Opening Day Starters

hawknation2015

Reaction score
COM-PETE!!!

Offense
QB: Russell Wilson, BJ Daniels
RB: Marshawn Lynch, Robert Turbin, Christine Michael
FB: Will Tukuaku
ZWR: Jermaine Kearse, Kevin Norwood, Ricardo Lockette, Paul Richardson (PUP)
Y: Doug Baldwin, Tyler Lockett
XWR: Jimmy Graham, Chris Matthews
LT: Russell Okung, Garry Gilliam
LG: Mark Glowinski (surprise!), Alvin Bailey
C: Patrick Lewis, Lemuel Jeanpierre
RG: J.R. Sweezy, Kristjan Sokoli
RT: Justin Britt, Terry Poole
TE: Luke Willson, Anthony McCoy

Defense
RDE: Cliff Avril, Frank Clark
NT: Brandon Mebane, Ahtyba Rubin, Demarcus Dobbs
DT: Tony McDaniel, Jordan Hill
LDE: Michael Bennett, Cassius Marsh
SLB: Bruce Irvin, Mike Morgan
MLB: Bobby Wagner, Brock Coyle
WLB: K.J. Wright, Kevin Pierre-Louis
LCB: Richard Sherman, Tye Smith
RCB: Cary Williams, Tharold Simon
SS: Kam Chancellor, Ryan Murphy
FS: Earl Thomas, DeShawn Shead
SCB: Will Blackmon, Marcus Burley, Jeremy Lane (PUP)

K Steven Hauschka
P Jon Ryan
LS Clint Gresham
PR Tyler Lockett
KRs Doug Baldwin and Tyler Lockett

rideaducati

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":sa51j2m2 said:
blkhwk":sa51j2m2 said:
Wouldn't be surprised if Kearse is not a starter or even on the roster by opening day. Also doubt McDaniel is there at DT. Simon, if healthy may be the RCB
How does cutting Kearse benefit the team for 2015?

By giving them $2,300,000+ to use elsewhere and reducing redundancy. Plus, if Kearse is cut, it means they found someone better.

rideaducati

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2p3jxcii said:
COM-PETE!!!

Offense

Defense

K Steven Hauschka
P Jon Ryan
LS Clint Gresham
PR Tyler Lockett

So you think Like Willson is going to beat out Jimmy Graham?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
rideaducati":20h29h37 said:
hawknation2015":20h29h37 said:
COM-PETE!!!

Offense

Defense

K Steven Hauschka
P Jon Ryan
LS Clint Gresham
PR Tyler Lockett

No, why do you think that? Graham will probably start outside at Split End . . . and Willson, McCoy, Gilliam, Poole, Tukuafu, etc. will line up inside at TE. By the end of the season, I hope the base alignment at receiver looks something like this:

X Jimmy Graham
Y Tyler Lockett
Z Doug Baldwin
TE Luke Willson

Basis4day

Reaction score
Exittium":3pwv2mxz said:
Basis4day":3pwv2mxz said:
Exittium":3pwv2mxz said:
Offense
QB: Russell Wilson
RB: Marshawn Lynch
WR: Doug Baldwin
TE: Jimmy Graham
LT: Terry Poole (I don't see okung staying healthy enough.. again)
LG: Alvin Bailey
C: Lemuel Jeanpierre
RG: J.R. Sweezy
RT: Justin Britt
TE: Luke Willson
WR: Tyler Lockett (because it ruffles feathers, that i didn't pick kearse )

Defense
DE: Cliff Avril
DT: Brandon Mebane
DT: Tony McDaniel
DE: Michael Bennett
OLB: Bruce Irvin
MLB: Bobby Wagner
OLB: Frank Clark (just cuz? I don't know.. he's a freak and needs to be in there somewhere)
CB: Richard Sherman
CB: Tye Smith (Sherman being a n ex wr himself mentoring this kid, who imo is already better than simon)
SS: Kam Chancellor
FS: Earl Thomas

Are you predicting the opener or the finale? No way Okung doesn't start the season and Cary Williams is going to beat out Tye Smith,

Just like flynn beat out wilson to huh? Sorry I' not set on williams like most are especially since he's 30.
Anything can happen, and as for the Okung bit i knew it would ruffle a few feathers, I personally think he's a great player but the injuries have now taken their toll and he's needs to be done.

Wilson beat our a career backup. I don't see the two as related. Cary Williams has been a starter in this league for a while now and i think he has the inside edge. He's not at the end of his career like Antione Winfield in 2012. You really think Tye Smith is going to placate Williams, Simon, and possibly Eric Pinkins to be the opening day starter opposite Sherman? What about him makes you say that?

As for Okung. He's in the final year of his contract. If he gets hurt it's pretty clear he won't be the starter opening day and i have no argument for that. But absent injury he isn't going to be benched game 1.

rideaducati

Reaction score
hawknation2015":4i8ckawh said:
rideaducati":4i8ckawh said:
hawknation2015":4i8ckawh said:
COM-PETE!!!

Offense

Defense

K Steven Hauschka
P Jon Ryan
LS Clint Gresham
PR Tyler Lockett

No, why do you think that? Graham will probably start outside at Split End . . . and Willson, McCoy, Gilliam, Poole, Tukuafu, etc. will line up inside at TE. By the end of the season, I hope the base alignment at receiver looks something like this:

X Jimmy Graham
Y Tyler Lockett
Z Doug Baldwin
TE Luke Willson

Graham is a tight end and will probablyline up as such because he will create better mismatches against safeties and line backers than he does against corners. Matthews is going to be on the field a lot more out wide than Graham.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Jesus.

Kearse is going to be on the team. He's young and still developing in his game. He's only one of two WRs that has at least three years of chemistry with Russ. He's solid as a blocker, and good on ST.

He's not the best WR but you can't deny that he has a knack for incredible plays. With Richardson's status up in the air, they aren't going to go into the season with unknown and unproven WRs.

Some people here have a very sensitive and critical view in judging a players negatives. Its ridiculous.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
rideaducati":37dzhal3 said:
Hawkfan77":37dzhal3 said:
blkhwk":37dzhal3 said:
Wouldn't be surprised if Kearse is not a starter or even on the roster by opening day. Also doubt McDaniel is there at DT. Simon, if healthy may be the RCB

By giving them $2,300,000+ to use elsewhere and reducing redundancy. Plus, if Kearse is cut, it means they found someone better.
Money is not an issue and what redundancy?

rideaducati

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2m3s65k7 said:
rideaducati":2m3s65k7 said:
Hawkfan77":2m3s65k7 said:
blkhwk":2m3s65k7 said:

Money is not an issue and what redundancy?

Redundancy is my way of saying that all the Seahawks receivers are the same.

kearly

Reaction score
blkhwk":26j9c1xw said:

Kearse will be on the roster for sure. They wouldn't have given him a 2nd round tender if their need for his specific skillset excelling on red line targets wasn't so severe. I would prefer that Lockett start too, but he's got an uphill climb to get there with the coaching staff and even if he does, there's just no way Kearse would be gone because they need him on sub packages to run red line routes.

McDaniel vs. Rubin will be interesting. I hope Seattle intends to keep both. PFF didn't grade McDaniel well last year but I think they are full of crap. He played a significant role in our run defense remaining stellar even after the loss of Brandon Mebane.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
rideaducati":3e3lvx39 said:
hawknation2015":3e3lvx39 said:
rideaducati":3e3lvx39 said:
hawknation2015":3e3lvx39 said:
COM-PETE!!!

Offense

Defense

K Steven Hauschka
P Jon Ryan
LS Clint Gresham
PR Tyler Lockett

X Jimmy Graham
Y Tyler Lockett
Z Doug Baldwin
TE Luke Willson

Graham is a tight end and will probablyline up as such because he will create better mismatches against safeties and line backers than he does against corners. Matthews is going to be on the field a lot more out wide than Graham.

Just curious, why do you think a safety is a better matchup for Graham than a corner? Safeties have as much speed as needed to keep up with a Jimmy Graham; it is his size advantage that makes him a tremendous mismatch when lined up against a DB. That size advantage will force defenses to decide whether they need to double Graham.

Your "Graham is a tight end and will probablyline up as such" is circular . . . Graham lined up at TE only 33% of time in New Orleans. I hope he does so even less in our offense.

kearly

Reaction score
I mostly agree with the list in the OP. I think Lewis is locked in at center for 2015, at least until performance becomes an issue. I think Bailey could lose his starting job to Glow if he shows up overweight and Glow kicks ass in the preseason, but I think the odds still lean in Bailey's favor this season because of his edge in experience.

I think Seattle will open most games in 11 personnel (1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR). I don't think it will be 21 personnel because the team has been trending away from fullback usage. I don't think we'll see a lot of games open with 12 personnel either. When Seattle goes double tight end, it's usually to have their TEs block, and right now our TE group is probably one of the worst blocking groups in the NFL. It looked to me that 11 personnel basically became the bread and butter of the offense more and more as the 2014 season went along.

titan3131

Reaction score
kearly":3vyvk2ak said:
I mostly agree with the list in the OP. I think Lewis is locked in at center for 2015, at least until performance becomes an issue. I think Bailey could lose his starting job to Glow if he shows up overweight and Glow kicks ass in the preseason, but I think the odds still lean in Bailey's favor this season because of his edge in experience.

I think Seattle will open most games in 11 personnel (1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR). I don't think it will be 21 personnel because the team has been trending away from fullback usage. I don't think we'll see a lot of games open with 12 personnel either. When Seattle goes double tight end, it's usually to have their TEs block, and right now our TE group is probably one of the worst blocking groups in the NFL. It looked to me that 11 personnel basically became the bread and butter of the offense more and more as the 2014 season went along.

Kearly I personally Have thought that with Jimmy we can run the patriots offense strat when gronk + henandez were in their haydays.

12 personnel and use no huddle to exploit man on man mismatches with Shawn and Te's.

I believe people refer to it as the "Twin Towers" And again I believe that carroll has wanted this since he got here.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Graham is a better matchup against linebackers and safeties because they do not usually cover as well as corners. I could see Graham outside on occasion, but he is a TE and will line up as such most of the time. The tall WR that will line up outside will probably be a wide receiver. My guess is Matthews is that tall receiver.

The Seahawks don't run the Saints offense. Graham lined up at the slot more than he did outside and he was just a couple feet wider than TEs usually line up so he wouldn't get caught up in traffic and he could get a free release. He was rarely the X receiver.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
rideaducati":2zq5pweu said:
Graham is a better matchup against linebackers and safeties because they do not usually cover as well as corners. I could see Graham outside on occasion, but he is a TE and will line up as such most of the time. The tall WR that will line up outside will probably be a wide receiver. My guess is Matthews is that tall receiver.

The Seahawks don't run the Saints offense. Graham lined up at the slot more than he did outside and he was just a couple feet wider than TEs usually line up so he wouldn't get caught up in traffic and he could get a free release. He was rarely the X receiver.

Our offense is different from the Saints'. In our offense, the X receiver is ideally supposed to be the taller, go-to receiver who lines up out wide on the line of scrimmage, i.e. Big Mike Williams, who had virtually identical measurables as Graham. The Saints already had Marques Colston, and even so, Graham played outside about 1/4 of the time.

Graham in the slot would be great . . . I would like to see him split his time there and outside. But we have more slot receivers (Baldwin and Lockett) than we do true X receivers. Matthews is a nice backup who can log snaps at Split End when Graham is in the slot; he is not yet a true go-to receiver.

Lining up Graham as an in-line blocker in our offense would be a huge waste. The TE in our offense has to be able to block. Even if he is not blocking while playing in-line, it would sap his energy while getting tied up with defenders on the line of scrimmage. It would truly be a Bevell-esque move.

Oh yeah, and if the opposing defense decides to line up a cornerback across from Graham, one who is not Darrelle Revis, you might as well just put a first down or TD on the board. 99% of cornerbacks cannot cover a big receiver like Graham one on one.

rideaducati

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3tjc8lzr said:
rideaducati":3tjc8lzr said:

Our offense is different from the Saints'. In our offense, the X receiver is ideally supposed to be the taller, go-to receiver who lines up out wide on the line of scrimmage, i.e. Big Mike Williams, who had virtually identical measurables as Graham. The Saints already had Marques Colston, and even so, Graham played outside about 1/4 of the time.

Graham in the slot would be great . . . I would like to see him split his time there and outside. But we have more slot receivers (Baldwin and Lockett) than we do true X receivers. Matthews is a nice backup who can log snaps at Split End when Graham is in the slot; he is not yet a true go-to receiver.

Lining Graham up as an in-line blocker in our offense would be a huge waste. It would sap his energy with getting tied up with defenders on the line of scrimmage. It would be Bevell-esque.

Oh yeah, and if the opposing defense decides to lineup a cornerback across from Graham, who is not Darrell Revis, you might as well just put a first down or TD on the board. 99% of cornerbacks cannot cover a big receiver like Graham one on one.

We'll see what happens, but I doubt Graham was brought in to be a wide receiver. The Seahawks like two TE sets which is what I think we'll see a lot of this season.

Why not use Matthews WITH Graham on the field at the same time? Having two tall targets is better than having one. Throw in Willson at 6'5 too...tall targets galore. Then you put in a shifty guy or two with an empty backfield and wreak havoc.

I bet we see more of the supposed backup Matthews than we do the definite backup Kearse.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
rideaducati":24he7i3z said:
hawknation2015":24he7i3z said:

Lining Graham up as an in-line blocker in our offense would be a huge waste. It would sap his energy with getting tied up with defenders on the line of scrimmage. It would be Bevell-esque.

Oh yeah, and if the opposing defense decides to lineup a cornerback across from Graham, one who is not Darrelle Revis, you might as well just put a first down or TD on the board. 99% of cornerbacks cannot cover a big receiver like Graham one on one.

We'll see what happens, but I doubt Graham was brought in to be a wide receiver. The Seahawks like two TE sets which is what I think we'll see a lot of this season.

As I already stated, Graham played TE just 33% of the time in New Orleans. Carroll himself described Graham as a "big receiver" after the trade. He has the same body type, speed, and jumping ability as a young BMW.

Why not use Matthews WITH Graham on the field at the same time? Having two tall targets is better than having one. Throw in Willson at 6'5 too...tall targets galore. Then you put in a shifty guy or two with an empty backfield and wreak havoc.

I bet we see more of the supposed backup Matthews than we do the definite backup Kearse.

Yes, I specifically addressed having Matthews and Graham on the field at the same time . . . Matthews at Split End and Graham in the slot. I just don't think Matthews has proven enough yet to be our No. 1 go-to receiver.

Graham, Baldwin, and Lockett might prove to be the best group of starting receivers in the division.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I can't imagine Baldwin and Lockett consistently lining up as the starting outside receivers in the base package when their job in that scenario will either be to (a) run block or (b) get behind the defense off play-action, which isn't necessarily the strength of either guy.

The guy opposite Baldwin has to be either play big or be a blazer. Should be Kearse, Richardson, Norwood or Matthews. So, if you're defining "starter" as the players who fill in blanks in the base package, then I don't think it will be Lockett unless he somehow supplants Baldwin (unlikely).

I think Pete is likely to preserve Lockett for returns, at least to start out. He'll get some plays, but mostly in various 3WR sets and as depth behind Baldwin in the base set.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
DavidSeven":36k2zx8y said:
I can't imagine Baldwin and Lockett consistently lining up as the starting outside receivers in the base package when their job in that scenario will either be to (a) run block or (b) get behind the defense off play-action, which isn't necessarily the strength of either guy.

The guy opposite Baldwin has to be either play big or be a blazer. Should be Kearse, Richardson, Norwood or Matthews. So, if you're defining "starter" as the players who fill in blanks in the base package, then I don't think it will be Lockett unless he somehow supplants Baldwin (unlikely).

I think Pete is likely to preserve Lockett for returns, at least to start out. He'll get some plays, but mostly in various 3WR sets and as depth behind Baldwin in the base set.

Have you considered they may use one of them in the slot and the other outside at flanker? Baldwin can certainly play the flanker position . . . he did his first three years here.

X Graham
Y Lockett
Z Baldwin

DavidSeven

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1m5eixzg said:
DavidSeven":1m5eixzg said:

Have you considered they may use one of them in the slot and the other outside at flanker? Baldwin can certainly play the flanker position . . . he did his first three years here.

X Graham
Y Lockett
Z Baldwin

OR

X Matthews
Y Graham
Z Baldwin

Yeah, I was mostly talking about the base formation where Graham or Willson would be in-line as a traditional TE, and there would be no 'Y' receiver on the field, which I think is the traditional way people think of "starting" lineups. That being said, in practice, they run a lot more 3WR, so I can see Lockett get a decent amount of plays in slot with Baldwin on the field as Z. However, I'll need to be convinced that's optimal. I'd like to see Doug slide inside or Graham play from the slot in most of those situations.