't try to force getting a QBOTF, please. No "blockbuster" trades to move up in the draft or take another team's QB on the decline. No taking a QB in the 1st just to take a QB in the 1st (like Christian Ponder and so many others). Just look at what's happened to Denver and NYG with Daniels Jones if you're feeling impatient and just want a guy that might be it.

Let someone fall in the draft. Let some other team mismanage and undervalue their guy (Washington with Cousins, Oakland with Palmer). If the opportunity isn't there, it isn't there. Build up the rest of the team to make us a team a good QB on a dumpster fire team would want to go to or a team can succeed with a rookie when we do get an opportunity to draft someone that makes sense.
There are atleast 6 college QBs that offer more upside then Geno
Williams
Drake
Penix
McCarthy
Nix
Daniels
Sanders (if declares)
Ewers (if declarea)
Travis

CactusJack

Reaction score
There are atleast 6 college QBs that offer more upside then Geno
Williams
Drake
Penix
McCarthy
Nix
Daniels
Sanders (if declares)
Ewers (if declarea)
Travis
I've studied all of these guys fwiw, and I don't see a ton of upside with Bo Nix. I like Jayden Daniels more than both he & McCarthy, if I'm being honest.

Btw, Sanders is staying in school another year. According to Deion.

As far as Ewers, his play is too Jekyll and Hyde for me to really get excited about him. He's probably going to use the transfer portal at the end of the season, if he doesn't declare.

Caleb & Maye will be the top 2 picks for sure. Penix is easily the third guy. It will be fascinating to see how teams view him, given his injury history & age. How much his stock rises or falls throughout the process.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Just be looking at free agents. As I said before this team DOES NOT DRAFT QBS, and that won't change.

We will NOT be drafting a QB next year, or the year after, or the year after, ad infinitum. Until the entire management/ownership changes....

Let me make it SUPER CLEAR. There is an 0.0000000000000000001% chance this team EVER drafts a QB under John and Pete.

WE WILL NOT BE DRAFTING A QB, got it?
Hmmm...so you're saying there's a chance. Lol.

gmor

Reaction score
He's going in the top 10-15.

Penix is probably a more probable pick with where the Hawks will be picking.

But again, Pete and John's track record with QB's is mid rounds to non-existent. I don't think they're interested in a rookie QB.
JS said he's always looking for a quarterback. I think he's over thinking the situation and let's opportunities pass him by.

gmor

Reaction score
Penix is our best bet. He will fall to us, because of the previous physical issues and age.
He isn't a running QB, but doesn't need to be because he has a good feel for pressure and he gets the ball out quick. Look at his sack #s, he doesn't get sacked.
I agree. Penix would be a great get. He finds a way to get it done. Pressure doesn't affect him as much as it does others. He would grow well alongside our young team.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JS said he's always looking for a quarterback. I think he's over thinking the situation and let's opportunities pass him by.

Nah, I think he knows spending high draft capital on a QB with a roster that's ready to compete for division titles right now is a poor an unreliable direction for his franchise.

Did you watch the Panthers game last night? That's the #1 pick in the entire draft looking like he's 5 years away from figuring it out....if he ever figures it out.

Everyone on here wanted Richardson remember? Done for the year?

Now you wanna draft and develop a QB you like later in the draft to learn behind your starter? Sure, that's certainly something the Hawks haven't done a good job of doing.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
My bet is we pull another Russel Wilson type move. A promising college QB that doesn't rate a 1st round pick, but may still be pro ready. I suppose it's less risky, but certainly doesn't have the potential upside of getting a top rated guy.

That will still mean rolling with Geno, or some other free agent while they "develop", their 2nd or 3rd round QB pick...

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score

I do like this approach....

12forlife

Reaction score
I've studied all of these guys fwiw, and I don't see a ton of upside with Bo Nix. I like Jayden Daniels more than both he & McCarthy, if I'm being honest.

Btw, Sanders is staying in school another year. According to Deion.

As far as Ewers, his play is too Jekyll and Hyde for me to really get excited about him. He's probably going to use the transfer portal at the end of the season, if he doesn't declare.

Caleb & Maye will be the top 2 picks for sure. Penix is easily the third guy. It will be fascinating to see how teams view him, given his injury history & age. How much his stock rises or falls throughout the process.
I feel that Daniels, McCarthy, and Penix are all great prospects, just depends on what style you want out of your QB? I actually lean towards McCarthy, his overall game might be the best of the 3.

CactusJack

Reaction score
I feel that Daniels, McCarthy, and Penix are all great prospects, just depends on what style you want out of your QB? I actually lean towards McCarthy, his overall game might be the best of the 3.
Michigan has had a soft schedule. The next few weeks will be a good indicator.

One concern I have is that he's not the biggest guy. He's listed at just over 200lbs. So will durability be an issue for him? Can he hold up over a long NFL season.

Michigan has a very good team around him. Most of their games have been blowouts. But can he step up & lead the team when it matters? Can he win a game when his team is trailing? Those are things that will factor in when he plays some of the better teams (Penn State, OSU, etc.).

Last edited: