Okung out vs. Arizona

cdallan

Reaction score
I think we're a bit hard on Okung. I don't mind a false start per game if he doesn't give up a sack - it's only 5 yards, Russ doesn't get hit and you get to replay the down. Per PFF before the Eagles game, Okung was one of only 3 OTs who had played the minimum number of snaps and hadn't been credited with a sack.

Maulbert

Reaction score
cdallan":2iaqasbu said:
I think we're a bit hard on Okung. I don't mind a false start per game if he doesn't give up a sack - it's only 5 yards, Russ doesn't get hit and you get to replay the down. Per PFF before the Eagles game, Okung was one of only 3 OTs who had played the minimum number of snaps and hadn't been credited with a sack.

It wouldn't be so bad- if he didn't keep getting them on 3rd and short.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1labp2ak said:
hawksfansinceday1":1labp2ak said:
pehawk":1labp2ak said:
brimsalabim":1labp2ak said:
At least we know this on Monday. Bevell has all week to install some plays that get the ball out of Russell's hands quickly.

Bevell will conclude that Arizona believes he'll compensate in this regard, so, he'll try and do something entirely different. Him constantly auditioning for MENSA and/or a HC gig grates me a bit.
In other words you think he over thinks everything? Thus the complaints that he gets "too cute" I suppose.
The consecutive sacks with a 10 point lead were Bevell dialing up kill shots. they were covered and Russ took hits he didn't need to. I thought the clipping call that preceded them was bogus anyway, but 3 plays, lost a shit ton of yards. Only good thing was the clock ran on the sacks. Anyway, those were cute play calls.
Yeah that was a horrible sequence and very head scratching.

pehawk":1labp2ak said:
I missed that display due to babysitter timing. But, it sounds bad. And diminishes some smart setups by Mr. Bevell.
You missed utter ugliness man. More importantly as Scott said, 2 completely unnecessary hits on Russ and a loss of 20 yards of field position.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":hh7s8kdt said:
The consecutive sacks with a 10 point lead were Bevell dialing up kill shots. they were covered and Russ took hits he didn't need to. I thought the clipping call that preceded them was bogus anyway, but 3 plays, lost a shit ton of yards. Only good thing was the clock ran on the sacks. Anyway, those were cute play calls.

I wish the NFL would explain those clipping calls on Britt. He's clearly playing the way he's coached to, so it's either a mistake by Cable or a mistake by the league. I lean towards the latter, since players are allowed to cut block at the line as long as there isn't a second party involved. Unless they just changed the rule or something.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
kearly":2zyi3m9e said:
Scottemojo":2zyi3m9e said:

I wish the NFL would explain those clipping calls on Britt. He's clearly playing the way he's coached to, so it's either a mistake by Cable or a mistake by the league. I lean towards the latter, since players are allowed to cut block at the line as long as there isn't a second party involved. Unless they just changed the rule or something.

Clipping: Throwing the body across the back of an opponent’s leg or hitting him from the back below the waist while moving up from behind unless the opponent is a runner or the action is in close line play.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/definitions

CLIPPING
Article 10 There shall be no clipping from behind below the waist against a non-runner. This does not apply
to offensive blocking in close-line play where it is legal to clip above the knee(s), but it is illegal to clip at or
below the knee(s).
Penalty: For clipping: Loss of 15 yards.
CLOSE-LINE PLAY
SUPPLEMENTAL NOTES
(1) Close-line play is that which occurs in an area extending laterally to the position originally occupied by
the offensive tackles and longitudinally three yards on either side of each line of scrimmage.
CLOSE-LINE PLAY—ROLL-UP BLOCK
(2) In close-line play, if an offensive player’s block (legal or illegal) is followed by the blocker rolling up on
the back of the leg(s) of the defender, the action is illegal and is considered unnecessary roughness.
Exception: An offensive lineman may not clip a defender who, at the snap, is aligned on the line of scrimmage
opposite another offensive lineman who is more than one position away when the defender is responding
to the flow of the ball away from the blocker.
Example: Tackle cannot clip nose tackle on sweep away.
(3) Doubtful cases involving a side block or the opponent turning his back as the block is being made are
to be judged according to whether the opponent was able to see or ward off the blocker.
(4) The use of hands from behind above the waist on a non-runner is illegal use of hands (see 12-1-3).
(5) The use of hands on the back is not a foul when it is by:
(a) one of the kickers in warding off a receiver, while going downfield under a kick, or
(b) any player in an actual personal legal attempt to recover a loose ball.
(6) It is not considered clipping if:
(a) a blocker is moving in the same direction as an opponent, and has initial contact on the side of
the opponent and then continues to contact with the opponent below his waist from behind with
any part of his body, or
(b) in any case if an official has not observed the blocker’s initial contact.

Hawks46

Reaction score
kearly":11jmr90p said:
Scottemojo":11jmr90p said:

I'm pretty sure you can't cut a guy from behind, which is usually what happens to Britt. Guys start flowing down the line away from him and he can't catch up, so he does what he's coached to and cuts them to get them on the ground.

edit: Now that I think about it, clipping is the correct call from behind. you absolutely can't cut a guy from behind.

When it's called on a OLman who cuts a guy that's engaged, it's called an illegal chop block.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Penalties aside, I think Okung has actually been playing quite well. Perhaps even as good as an upper echelon LT over the past month or two. This is a blow, especially if he can't play versus the Rams. Robert Quinn is a tough enough match-up for Okung. It could get ugly with Bailey real quick.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
kearly":17n4t2oj said:
Scottemojo":17n4t2oj said:

I didnt see the one yesterday but the previous one by Britt was a legit clip. Not his first either. needs to knock that crap off.

Latest posts