Oline play after PS game 1

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
HawkGA":2d68ckcc said:
I know Pocic is getting a lot of love over Ifedi and I think Ifedi looked poor but I reached yesterday with the intention of paying more attention to the offense line and I will say that when getting to the second level, Pocic blocked grass an awful lot.

Blocking grass has to be an improvement over blocking air, right?

LolaRox

Reaction score
sdog1981":3dv8r679 said:
A lot of teams do not have this problem. The Patriots, Packers, Browns, Steelers, Raiders, Titians, Redskins and Eagles find and devlop Olinemen with late round draft picks/UDFA's. I don't include the Cowboys because they spent so many 1st rounders on the Oline and that bill is almost due. One of Pete's faults is his loayalty to his coaches, there is no logical reason for Tom Cable to have a job. He has been fired three years or less at every job he has held sine 1997. This Oline problem is a Tom Cable problem and a Pete loyalty problem.

I agree with all of this and will add -- Dallas 2016 starters 3 - 1st rounders, 1- 4th rounder and 1 - UFA. (Only one of their 1st rounders was a top 10 pick). Pete/John have drafted 3 - 1st , 2 - 2nd (+ Unger) 2- 3rd, 2-4th and many after round 4. Based on draft round they've had similar talent but not similar results.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":1q9lb3to said:
HawkGA":1q9lb3to said:
I know Pocic is getting a lot of love over Ifedi and I think Ifedi looked poor but I reached yesterday with the intention of paying more attention to the offense line and I will say that when getting to the second level, Pocic blocked grass an awful lot.

Blocking grass has to be an improvement over blocking air, right?

Well at least blocking air runs less risk of injuring yourself while falling (just ask P-Rich!).

Jville

Reaction score
George Fant Training Camp Press Conference ........

Video >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/video/2017/08/15/george-fant-training-camp-press-conference[/urltargetblank]

MP3 Audio >>> [urltargetblank]http://prod.video.seahawks.clubs.nfl.com/SEA/videos/dct/video_audio/2017/08-August/170815-fant-presser-32k.mp3[/urltargetblank]

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
LolaRox":2bnqj0an said:
sdog1981":2bnqj0an said:
A lot of teams do not have this problem. The Patriots, Packers, Browns, Steelers, Raiders, Titians, Redskins and Eagles find and devlop Olinemen with late round draft picks/UDFA's. I don't include the Cowboys because they spent so many 1st rounders on the Oline and that bill is almost due. One of Pete's faults is his loayalty to his coaches, there is no logical reason for Tom Cable to have a job. He has been fired three years or less at every job he has held sine 1997. This Oline problem is a Tom Cable problem and a Pete loyalty problem.

I agree with all of this and will add -- Dallas 2016 starters 3 - 1st rounders, 1- 4th rounder and 1 - UFA. (Only one of their 1st rounders was a top 10 pick). Pete/John have drafted 3 - 1st , 2 - 2nd (+ Unger) 2- 3rd, 2-4th and many after round 4. Based on draft round they've had similar talent but not similar results.
With that in mind shouldn't we compare how Dallas has done at LB, or DB vs how Seattle has done?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":l1024k56 said:
Excellent. I am convinced now. We won a superbowl (with the highest paid oline in the NFL ranked 27th), therefore Cable is awesome and we have no flaws to work on.

All done now. 8) :2thumbs:

Excellent indeed, admitting that you don't have all the answers is a good sign.
"Baby Steps" ;)
Seriously though Seymour, I'm not trying to be a d*ck with Y'all, as I don't have all the answers either :irishdrinkers:

chris98251

Reaction score
HawkGA":1sqt2c70 said:

At least he was at the second level and not looking behind him at a tackled RB.

LolaRox

Reaction score
LudwigsDrummer":15tht3ue said:
LolaRox":15tht3ue said:
sdog1981":15tht3ue said:

With that in mind shouldn't we compare how Dallas has done at LB, or DB vs how Seattle has done?

You can if you like, but this thread is about the Seahawks' OL not the Cowboys' LB or DB.

sdog1981

Reaction score
LudwigsDrummer":1gtfx9gb said:

I don't get where you are trying to go with that question. The Seahawks draft and develop talent like no other. Just every thing Cable touches turns to trash.

I am done with Cable debates because it is over. Cable sucks and when he is gone and the team has an average Oline the team will have holes at other positions and everyone will forget about him. It is not like during the 2022 season when much of the core of this team is gone someone is going to bring this back up and say see I was right about Tom Cable.

From now until the end of Cables anti-coaching we as fans have to hope and pray that he gets Justin Britt lucky with every position along the line.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
sdog1981":2jc9p2by said:
LudwigsDrummer":2jc9p2by said:

I don't get where you are trying to go with that question. The Seahawks draft and develop talent like no other. Just every thing Cable touches turns to trash.

I am done with Cable debates because it is over. Cable sucks and when he is gone and the team has an average Oline the team will have holes at other positions and everyone will forget about him. It is not like during the 2022 season when much of the core of this team is gone someone is going to bring this back up and say see I was right about Tom Cable.

From now until the end of Cables anti-coaching we as fans have to hope and pray that he gets Justin Britt lucky with every position along the line.

Said it before, but begs for repeat...I don't have all the answers........And obviously?...........neither do you.

Jville

Reaction score
Russell Okung, James Carpenter, JR Sweezy, Justin Britt, Germain Ifedi, Mark Glowinski, and George Fant are all starters who began their careers with the Seahawks.

Some of those successful students have become multi-millionaires while the rest are on schedule to become so. All have benefited from Tom Cable's teaching skills and Pete Carroll's mandated team culture. John Schneider has improved depth and developmental talent. Their O-line culture is progressing nicely in 2017 in spite of the talent shortages and cap challenges.

John Schneider speaks about the o-line 10 minutes into mp3 interview >>> [urltargetblank]http://audio.kiroradio.com/seattle/kiro/2017/08/c_danny,daveandmoore081017_10021339.mp3[/urltargetblank]

Seymour

Reaction score
Jville":227ozckc said:
Russell Okung, James Carpenter, JR Sweezy, Justin Britt, Germain Ifedi, Mark Glowinski, and George Fant are all starters who began their careers with the Seahawks.

Some of those successful students have become multi-millionaires while the rest are on schedule to become so. All have benefited from Tom Cable's teaching skills and Pete Carroll's mandated team culture. John Schneider has improved depth and developmental talent. Their O-line culture is progressing nicely in 2017 in spite of the talent shortages and cap challenges.

John Schneider speaks about the o-line 10 minutes into mp3 interview >>> [urltargetblank]http://audio.kiroradio.com/seattle/kiro/2017/08/c_danny,daveandmoore081017_10021339.mp3[/urltargetblank]

So what is the criteria for "successful student"? None of those highlighted are proven or made a 2nd contract yet, and success should not be associated to their names yet IMO. Fant and Glow may very well make it, Ifedi I have doubts will ever have the word associated to him name. I would call someone successful from the oline if they made 2 or more years as a starter, or were signed to a close to average contract by another team myself.

hawk45

Reaction score
Okung: Consensus best LT in his draft. As close to can't miss as it gets at that position.

Carpenter: Reach of a pick, failed at OT, put together a decent season when healthy, not worth a second contract.

Sweezy: Cable's one legit success story conversion. Solid run-blocker, inconsistent pass-blocker, not worth a second contract.

Britt: Failed at OT, failed at OG, shocked the world by failing inward all the way to center where he is solid. I have to give Cable credit for seeing *something* but it's not what I'd call a reproducible trajectory.

Ifedi, Glowinski: in battles for their lives for starting position. Ifedi in particular another high-round pick failing inward from tackle who looks awful wherever he is.

George Fant: Jury way out on this. Cable has yet to develop an OT, let alone a conversion at the position.

Lumping them all together as unalloyed successes as evidence of Cable's mastery seems a bit disingenuous.

Jville

Reaction score
Breno Giacomini didn't start his career with the Seahawks. But he sure benefited from Tom Cable coaching by becoming a Seahawk starter at right tackle and then cashing in as a starter with the Jets when New York outbid Seattle for Giacomini's services.

The Seahawks run a successful growth and development program for offensive linemen at all 5 positions ..... out of necessity.