Ongoing preseason questions, a few, add more for discussion?

ACFan

Reaction score
chris98251":3vdlg6mr said:
ACFan":3vdlg6mr said:
hawkfan68":3vdlg6mr said:
The difference between AC and Prosise is that Prosise is a more explosive threat. He will have more explosive plays than AC. AC probably would be more consistent than Prosise. Pete likes explosive plays and that's why he would lean toward Prosise. Which is unfortunate because AC has proven to be more reliable than Prosise when it comes to health.

What would you rather have from your 3rd down back? The ability to score a long TD once, maybe twice a season? Or consistently be available to help move the chains, series after series, game after game?

It seems to be bending logic pretty hard to say the former.

Championship teams need star players and role players.

We've got enough star players, or enough that we shouldn't be so desperate to try and fill the 3rd down back spot with another one, that we keep taking chances on CJ.

I'll take steady production over occasional explosivness anyday, especially if your talking about a 3rd down back.

Besides, getting AC to the 2nd level can produce big plays of their own.

You never have enough Star Players, John and Pete are always looking for that tilt the field player, Prosise does that, just needs to be healthy and stay that way.

while I certainly understand that point, I'd still value everyday, quality production over occasional hyper production.

I'd rather have a 3rd down back who averages 3 first downs a week, than a 3rd down back who produces one highlight play every six months, and not much else.

As you say, CJ has to stay healthy. So I have to ask, how many more PS games and practices, regular season games, does he have to miss for it to be too much? How much of a protected status has he really earned?

mikeak

Reaction score
Provide is not producing week in and out because he kept getting injured. It isn't like he is getting lost between games.

Sometimes guys gets injured often and never stop getting injured. Other times it is just bad luck combined with a violent sport and hen they go without injuries. Just hoping for the later

SchadyHawk

Reaction score
Sure AC can catch when there is no one on him and staying healthy is nice but he doesn't bring anything else to the table. He is a big back that runs like a small back and takes more big shots than anyone I've ever seen and with hardly any burst or shiftiness. To me there will always be guys like AC out there, but Procise(barring injury) is a game changer, just look at the New England game and tell me you could see AC changing the game the way Procise did that night.

chris98251

Reaction score
SchadyHawk":3d32p70k said:
Sure AC can catch when there is no one on him and staying healthy is nice but he doesn't bring anything else to the table. He is a big back that runs like a small back and takes more big shots than anyone I've ever seen and with hardly any burst or shiftiness. To me there will always be guys like AC out there, but Procise(barring injury) is a game changer, just look at the New England game and tell me you could see AC changing the game the way Procise did that night.

My point, how often do you see a team break the heart of a Patriots team, Prosise didn't do it by himself but he was using a Nail gun to put nails in their coffin that night.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
You can get AC level of play out of backs that aren't even playing football right now. If you lose him you lose nothing except someone who knows the playbook. If you lose Prosise, you lose a game changer.

Josea16

Reaction score
SchadyHawk":1bqbiluu said:
Correct. Procise is special and he is healthy unlike last year. Why even play him now like Graham in bullshit games? He like JG are on this team. Let AC beat out Carson if he can.

Josea16

Reaction score
:greetingsearthling:
ACFan":39shvw0f said:
chris98251":39shvw0f said:
ACFan":39shvw0f said:
hawkfan68":39shvw0f said:
The difference between AC and Prosise is that Prosise is a more explosive threat. He will have more explosive plays than AC. AC probably would be more consistent than Prosise. Pete likes explosive plays and that's why he would lean toward Prosise. Which is unfortunate because AC has proven to be more reliable than Prosise when it comes to health.

What would you rather have from your 3rd down back? The ability to score a long TD once, maybe twice a season? Or consistently be available to help move the chains, series after series, game after game?

It seems to be bending logic pretty hard to say the former.

Championship teams need star players and role players.

We've got enough star players, or enough that we shouldn't be so desperate to try and fill the 3rd down back spot with another one, that we keep taking chances on CJ.

I'll take steady production over occasional explosivness anyday, especially if your talking about a 3rd down back.

Besides, getting AC to the 2nd level can produce big plays of their own.

You never have enough Star Players, John and Pete are always looking for that tilt the field player, Prosise does that, just needs to be healthy and stay that way.

while I certainly understand that point, I'd still value everyday, quality production over occasional hyper production.

I'd rather have a 3rd down back who averages 3 first downs a week, than a 3rd down back who produces one highlight play every six months, and not much else.

As you say, CJ has to stay healthy. So I have to ask, how many more PS games and practices, regular season games, does he have to miss for it to be too much? How much of a protected status has he really earned?
Remember Percy Harvin? Double it because he isn't a little bitch with a bad attitude and never has been.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":4kczmcko said:
jammerhawk":4kczmcko said:
Care to share?
Meet the new backup, same as the old backup. Just a thought.

Putting that dream aside, though, I think Boykin has improved from last season. He just appears to have a little more poise and throws with confidence. He could probably go .500 in a pinch.

I suspect this has largely been known all along though. The only thing that unseats Boykin is a judge. So it doesn't really explain the change in the game. I mean, maybe, but I don't think I've ever seen a QB go into the game, go out of the game, and then go back into the game in preseason (barring injury of course, though technically I don't think I've even seen that).

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":2l7tqkkx said:
Siouxhawk":2l7tqkkx said:
jammerhawk":2l7tqkkx said:
Care to share?
Meet the new backup, same as the old backup. Just a thought.

Putting that dream aside, though, I think Boykin has improved from last season. He just appears to have a little more poise and throws with confidence. He could probably go .500 in a pinch.

I suspect this has largely been known all along though. The only thing that unseats Boykin is a judge. So it doesn't really explain the change in the game. I mean, maybe, but I don't think I've ever seen a QB go into the game, go out of the game, and then go back into the game in preseason (barring injury of course, though technically I don't think I've even seen that).
If memory serves, they put him back to run the 2-minute offense. Pete probably just wanted to see him in a pressure situation. Not that unusual.