Only way Seattle can win another Super Bowl under Carroll

Chapow

Reaction score
keasley45":3btexset said:
SonicHawk":3btexset said:
Wilson doesn't need a top 5 OL and he doesn't need a top 5 defense to win a SB.

Wilson needs a top 15 OL and a top 20 defense and a playbook that isn't apathetic to Wilson's skillset.

Hmmm. This year we had the 14th ranked o-line , 22nd ranked D (ypg - after a horrid start during which we won a food number of the games anyway), and 16th ranked (ppg).

That Should have been enough THIS year if we could have just taken the plays that were there.

The Packers had the #1 ranked offense and the #13 ranked defense
The Saints had the #5 ranked offense and the #5 ranked defense
The Bucs had the #3 ranked offense and the #8 ranked defense
The Bills had the #2 ranked offense and the #16 ranked defense
The Chiefs had the #6 ranked offense and the #11 ranked defense
The Ravens had the #7 ranked offense and the #2 ranked defense

The Seahawks had the #8 ranked offense and the #15 ranked defense

(Both offensive and defense rankings are by points per game https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/s ... e/dir/desc)

Every team on that list had a better offense than us, and every team on that list also had a better defense than us (except the Bills who were ranked 1 spot lower than us), yet we should have been been able to win a SB this year with a worse team than any of them? How do you figure?

It sure seems like a lot of people kind of forget about the fact that there are 31 other teams in the NFL that are also doing everything they can to win games, that some of those teams are very good, and that at least half a dozen or so are almost certainly better than we are.

BTW, every team misses "plays that were there" on both sides of the ball fairly frequently.

keasley45

Reaction score
Remains to be seen. I don't know who the next OC will be or what kind of run game or pass game he will ultimately call. But one thing I think I do know is that whoever it is, they will likely have the distinction of being the piece that solved the riddle as to who it was who ultimately was responsible for the failures on offense. It will be obvious whether what we saw over this era was a controlling coach who demanded his print be on the offense and a qb and coaches who squandered their talents trying to make something more of a cripplingly conservative plan. Or. A superstar player who' s deficiencies led coaches to scheme in vain, ways to get him to run the offense as it was designed, rather than the freelancing way he'd become known for and accustomed to. Success can mask all manner of ills.

Hoping all 3, PC, RW, and the OC get it together and get us another Lombardi in the cabinet .

Go Hawks

gowazzu02

Reaction score
I think it's simpler than stated.

The only way we can win another super bowl is if we get the number 1 seed and fans are allowed in the stadium. We've made the Super Bowl 3 times and each time we were the number 1 seed.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
SonicHawk":1bbyramg said:

Wilson needs a top 15 OL and a top 20 defense and a playbook that isn't apathetic to Wilson's skillset.

I agree about the OL, but not the defense. A top 10, maybe 15 defense gets it done.

OP
OP
TheLegendOfBoom

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
gowazzu02":3fnmdlo7 said:
I think it's simpler than stated.

The only way we can win another super bowl is if we get the number 1 seed and fans are allowed in the stadium. We've made the Super Bowl 3 times and each time we were the number 1 seed.
The formula is simple but the execution has proven to not be obtainable.

Hawaii-hawk

Reaction score
I think a Super Bowl is going to rest on whether our punter can pin every offense inside the 5 yard line from the Seattle 35. do that 10 times a game, cause thats about how many times we’ll be punting. we’ll stand a good chance for sure.

hawksfansince90

Reaction score
Fox0r":28wpgg4u said:
We need a 2000+ yard RB to win the Super Bowl?

Dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Not as dumb as Jody Allen re-signing Pete. Sell the team to someone else who has a clue.

chris98251

Reaction score
hawksfansince90":3htc5h0h said:
Fox0r":3htc5h0h said:
We need a 2000+ yard RB to win the Super Bowl?

Dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Not as dumb as Jody Allen re-signing Pete. Sell the team to someone else who has a clue.

Oh like Ken Behring, he had it all figured out remember, gonna be like the Raiders.

kf3339

Reaction score
The only way Seattle can win another Super Bowl under Carroll?

Hmm, perhaps if PC goes into a self induced coma and the ghost of Paul Allen forces his sister to hire an interim HC that actually knows how to win a Super Bowl in today's modern NFL. Would that work? :lol:

ryank24

Reaction score
blkhwk":29zrj541 said:
On the Pete Carroll show, he never said "run the ball more" he said run the ball more effectively..........big difference! He also said " I'm not talking about running it 50 times a game"

I took that to mean just that....more effective runs. He specified wanting to get teams out of 2 high safety looks.

I've seen a few different people say that Pete wants to run the ball more effectively. I hope that's actually what he said somewhere because the article I read had him quoted as saying "We have to run the ball better. Not even run the ball better, run it more"

I don't think anybody would argue that we shouldn't run the ball more effectively, but based on that quote he just stubbornly wants to force the run regardless of how effective it is.

https://www.nfl.com/news/pete-carroll-seahawks-need-to-run-the-ball-more-in-2021

rogerwilliambruce

Reaction score
What you outline for a superbowl win under Pete is not going to happen based on his history of Seahawk management choices. Pete does not invest in the offensive line but about one time new player every three to four years. So we are never going to have an elite offensive line. Under Pete since he betrayed the team and fans by not giving Lynch the ball at the one yard line the defense has steadily gone downhill. This is a team where the head coach has not developed a team identity.

The Seahawks are unfortunately not going to ever win another Superbowl with Pete Carroll as Head Coach. If Jody Allen wants to have a great team fire Pete and John, the sooner the better.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The Seahawks have less chance winning a SuperBowl than the following teams:

Browns
Bills
Ravens
(It is actually a long list of probably 15-20 teams with better chances than us but I will pick a few)

I would argue we have roughly the chance of the Chargers right now. Maybe the same chance as the Falcons.

So while possible, it is so unlikely as to be improbable.

Even more so considering it is extremely unlikely we even make the playoffs this coming season and Wilson is likely gone the next.

Our chance to win the SB or even advance in the playoffs was this past season and Pete blew it.

You are not winning a SB with cast-off RBs and a QB that wants nothing more than to play out the string and get the H out from under his underachieving HC.

You certainly are not if you have half the locker room siding with the QB and another half with the HC. (if that is the dynamic, who knows the actual breakdown).

When this post originally popped up, I pointed out the folly of even expecting a SB from Pete ever again. The situation is worse now and I highly doubt Pete even makes the playoffs again.

flv

Reaction score
Any Given Sunday. There were 5 NFC teams that could have won the in the 2020/21 playoffs. The Seahawks were 1 of those 5 teams and there wasn't much between any of them. Being the #3 seed meant likely having to beat 3 of those teams to get to the Super Bowl, and 2 of the 3 games were likely to be on the road on the East Coast. To me it's about making the playoffs as a top 2 seed and being healthy throughout the playoffs. There's no magic formula to achieving that.

chris98251

Reaction score
We are the Rams of the 70's, Chcuk Knox headed a great team for years but could never get over the hump because he was stubborn when it came to the QB having the game in their hands, he didn't trust them.

Carroll is much the same way until push comes to shove in the 4th quarter, Knox had a year where we lost our RB's and had to put the ball in Kriegs hands, we almost made the dance that year.

Then it was back to old ground and pound.

Now I believe in the run game, it can take the heart out of a defense, but you need to be able to change it up if a defense especially in the playoffs take that away. WE DON'T DO THAT.

Neither did Chuck, he had great and good defenses most the time but would not let the offense open up.

Sound familiar?

getnasty

Reaction score
Defense needs to be what it was at the end of the year and the offense needs to convert 3rd downs and not turn the ball over. We're really not as far away as people think and hopefully the new OC helps to be able iron out some of the wrinkles on offense.

xray

Reaction score
If Wilson leaves and Carroll doesn't have Watson or Carr at the very least...no chance . IMO

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":10pjoae5 said:
This has to be understood:

1. Carroll is Head Coach for another 4-5 years, or until he retires on his own accord (Honestly, Jody Allen is not gonna fire him)
2. Carroll is not changing/evolving his approach
3. Carroll is keeping the same coordinators (coordinators are pawns)

The only way Seattle can win the proverbial “Chip” again playing Pete ball (which I’m assuming 99% posters here cannot take anymore) is:

1. All of a sudden the offensive line becomes ELITE, top 3 in the NFL
2. Seattle has a 2000+ yard RB
3. Wilson throws 8 or less interceptions a year, with 40+ TDs
4. Seattle is top 5 in overall defense
5. Michael Dickson stays great

It’s a very long shot and not likely to happen but this is the only way to alleviate any and all frustrations currently plaguing the team and posters on .Net.

In other words, it’s going to be another frustrating several seasons we will have to endure as long as Carroll remains coach.

What say you?

Many ways to skin a cat! Look at New England even though having a strong Defense & Running Game won New England most of it’s Super Bowls & at least the last 3 in a row for Tom Brady, New England Beat Seattle with the short passing attack!

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
If you want to say our OL was terrible at the end of the season & playoffs that’s fine with me but RW was worse than our OL at the end of the season & playoffs, the stats prove it!!

chris98251

Reaction score
FresnoHawk68":vewvo25r said:
If you want to say our OL was terrible at the end of the season & playoffs that’s fine with me but RW was worse than our OL at the end of the season & playoffs, the stats prove it!!

You mean handcuffed and with a ball and chain he couldn't throw the ball , yeah, but who put him under lock and key?

Your saying a speed boat lost a race, but neglect to say they had not put an engine in it.

Superbowl 48

Reaction score
SonicHawk":2re7jzfk said:

According to history, the Seahawks need the top defense, and a offense that is ranked about average, to win a Super Bowl. They also need to be up three touch downs by half time. 2014

Every time the Seahawks are in a Super Bowl with a top 10 offense, the Seahawks lose. The Seahawks can't play a close game in the Super Bowl, they lose those. 2006 & 2015.

Right now the Seahawks offense and defense are ranked about average in the league, so a huge push to improve the defense, should be the goal to get back into contention. Operation trade Russel Wilson is job number 1 to get the defense rolling again. Three 1st round picks to make the defense great again, would be a good start.

Jamal Adams is perfect indication that Pete Carrol wants his defense back on top.