Opening Day Starters

hawknation2015

Reaction score
DavidSeven":xmyk1xcm said:
hawknation2015":xmyk1xcm said:
DavidSeven":xmyk1xcm said:
I can't imagine Baldwin and Lockett consistently lining up as the starting outside receivers in the base package when their job in that scenario will either be to (a) run block or (b) get behind the defense off play-action, which isn't necessarily the strength of either guy.

The guy opposite Baldwin has to be either play big or be a blazer. Should be Kearse, Richardson, Norwood or Matthews. So, if you're defining "starter" as the players who fill in blanks in the base package, then I don't think it will be Lockett unless he somehow supplants Baldwin (unlikely).

I think Pete is likely to preserve Lockett for returns, at least to start out. He'll get some plays, but mostly in various 3WR sets and as depth behind Baldwin in the base set.

Have you considered they may use one of them in the slot and the other outside at flanker? Baldwin can certainly play the flanker position . . . he did his first three years here.

X Graham
Y Lockett
Z Baldwin

OR

X Matthews
Y Graham
Z Baldwin

Yeah, I was mostly talking about the base formation where Graham or Willson would be in-line as a traditional TE, and there would be no 'Y' receiver on the field, which I think is the traditional way people think of "starting" lineups. That being said, in practice, they run a lot more 3WR, so I can see Lockett get a decent amount of plays in slot with Baldwin on the field as Z. However, I'll need to be convinced that's optimal. I'd like to see Doug slide inside or Graham play from the slot in most of those situations.

In addition to starting in the slot, Lockett could also play flanker. Flanker allows him space off the line of scrimmage to release downfield. As a deep threat, this may be the best utilization of Lockett.

Graham and Baldwin give us a lot of versatility. Graham can play in-line as a TE (though I hope he doesn't), in the slot, or outside as our go-to #1 target at Split End. Baldwin can play any of the three WR positions, although I think he is best at flanker or in the slot.

original poster

Reaction score
It's a nice situation to be in, isn't it? Finally having some genuine WR threats.

We could easily be a top 5 offense this year.

McGruff

Reaction score
Single WR Formations - Probably Kearse, maybe Graham or Willson
2WR Formations - Kearse at X, Baldwin at Z
3WR Formations - Kearse at X, Lockett at Z, Baldwin at Y

If Matthews steps up big time, he might make some reps from Kearse, or even relegate Kearse to being cut.

I don't see Lockett playing the slot. I see him outside at Z(flanker) where he will benefit from being off the LOS and have space to beat the press and make catches in space. Slot is tough, man, and while many people associate it with small WR's, the bigger characteristic is being able to play in traffic and make catches with bodies all around you. Its not a big RAC position. It requires the steady-eddie of a guy like Baldwin. Lockett couold do it, but his talents would be wasted there IMO.

Seafan

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1vtbqxo4 said:
blkhwk":1vtbqxo4 said:
Wouldn't be surprised if Kearse is not a starter or even on the roster by opening day. Also doubt McDaniel is there at DT. Simon, if healthy may be the RCB
How does cutting Kearse benefit the team for 2015?

Cap relief.