Oline play after PS game 1

Seymour

Reaction score
Ya, problem is they are not going to cave after one game. Prob. will take 1-2 more then we start phase 2 of musical linemen going into throw away game 4 pre season. :roll:

Smellyman

Reaction score
Ifedi is bad, real bad. Glowinski is better, but they are being stubborn with their 'first round pick'. I don't blame them for trying because he is an investment. However, moving him outside, which will magnify his slow feet and terrible pass blocking, is just flat dumb. He will get RW killed.

Seymour already pointed this out but:

Pro Football Focus wasn’t kind to Ifedi as a rookie. The analytics website rated Ifedi 72nd out of 73 guards in the NFL in 2016. Only Earl Watford of Jacksonville rated lower

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/309867/most-intriguing-seahawks-no-11-rt-germain-ifedi/

I mean I don't care for PFF, but they can't be THAT wrong.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
gowazzu02":29s2fnjo said:
Sure you could find a play here or there where someone got beat (Ifedi)

Last night I re-watched the first half focusing on Ifedi at RT.

He was horrible. Slow to react on every play. And not once did he lock onto the DE and ride him out of the play... not once.

And in the second half I focused on Pocic at RT. He was very effective in locking onto his man.

Based on just one game, Pocic should be our starting RT... not Ifedi... at all.

OP
OP
gowazzu02

gowazzu02

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":2frxojfl said:
gowazzu02":2frxojfl said:
Sure you could find a play here or there where someone got beat (Ifedi)

Last night I re-watched the first half focusing on Ifedi at RT.

He was horrible. Slow to react on every play. And not once did he lock onto the DE and ride him out of the play... not once.

And in the second half I focused on Pocic at RT. He was very effective in locking onto his man.

Based on just one game, Pocic should be our starting RT... not Ifedi... at all.

Good man. I wish I had the time to do that.

But but but,,, (glass half full guy here for a second) How NICE would it be to actually have a guy PLAY his way into the starting lineup on our line?

Could you imagine if Pocic is so good that he forces Petes hand and starts? Now he's still a rookie and will have to grow. But lets say he's just below league average the first half of the year..... and lets assume he grows, learns gets better, and by playoff times we have an average to slightly above avg right tackle. And then lets just say for a second he continues to learn and grow and next year we have a rock solid RT.

I know crazy pie in the sky talk but hey im ever the optimist.

Jville

Reaction score
Damn! ...... everyone in college and NFL football has been talking about the shortage of offensive linemen for a number of years now.

Amazing that some are still not up to speed (10 minutes in) >>> [urltargetblank]http://sports.mynorthwest.com/322014/john-schneider-says-seahawks-top-pick-malik-mcdowell-will-begin-season-on-nfi/[/urltargetblank]

OP
OP
gowazzu02

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Hendo66":3sxywr45 said:
Amazing how bad this team is at drafting 1st/2nd round O Lineman...Damn!

It's not just us. It's a league wide epidemic.

The college spread is killing the prototypical nfl lineman, In college the OL is in a two point stance 95% of the time.

hawk45

Reaction score
Hendo66":4y3obujz said:
Amazing how bad this team is at drafting 1st/2nd round O Lineman...Damn!

That's true, and especially OT. When the Hawks draft an OT early you can set your watch on that guy failing inside to guard.

For me, the fact that they finally drafted a ready-to-go player in Pocic, and one who looks like he can play outside, is taking a lot of the sting away from the Ifedi failure.

I think it's a complete waste continuing to trot Ifedi out there at RT. He didn't get better at guard after a season last year - looked worse to my eyes - but the light is going to come on at RT before game 1? Come on.

I'm hoping they give their pride one more game with Ifedi and then move him back inside or to the bench. They'd be smarter to try Pocic at RT ASAP and see if they can confirm he looks solid against the ones.

Hendo66

Reaction score
Great listen, thanks JVille.
I get it. Still sucks that most of the early picks on the OL don't work out.
Might as well not take OL early if there are no good Linemen coming out anymore?
Hopefully Pocic improves the average, and still hope Ifedi can improve.....

Jville

Reaction score
Hendo66":175omafa said:
Great listen, thanks JVille.
I get it. Still sucks that most of the early picks on the OL don't work out.
Might as well not take OL early if there are no good Linemen coming out anymore?
Hopefully Pocic improves the average, and still hope Ifedi can improve.....

Glad I could help. :2thumbs: We fans got to take care of each other.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
LOLOL I'm just beside myself with astonishment at how stupid Pete Carroll and Tom Cable are at figuring shit out with the O-Line, and how astute & clever some of Y'all are at figuring out how to draw conclusions from PFF, and learn all the in's & out's on how to COACH an NFL team.
Bummer is, because Pete & Tom are too dumb to draw a smattering of smarts from the PFF well, :17: I mean, it's right there for the taking, eh?
What's with these jokers Coaching the Seahawks anyways.... we're probably never going to see another LOMBARDI come to Seattle. LOL

Seymour

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3qxe8phd said:
....and how astute & clever some of Y'all are at figuring out how to draw conclusions from PFF, and learn all the in's & out's on how to COACH an NFL team.

Have you considered the possibility that the PFF stats are just confirming what our eyes are telling us while watching every single game, and in many cases multiple times? :snack:

Typically supporting your view with stats and other facts brings credibility to others. Do you have any to offer?

hawk45

Reaction score
scutterhawk":379qpwct said:
LOLOL I'm just beside myself with astonishment at how stupid Pete Carroll and Tom Cable are at figuring shit out with the O-Line, and how astute & clever some of Y'all are at figuring out how to draw conclusions from PFF, and learn all the in's & out's on how to COACH an NFL team.
Bummer is, because Pete & Tom are too dumb to draw a smattering of smarts from the PFF well, :17: I mean, it's right there for the taking, eh?
What's with these jokers Coaching the Seahawks anyways.... we're probably never going to see another LOMBARDI come to Seattle. LOL

Sometimes fans can see what is in front of their eyes, and coaches aren't infallible.

For example: taking half a season to realize Lewis was a better option at Center than Nowak.

sdog1981

Reaction score
A lot of teams do not have this problem. The Patriots, Packers, Browns, Steelers, Raiders, Titians, Redskins and Eagles find and devlop Olinemen with late round draft picks/UDFA's. I don't include the Cowboys because they spent so many 1st rounders on the Oline and that bill is almost due. One of Pete's faults is his loayalty to his coaches, there is no logical reason for Tom Cable to have a job. He has been fired three years or less at every job he has held sine 1997. This Oline problem is a Tom Cable problem and a Pete loyalty problem.

Seymour

Reaction score
sdog1981":3cxi167r said:
A lot of teams do not have this problem. The Patriots, Packers, Browns, Steelers, Raiders, Titians, Redskins and Eagles find and devlop Olinemen with late round draft picks/UDFA's. I don't include the Cowboys because they spent so many 1st rounders on the Oline and that bill is almost due. One of Pete's faults is his loayalty to his coaches, there is no logical reason for Tom Cable to have a job. He has been fired three years or less at every job he has held sine 1997. This Oline problem is a Tom Cable problem and a Pete loyalty problem.

Giphy

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/897536162251722753[/tweet]

Excellent news ...... Love the versatility of these multi-positional players!

Seymour

Reaction score
Jville":3pu94l8n said:
Excellent news ...... Love the versatility of these multi-positional players!

I'm liking "this one" so far. Baby steps. :mrgreen: :2thumbs:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":2dejkevm said:
scutterhawk":2dejkevm said:
....and how astute & clever some of Y'all are at figuring out how to draw conclusions from PFF, and learn all the in's & out's on how to COACH an NFL team.

Have you considered the possibility that the PFF stats are just confirming what our eyes are telling us while watching every single game, and in many cases multiple times? :snack:

Typically supporting your view with stats and other facts brings credibility to others. Do you have any to offer?

Yes, as a matter of FACT I do..........Pete Carroll and his Coaching Staff have orchestrated A SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONSHIP, and have had the Seahawks in the conversation ever since, and that tells me that Y'all are on the skinny with your PFF "Stats" assessments :snack:
Bottom Line....Last years PFF "Stats" don't mean squat ->This Year<-, ESPECIALLY in game ONE of the Pre-Season.
Mistakes ARE made by ALL NFL teams at this time of the season.....Yes, even the all mighty Patriots, who just got skunked by the lowly Jags.
Pre Season games are where the Coaches get to assess what each player has and hasn't learned...If there's a carry over of miscues from prior Seasons for the Vets, The Coaches have to determine if a players bad habits can be rectified, or will need to be replaced, and if so, by whom.
Ifedi has been played OUT of his natural position from the get-go, and now there's a lot of bad habits that will need to be corrected, IF POSSIBLE, and if not, he and his take no shit, no nonsense attitude just may have to be replaced.
Britt SUCKED at playing several positions > UNTIL < he got to play Center, and voila, problem solved.
Not everyone is going to have Ethan Pocic's Swiss Army Knife capabilities.

Seymour

Reaction score
Excellent. I am convinced now. We won a superbowl (with the highest paid oline in the NFL ranked 27th), therefore Cable is awesome and we have no flaws to work on.

All done now. 8) :2thumbs:

HawkGA

Reaction score
I know Pocic is getting a lot of love over Ifedi and I think Ifedi looked poor but I reached yesterday with the intention of paying more attention to the offense line and I will say that when getting to the second level, Pocic blocked grass an awful lot.