Okung huge whiff before the interception

kearly

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3a8kjpci said:
Bill Simmons brought up an interesting point that he thinks Belichick intentionally didn't call the timeout to screw with the coaching staff. He's a pretty big Patriots homer, to the point where it's insufferable at times.. but that theory isn't as far fetched as it would seen. I think Belichick figured instead of calling a timeout to let them adjust he'd see what a young team would do in the waning moments of the biggest game in their careers. That play was a disaster as they were lining up.

Simmons is a huge homer, though I've had a similar theory. I think when Lynch got tackled at the 1 yard line Belichick knew he was about to lose the game, his only hope was if Seattle screwed up. Then he saw them screw up by putting 3 WRs on the field at the 1 yard line. I'm sure he knew that if he called timeout, it would give Seattle time to realize just how stupid their mistake was... calling a timeout would have meant seeing 3 runs for sure and an almost guaranteed loss.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kearly":108psbts said:
Hasselbeck":108psbts said:
Bill Simmons brought up an interesting point that he thinks Belichick intentionally didn't call the timeout to screw with the coaching staff. He's a pretty big Patriots homer, to the point where it's insufferable at times.. but that theory isn't as far fetched as it would seen. I think Belichick figured instead of calling a timeout to let them adjust he'd see what a young team would do in the waning moments of the biggest game in their careers. That play was a disaster as they were lining up.

Simmons is a huge homer, though I've had a similar theory. I think when Lynch got tackled at the 1 yard line Belichick knew he was about to lose the game, his only hope was if Seattle screwed up. Then he saw them screw up by putting 3 WRs on the field at the 1 yard line. I'm sure he knew that if he called timeout, it would give Seattle time to realize just how stupid their mistake was... calling a timeout would have meant seeing 3 runs for sure and an almost guaranteed loss.

Yup. Belichick's only hope was to stack the box -- not to physically stop us from moving the ball two feet -- but rather desperately hoping we would out think ourselves by throwing the ball instead of running it in. He may have refrained from calling timeout for the same reason to encourage us to panic over the clock.

chris98251

Reaction score
Not sure because I am hazy on if the clock runs on snap for the extra point, but lining up and kicking would have gave us 3 point lead, if you lined up for 2 and failed it would have made no difference, lining up for two you simply take the snap and do a clock burning run around till your tackled, you still have to do the kick off, or you do a run around get a penalty and have a redo which allows you to burn more clock once it is snapped. Belichick 101, do whatever you need to win. If there is any real time left you do a kick that goes end over end down the field and make someone touch the ball and field it around the 20 or so, if they are smart they call a time out, if not clock runs more, still a lot of ticks off the clock can happen say like 10 seconds.

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
I think NE should have called t/o with 1 minute left and then let Seattle score. They'd get the ball back with nearly a minute and one t/o. Of course that looks dumb now but at the one yard line, NE's priority should have been conserving time and getting the ball back. Seems like a better thought process than thinking that you are going to stop Seattle from the 1, with three shots at it.

At a minimum, even if they were not going to let Seattle score, it seems like conserving time would be the utmost priority.

If Seattle had been in that situation, that is what I would have wanted to see.

I mean, what were the odds that Seattle would score? 95%? Higher? The odds of NE being able to get in position for a FG had to be a whole lot higher than the 5%, or whatever it was, chance of stopping Seattle from a TD.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":hiz5p0v9 said:
That whiffed block probably would have been a blessing in disguise if they just run the ball in on 2nd down. As you said, Brady would have had more than enough time to get the Pats back into FG range
BINGO!